Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

luggage and ski carriage for BA flight to Heathrow and then Air Canada flight

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have flights booked down to Heathrow and then on to Calgary with Air Canada.

As BA and Air Canada have different baggage allowances trying to work out best options.

Has anyone had experience of this recently?

I know on Air Canada if you take skis you get boots for free seperately but not the case on BA and they'd count as seperate bags to be paid for.

So was thinking we both take big bag each including ski boots and pay for an extra bag for the skis (we have a double hard case) as no way we'd get all our clothes and 2 pairs of ski boots in one case within weight. Think that's going to be quite expensive though! Puzzled

Also looked on both BA and Air Canada websites and don't seem to be able to book extra baggage online unless you're checking in. Does this mean only way to do it in advance is to call the call centres?

Any advice much appreciated Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get one of the massive Mountain Equipment duffle bag type things from Cotswold Outdoor. As they weigh nothing themselves, you should be able to get everything in (when you stuff stuff inside the boots they don't really take much additional room). Can also put clothes/kit in the ski bag too.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, crikey, I was going to call you out on the ME bags weighing "nothing" but you're absolutely close - the 100L one tips the scales at a mere 2.1kg - awesome.

MCL, can you get boots into carry on luggage - meaning less hassle on the checked stuff and a guarantee that your boots arrive with you? I don't think I'd do a "big" holiday again without having my boots with me...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MCL, where are you travelling from? We just drove to Heathrow from the North West last year to fly Air Canada to Toronto and on to Denver. Air Canada's baggage policy is extremely skier friendly, for the first time ever we were not restricted in any way and could pack everything we wanted to in the configuration we wanted to. Is there not something on the BA website which maybe states that the baggage allowance of the TA sector will also apply to the domestic flight?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks for replies folks. Very Happy

Yes I was not liking the idea of having ski boots seperate; as more likely not to make it there or get damaged.

we're flying down from Edinburgh. On way down we're night before so have to get bags back and then re- check in again the next day but the return journey bags will just go straight through.

I've got a massive bag. Not sure will get ski boots or much in the hard ski case though.

I'll maybe call BA and see what they say. From what I've read on other threads calling air canada sounds like a nightmare!!

Probably going to be least hassle to just pay the extra bag for skis; should still work out cheaper than ski hire for 2 for 2 weeks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MCL, I am pretty sure that we took two cabin pieces each on Air Canada last season, if you can do this then you can take your boots as one of them if you can get that by BA on the domestic flight. Worth checking.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MCL, the reason you can't pay online for the extra bag is that you're not flying with BA the whole way and their systems can't cope with that scenario. When I rang up with a similar query last year, they added a note to my file so that I could pay the online price at the airport check-in desk - a great option as it gave us flexibility and low cost.

A double ski bag is the way to go for the skis. In the end we managed to fit our boots into our suitcases, but I'm sure that the hand-luggage option would be viable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi jonny

thanks for your feedback, yes think will have to get bags out at some point and see what we can fit where and then call BA to see if they will accept a big ski case as one of the free hold luggage; reckon that save us on any extra costs Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MCL, the good thing about proper airlines (as opposed to low cost) is that you have a decent hand baggage allowance - laptop bag / small backpack + weekend case.

So I take:

- Snowboard bag with skis, boots, wash bag, plus ski clothes that take it up to the weight limit.
- Carry on weekend bag. This is generally big enough to take all my apres ski clothing.
- Small backpack with my laptop, passport, wallet etc

All within the free weight allowance.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy