Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Difficulty of black runs in Val d'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
The secret to that bit is to pause before the narrow section then just go down and left, straight over the edge without stopping!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That makes sense for when I do it again. But having not skied it before I needed to stop briefly to know what I was dealing with. Stopping for ages definitely makes it worse.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quite correct Honeybunny but understand people apprehension at not knowing what comes next first time they do it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HoneyBunny, I don't think I'm that brave Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did Sache for the first time this morning. What an amazing run!! My sixth time in Tignes & somehow I've never got round to trying it. The top bit was pisted but then we had deep fresh snow for the bit after you get the chance to turn off onto the red. Some of the best skiing I've had anywhere! At least until my other half fell over & lost a ski that I had to carry a long way down to him. Hard work!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Done all of these at one point or another, as people say it all depends on the conditions. The one I struggled with most was Foret. Narrow, busy with people out of their depth and really icy big moguls. We were good skiers, but nobody skied it - we simply got down it.

Golf I enjoyed, feels like you are away from everyone. Have done EPC in deep snow and that was tough.

My favourite is one that almost killed me - Sache. I took my skis off at the top of the narrow section to help someone (massive error on my part) and slipped. It was icy. I slid for ages, fast until the sharp right hand turn just after it meets the red and went into and through the nets. Queue 2 operations and a ruined knee - my boots got caught in the net and even though it saved my life it did some damage!! Completely my fault though, never take your skis off!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ouch, sounds bloody scary! Hope you're fully recovered now @lowerist.

I think one day I'll attempt EDC and maybe a few others in Tignes with an instructor, but I don't think I'll ever do Foret, Piste S or Grizzly. I just stick to the blacks I know I can do (which is weird, because I had to do them for the first time at some point!!).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HoneyBunny, @Steve Angus, are you just hoping that there's no-one either sitting or falling just below the lip?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Me and my 2 junior girls found the face to be a bit of a let down only 1 short steep pitch. Santons on the other hand was just horrible.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@lowerist,
Sounds horrendous, a sobering reminder about removing skis. I hope your knee gets better and good luck.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:
@HoneyBunny, @Steve Angus, are you just hoping that there's no-one either sitting or falling just below the lip?

I'm not going fast! I just think it's better to keep going than stop on the edge and look down the steep bit.

Also, if anyone fell, they'd be sliding down it, not sitting just under the lip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sitting below the lip.... a) that is not likely - probably on top of the lip I should have thought and b) they shouldn't be sitting just below the lip anyway really! But you can see over the lip as you ski up to it and adjust your line anyway!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steve Angus, agree on both points, but I'd rather be standing on the slope saying "you shouldn't be sitting there" than laying in Dr Alan's clinic saying "they shouldn't have been sitting there"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HoneyBunny wrote:
I'm not going fast! I just think it's better to keep going than stop on the edge and look down the steep bit.

I like looking down it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="Whitegold"]The steeps in Val Despair, on and off piste, are good but not great.

The tourist-marketing board does a phenomenal job of making the skiing in Val-Tignes appear tougher than it really is [quote

http://youtube.com/v/ZGHNnTxKtAI
snow conditions
sazza42 wrote:
Did Sache for the first time this morning. What an amazing run!! My sixth time in Tignes & somehow I've never got round to trying it. The top bit was pisted ...

Newbie question - how often are the pistes at EK groomed? Does the resort publish a daily grooming report? Here in the Colorado the grooming report is posted on the web site, displayed on signs up on the mountains, heck at Vail they hand out printed copies. I have looked at both the Val d'Isere and the Tignes web site and have found no mention of grooming status.
ski holidays
It's rare for European resorts to post grooming status. Courchevel used to iirc, and I think Val disere did at one point, but I haven't seen one in years.

That said everything except blacks would be groomed nightly, blacks very some never, some occasionally, some nightly. Ime face is groomed most of the time as is the bottom of trolles, others in the area not so much. Jess
latest report
Val D'Isere do it every day, look for the little green piste basher by the side of the relevant piste status here:

http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

Oddly, next door in Tignes they don't, we must we well 'ard wink
ski holidays
Chamonix does it as well. And use Skiplan. As do many other stations these days.
snow report
I FINALLY skied Epaule du Charvet! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And (in my humble opinion), I skied it well - did the steep section non-stop at a decent pace. I can confirm it's bloody steep, and appears to get steeper and steeper as you go down! I was definitely on the edge of my comfort zone LOL. It's far steeper than Face.

However, the only reason I managed to do it is because it must have been pisted at some point and there were no moguls on it! The snow was firm and grippy. I imagine when it's at its bumpy best/worst, it's a whole different beast, and not one I'd fancy trying at all.

Still, I did it!! Yay me.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, Did you end up poling at the end? IIRC, unless the snow is really firm, it is quite a trek out
latest report
I got as far as the restaurant then stopped and waited for the others, so had to pole for a bit after that, not sure how much further I would have got!
latest report
a.j. wrote:
It's rare for European resorts to post grooming status. Courchevel used to iirc, and I think Val disere did at one point, but I haven't seen one in years.

It used to be reported on Radio Val d'Isere. The English language section is much shorter this year and neither grooming nor piste closures are reported any more. Disappointing.
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
I got as far as the restaurant then stopped and waited for the others, so had to pole for a bit after that, not sure how much further I would have got!

Don't be so modest, you'd have got all the way Very Happy

Not sure if the reason I did was as Im not so considerate as you waiting for others or cos I simply heard the call of Cocorico Twisted Evil
ski holidays
@andyman, definitely option B - you overtook me haha
latest report
Well I'm happy to announce that the lower reaches of Face are totally unsuitable as a first ski run after 12 months away from the snow. My wretched youngest son dropped his goggles from the Bellevarde chair on our first ascent of the holiday, so we had no alternative but to explore the off-piste alongside Face / Stade Olympique. We survived. But lad #3 definitely wasn't flavour of the day!
latest report
@HoneyBunny,
Well done! Is it really as steep as that middle section of Face de Bellevarde? Not in my memory...although Epaule de Charvet does have a mean camber and is steep enough for me. It is a different beast with big moguls. What's your next still-to-do challenge??
Sounds like your first run down much better than mine. Taken on it as an early intermediate...first morning of week...about 9.30am....very icy. Our 'guide' was snarled at for rest of day. Character building stuff. Shocked
snow conditions
@intermediate, Thank you! Very Happy

Epaule felt a LOT steeper than any section of Face. I don't mind Face at all now, unless it's really icy. It feels the same pitch as skiing Plan off Solaise, and in fact I absolutely LOVED my last ski down it. Epaule was STEEEEEEEEEEP! Must have been pant-wetting in icy conditions.

I actually went past the drop-in to Foret on the last day, and thought I'll never ski that bad boy. Super-steep, not very wide and big moguls. No thanks. It was actually the first time in about 13 trips to the EK I'd ever skied Mangard, and what a gorgeous run that is! (who graded that as a blue though?!)

I think my next challenge will have to be up the Col Des Ves chair and down Pramecou. I've looked at it so many times and thought "naaaaaah...", but I think I could do it. I think it's just that once you're on the chair, you're committed to a black LOL.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

Epaule was STEEEEEEEEEEP! Must have been pant-wetting in icy conditions.

Well my very first Epaule run when icy remains vivid 20+ years on. I feared we'd slide down onto Santons. Since then I think I've cracked it (but never complacent).
Strangely I find the flattish, sometimes narrow approach worse than the main piste. The bumps on that never seem in the right place for my skis!

Foret wasn't too scary but became a long hard slog and I wouldn't recommend as enjoyable...not with knees like mine.
Mangard....yes a good run and agree under-graded in parts....seem to remember a fully committed schuss to avoid uphill poling at end? Is there a small bridge on it too??

Yes I see Pramecou piste on map again, after a few seasons unpisted I think. Seems to have retained naturide variant, called Guerlain Chicherit (roughly translates as 'I'm up a sh*t creek war zone without a paddle'). Chair wasn't running when I was there at Christmas.

I love that Col de Ves valley. Nothing too steep that I remember, occasionally narrowish. IMO a touch over-graded at black, though I can understand tactically why. Often hard-packed and wolves might eat struggling intermediates.

A proper roller-coaster and often quiet. I've done 3 consecutive runs down it several times. Relax on antique chairlift in between and admire amazing rock formations and scenery. Highly recommended. Very Happy
latest report
Managed to ski the Face in January, the tough bit is that really steep part, I fell over after nearly straight lining down it and was laughing nervously when I got back up!

Santons was actually very nice this time round for me, just remembered how narrow it was and it was pretty quiet too, which helps.
snow conditions
HoneyBunny wrote:

I actually went past the drop-in to Foret on the last day, and thought I'll never ski that bad boy. Super-steep, not very wide and big moguls. No thanks.

My whole family adore Foret. I really don't think it's much more challenging than Epaule, so, if you enjoyed that, you should have no problem with Foret.

I think that the problem with Foret is that the drop-in looks intimidating and, because it's at the top of the run, there's always a soft alternative if you're feeling nervous. Although it gets a little narrower further down, there's nothing steeper than those first few turns. If you can survive the start, you'll be fine. Even if you fall, the mogils are so big that you'll never slide more than a few metres.

I'd encourage you to give it a whirl. Just make sure it's not icy or you'll never forgive me!
ski holidays
intermediate wrote:
@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

Epaule was STEEEEEEEEEEP! Must have been pant-wetting in icy conditions.

Well my very first Epaule run when icy remains vivid 20+ years on. I feared we'd slide down onto Santons. Since then I think I've cracked it (but never complacent).
Strangely I find the flattish, sometimes narrow approach worse than the main piste. The bumps on that never seem in the right place for my skis!

There were no bumps at all when I did it, I got off very lightly I think...

Quote:
Foret wasn't too scary but became a long hard slog and I wouldn't recommend as enjoyable...not with knees like mine.
Mangard....yes a good run and agree under-graded in parts....seem to remember a fully committed schuss to avoid uphill poling at end? Is there a small bridge on it too??

Yes and yes - but it doesn't matter how fast you schuss, you can never make it up the hill right at the end, it's always a walk up.

Quote:
Yes I see Pramecou piste on map again, after a few seasons unpisted I think. Seems to have retained naturide variant, called Guerlain Chicherit (roughly translates as 'I'm up a sh*t creek war zone without a paddle'). Chair wasn't running when I was there at Christmas.

Yes, Guerlain Chicherit always looks like a very long descent of bumps!!

Quote:
I love that Col de Ves valley. Nothing too steep that I remember, occasionally narrowish. IMO a touch over-graded at black, though I can understand tactically why. Often hard-packed and wolves might eat struggling intermediates.

A proper roller-coaster and often quiet. I've done 3 consecutive runs down it several times. Relax on antique chairlift in between and admire amazing rock formations and scenery. Highly recommended. Very Happy

OK, you've convinced me, will aim to give it a bash next season.

Jonny Jones wrote:

My whole family adore Foret. I really don't think it's much more challenging than Epaule, so, if you enjoyed that, you should have no problem with Foret.

I think that the problem with Foret is that the drop-in looks intimidating and, because it's at the top of the run, there's always a soft alternative if you're feeling nervous. Although it gets a little narrower further down, there's nothing steeper than those first few turns. If you can survive the start, you'll be fine. Even if you fall, the mogils are so big that you'll never slide more than a few metres.

I'd encourage you to give it a whirl. Just make sure it's not icy or you'll never forgive me!

It was definitely the first bit that was off-putting!! Maybe one day ... or not wink

I know the very good skiers love it, I just think I'd be surviving it more than skiing it lol
latest report
@HoneyBunny, Pramencou used to be red many seasons ago, possibly 1999/2000. Haven't been up there for many seasons. The chair is a long long cold ride and you had to jump off at the top. All very interesting. Might have changed now.
latest report
Did Sachs this morning. The top was lovely. But when we hit the trees it turned into a soft snow, mogalled nightmare. It was our first run of the day and it nearly finished me off. Shocked
Not the first time I have done it, but one of the toughest.
snow report
@NE1, yes, in fact I think it had 2 red graded variants from the same retro chairlift. Presumably now a similar line followed by the black and the naturide. It is one of those areas we should try to use more, I think, or the liftco would have an excuse to close it.
ski holidays
@intermediate, The Mairie would never let the close it! Pramecou is now little more than a track to get you to some great off piste (although they did bit an extra bit of piste in the bowl to the left of the lift this year).
snow report
intermediate wrote:
@NE1, yes, in fact I think it had 2 red graded variants from the same retro chairlift. Presumably now a similar line followed by the black and the naturide. It is one of those areas we should try to use more, I think, or the liftco would have an excuse to close it.

It was all very deserted up there a couple of weeks back. Easter holidays so peak period, glorious sunshine, snow to die for and absolutely no-one there. We only did one very lonely lap, though. You sit on the antique chairlift for half a lifetime, and the run (we did Guerlain) is over in a quick but very satisfying blast. It hardly seems worth the time investment.

The black rating seems very generous in good conditions. We did the run last year, though, and a thick, dense cloud descended while we were on the chairlift. A blind descent of a mogulled slope covered with a few inches of fresh was definitely challenging enough to be regarded as a proper black by anyone's standards.

Definitely a suitable run for nervous black skiers in good conditions, but definitely unsuitable in poor weather IMV.

snow conditions
@chocksaway,
Quote:

The Mairie would never let the close it! Pramecou

Three cheers for la Mairie...maybe the chairlift has Grade 1 listed protection?

@Jonny Jones, great picture...wish I was there now...or have the marmots taken over the piste?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy