Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

White Dot "the one" - a decent all rounder?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking at this as my next ski - what is worrying me is how much of a dedicated park and pipe ski it is. I am really looking for an all-rounder, I spend a little time in the park but am more interested in getting some air from natural terrain features.

Ideally I am after a good all-rounder which does a bit of off piste too. The whitedot site describes it as

“The One is a super all-rounder; designed as a ‘do everything’, performance, all mountain ski.
Capable of incredible carved turns, at home on the biggest super pipes, it is a highly adaptable
multi-day tourer and wide enough to tackle powder and rough crud”

This sounds ideal for me - however I have read conflicting things so am really looking for some first hand reviews.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot of people seem to think that the Preacher works better as a WD 'all-rounder' but - no surprise - it really depends on what you plan to do most. It's silly to go 'all mountain' if you spend 90% of your time on piste and vica versa. It also depends on your level and physical characteristics. Reading a review done by someone raised in the mountains, who is a working professional with less than 10% body fat and thighs like anvils isn't really going to help someone at lower intermediate level who fancies changing it up to a bit of piste side time in the choppy stuff.

Hint - so far no one ski has proved to excel in all environments, there's always a compromise in some direction.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roscoeh, I had a demo pair for the day and they skied well, not so different to the my Kara's which I used at the time as an everyday ski. That said only about 10% of the day was on piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
roscoeh, Suggest you look v closely at the WD Director
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
roscoeh, Suggest you look v closely at the WD Director

Funnily enough I have a pair for sale Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're anywhere near Hemel tomorrow, demo one! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2117195

I had slightly similar goals to you, though I was looking for something that would primarily be an off-piste ski. The reviews I read of the One suggested that it wasn't quite what I was looking for, so I looked elsewhere (I got a Rossignol S3 in the end, one you might consider). Perhaps you're likely to spend more time in the park than I am, however.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AndAnotherThing.., Amazing restraint that, not to pimp your wares above..........I reckon they'd tick all roscoeh's boxes though wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am not near Hemel - I am in Scotland but would be there in a flash if it was doable.

I looked at the director but what was putting me off if the size. I demoed a pair of kung fujas at around the same width and I did not get on with them they were heavy big shovels in my opinion. I have heard nothing but great things about the director though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roscoeh, an all rounder with a "little bit of piste", sounds like the Preacher or the One IMHO

I know Whitedot did some Scottish demo weekends last season, hopefully they will pop up here and chip in shortly Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
roscoeh, Preacher is more suited to onpiste than the Director, if you're spending significant amounts of time onpiste. If you're spending much time offpiste, it's probably also a better option than the One.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had the one for a few years now, love them. Pretty versatile ski, they just lack a bit in the deeper stuff. Brilliant on piste though, quite stiff and they hold an edge like you wouldn't imagine!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BiG_tYrOnE wrote:
I've had the one for a few years now, love them. Pretty versatile ski, they just lack a bit in the deeper stuff. Brilliant on piste though, quite stiff and they hold an edge like you wouldn't imagine!!

+1
I only tried the One at HH last year and liked them alot. I thought they were good on piste, but excellent through the cruddy stuff at the side of the slope (it can get a bit chopped up towards the end of the day). I'd like to try them out on the mountain one day coz I think they could really be a good all rounder (as it says on the tin).
I didn't get on with the Director at all (my first time on such fat 100+ skis) and didn't have time tfor a go on the Preacher.

Hmmm...I'm tempted to nip down to HH tomorrow for another test run Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ALQ wrote:

Hmmm...I'm tempted to nip down to HH tomorrow for another test run Toofy Grin

Just do it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or don't bother........how on earth a fridge like HH can provide an environment in which it can be deemed to be representative of how a ski like a Director, Redeemer, Preacher or One performs in real conditions, proper powder and steeps etc is beyond me, you'd be better buying them, thrashing them in resort and ebaying them if they don't work (highly unlikely to be the ski in such situations more likely the rider IMO), if it looks right go for it and save the hassle......... wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29, fridges cut up pretty quick this time of year so you can get a fair simulation of soft bumps, crunk and scraped together with piled sugar (if you ski the poma line). If a big ski is bearable indoors it's a sign it's pretty versatile IMV. You want to see how usuable a ski is in conditions it's not designed for more than how well it does in what it is designed for.
snow report
Thinking about selling my Zag Slaps I bought last year 175cm-still under warranty,4 1/2 days use, actually they performed far better than expected on piste even though they are a rockered ski. Should have gone for a a pair a tad longer. If that's of interest drop me a PM.
snow conditions
roscoeh, I'm off to bed now, but I've PM'd you my mobile number. Call over the weekend at some point and I'll talk you through the choices in the Whitedot range if you like.
ski holidays
fatbob, OK I get that, fair point well made!
snow conditions
I've owned the One's for a year now and done 3 weeks on them.
Also owned the Preachers for two years and had about 8 weeks on those.

The one's are a cracking all-rounder but as said above every all-rounder has compromises.
The one's are lovely and stiff under-foot giving supreme edge-hold when you crank them up but they soften out towards the tip and tail to make them more manageable. I tend to ski on and off piste all over the mountain but when it gets deeper default back to the preacher so I can't really say I've skied the one's on a PROPER powder day bit the general performance off-piste seems reasonable in mixed conditions although the nose can deflect a bit in the crud.
Nice and quick edge to edge on the piste and as said above really really grip.
They also eat up the pipe. I'm not really one for the big kickers and rails so can't really tell you much about them in there.

As I mentioned above when it gets deep I revert to the Preacher. If you are buying a ski for the off-piste which you want to be able to use in all conditions (which by your mention of the fuja's it sounds like you are) then these might be a better shout. Nowhere near as quick edge to edge as the one but still grippy once you get them over. I skied them pretty much every day of the 2010-11 season that I did (about 6 weeks in all) and found they made me grin in all conditions.

The one's area good ski and if I'm not feeling man enough for the Preacher they're my go-to. But the preachers, they're so much more.

Hope this helps, might just be the rambling a of a man who's desperate for winter but hope it helps anyway.
snow report
@fastandicy, I've been skiing on my new Ones for 3 weeks now. They are brilliant on piste and packed or icy off piste. However I am pleased to revert to my Preachers too on powder days. I have touring bindings on the Ones and look forward to some tours in the Spring, the Ones seem light enough with ideal 89mm underfoot. I only wish I could remove the redundant raised tails (I don't even know what a park is for) to make it easier to stick upright in the snow when touring, or even getting them in a single gondola slot. Can this be done?
latest report
On the rocks wrote:
@fastandicy, I've been skiing on my new Ones for 3 weeks now. They are brilliant on piste and packed or icy off piste. However I am pleased to revert to my Preachers too on powder days. I have touring bindings on the Ones and look forward to some tours in the Spring, the Ones seem light enough with ideal 89mm underfoot. I only wish I could remove the redundant raised tails (I don't even know what a park is for) to make it easier to stick upright in the snow when touring, or even getting them in a single gondola slot. Can this be done?

They may not be reading this.... The previous posts were 3 1/2 years ago. Happy
snow report
Yes of course I'm not daft! But product review comments may be helpful to new readers rolling eyes
ski holidays
On the rocks wrote:
Yes of course I'm not daft! But product review comments may be helpful to new readers rolling eyes

Fair point Happy
latest report
On the rocks wrote:

Hi

Well I reckon a really good competent tech like @Spyderjon COULD chop off the tails of your skis, ensure the edges were well bonded at the cut and then seal the raw edge of the core in some clever fashion, but really it's never going to be worth the agro.

If you fancy a Whitedot touring ski then look at the R98 (especially in CL), it has a tail designed to address just the issues you cite. Not quite so suited to the piste though, and as the One is well up to the touring itself you are probably best just living with the rear tail (comes in bloody handy sometimes when you need to reverse out of a tight and dodgy situation).
latest report
Quote:

They also eat up the pipe.

@fastandicy, indeed they do and they went to the Sochi Olympics with Team GB to do just that.
snow report
midgetbiker wrote:

Well I reckon a really good competent tech like @Spyderjon COULD chop off the tails of your skis, ensure the edges were well bonded at the cut and then seal the raw edge of the core in some clever fashion, but really it's never going to be worth the agro.

Mate of mine cut off the tails of his Praxis Protests himself, which worked perfectly and no issues durability wise. Said it made kick turns easier, which I can well imagine (slide tail under other ski on steeper slopes etc).
snow report
@midgetbiker, of course cutting off the tails was tongue in cheek. The R98s will join the fold when I get time for some multi day touring, prob QK with my Fritshi Eagles, but in the meantime I'm happy to compromise on the tails for the piste and hard snow op performance
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy