Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back to skiing....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey, first post on here Very Happy

I am getting back in to skiing after 6 years off.

Looking in to buying new gear not too clued up on what to buy, have been looking at O'Neill, Nike and TNF but as not sure if I will be skiing often don't know what to buy. Probably looking around the £100-£150 mark for jacket same for salopettes any cheaper is better though.

O'Neill seems to be a decent make but with so many varieties I am lost with what would be the best buy, also Nike are not known for their ski wear (I guess) but have found a NIKE 6.0 Slainte jacket which gets some good reviews. As for TNF apart from being on the more expensive side (compared to the others) it looks like the better choice.
My first trip is to Whistler so any guidance around what to buy or what not to buy will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Phil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Phil27 welcome, O'neill jackets in tk maxx today at £65! Waterproof/windproof/wicking are the important thing for ski gear.
Layering is your friend, cotton is your enemy!
If it doesn't fit it won't work.
I would start with a baselayer of something wicking with long sleeves on top and long john type leggings, I got some compression underwear from aldi last year which stood up well and for £6.99 was a bargain.
A mid layer of thin fleece on top of that.
If your doing Whistler in January you might consider a down gilet as it can be mighty cold, however if your going mar/apr you won't need it unless you have raynauds.
Jacket and trousers, whether goretex or something like it, hyvent etc
Neck gaiter or buff.
Helmet/beany whichever is your preferance, in Canada most people will be wearing helmets.
Thin glove liners and either mittens or gloves, again goretex or something like it, hyvent etc
Ski socks, one pair at a time! Merino wool all the way for me.
When buying your jacket you'll be looking for plenty pockets and some form of venting at the armpits, if the jacket is ski specific they are pretty standard. The other thing I check for is that the material around the zip has an overlap so the zip when done up is covered so to avoid it rubbing my chin raw! I hate looking like i have stubble rash!
Trousers I like to fit quite high over my kidney area to avoid draughts, you might prefer a bib front or if your a boarder then buy them too big and wear them round your knees rolling eyes Very Happy I also look for vents in the leg and zips at the bottom to ease boots on/off without skiing in flares.
You will easily kit yourself out trousers and jacket for £150 unless your a brand snob. Have fun Phil Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Phil27 welcome, O'neill jackets in tk maxx today at £65! Waterproof/windproof/wicking are the important thing for ski gear.
Layering is your friend, cotton is your enemy!
If it doesn't fit it won't work.
I would start with a baselayer of something wicking with long sleeves on top and long john type leggings, I got some compression underwear from aldi last year which stood up well and for £6.99 was a bargain.
A mid layer of thin fleece on top of that.
If your doing Whistler in January you might consider a down gilet as it can be mighty cold, however if your going mar/apr you won't need it unless you have raynauds.
Jacket and trousers, whether goretex or something like it, hyvent etc
Neck gaiter or buff.
Helmet/beany whichever is your preferance, in Canada most people will be wearing helmets.
Thin glove liners and either mittens or gloves, again goretex or something like it, hyvent etc
Ski socks, one pair at a time! Merino wool all the way for me.
When buying your jacket you'll be looking for plenty pockets and some form of venting at the armpits, if the jacket is ski specific they are pretty standard. The other thing I check for is that the material around the zip has an overlap so the zip when done up is covered so to avoid it rubbing my chin raw! I hate looking like i have stubble rash!
Trousers I like to fit quite high over my kidney area to avoid draughts, you might prefer a bib front or if your a boarder then buy them too big and wear them round your knees rolling eyes Very Happy I also look for vents in the leg and zips at the bottom to ease boots on/off without skiing in flares.
You will easily kit yourself out trousers and jacket for £150 unless your a brand snob. Have fun Phil Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have no idea how I managed the double post! Admin?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy