Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corail Lunea night train service Paris-Bourg St Maurice - anyone got a Timetable?

Poster: A snowHead
October, and time to book those train journeys again (the only sensible way to the Tarantaise).
Favourite way is evening Eurostar to Paris then overnight Corail Lunea service to Bourg St Maurice.
All websites I've visited suggest it runs every night.
And it is running on Tuesday December 18, Paris to Bourg.
But not, it seems. on Sunday 23 December or Sunday January 13 (Bourg to Paris direction)
Nor for that matter on Wednesday January 9th Paris to Bourg (don't actually need that day, but was wondering if Sunday was the problem)
Just now phoned SNCF on 0033892353539: the lady who answered didn't know why the trains were not running.
So what we need is a timetable.
And for a train fan, a timetable is quite important if the service is unreliable.
You can book Eurostar 4 months in advance - always worth doing to get the cheapest tickets
But Rail Europe only allows 3 months
No good if you've booked Eurostar to find the connecting Corail Lunea doesn't run.
Help!
Anyone know where to get a timetable from?
(lots of sites suggest they have access to a timetable, but then fail to deliver)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonpim, it's been a long time !! Welcome back. Have you tried ringing Rail Europe (although I suspect you might get the same answer?). And there's this lot who have been recommended before.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last winter the problem was works on the line which they were trying to do at night on a few nights.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, welcome back Jonpim. Had assumed you had assumed a new handle.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, wow! Welcome back, I'll raise a choccy hobnob by way of a toast to your return. snowHead
Sorry can't help with the train stuff..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for calling Rail Europe on Picadilly. Suspect engineering works again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim, WOW where have you been? Very Happy Can't help with the trains but glad to see you back!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And for the timetable, you want a copy of the Thomson European Rail Timetable, which should have the full winter timetable in the October or November editions. http://www.europeanrailtimetable.co.uk/
It's not available online, just as a printed version. But I suspect even that won't have full details of engineering works in it.

I've been hit by the sleepers failing to be scheduled at times that I need them in the past, but have always put off buying the Eurostar leg until I can book the whole journey so haven't lost out financially. If the sleepers don't appear I usually just get a cheap motel near Gare de Lyon in Paris and then get the first TGV down in the morning; it should get you to the slopes in time for lunch.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim, Not exactly a timetable as such but the nearest I can find online is via this link Paris - Bourg St Maurice
You can look at the train times for a particular day and it is relatively easy to look at different dates.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 17-10-12 22:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can find the timetables for the regional trains (TER) for the Savoie region here - http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/rhone_alpes/Fr/Se_deplacer_en_TER/Avant_mon_voyage/Fiches_horaires/Default.aspx
Again it doesn't have a timetable for the TGV services but it might be useful for somebody
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, Nice to hear from you again Smile If I'm right, you're in London - try popping in to Rail Europe in Picadilly - I've found them very helpful in the past, & if you pick your moment, suprisingly quiet in there
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, look at that: the usual excellent Snowheads response.
Hells Bells, I'd forgotten about Rail Canterbury - thank you.
Unfortunately have not found Rail Europe at all helpful by phone.
Boredsurfing, when was it i promised you some chocky hobnobs? Ages ago I know. Will try to do better this coming season.
Was right down into Montalbert more than once last season. Shame on me! Blush
kieranm, the European Rail Timetable: "over 500 pages of rail and ferry timetables covering every country of Europe" - I bet that's riveting reading. Think i'll leave that as last resort. (Thank you all the same).
Meantime, I have resorted to your system. Coming back December 23 I need to find a hotel near to Gare du Nord, so can get the first Eurostar out, arriving St Pancras 08.30, and into work by 9.00 (is there a happy but tired smiley?).
Any suggestion for cheap-but-cheerful hotels near Paris railway stations?
skichampcouk, thank you for that - most excellent. Running through the list it would seem i was lucky going for December 18 - the night service appears to have gone into hibernation for January. Pity.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, hi Smile
(Sorry, no help to offer rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonpim wrote:
kieranm, the European Rail Timetable: "over 500 pages of rail and ferry timetables covering every country of Europe" - I bet that's riveting reading. Think i'll leave that as last resort. (Thank you all the same).

You DO need that. It is indeed rivetting reading. Best ever book to have in a rucksack bag when travelling. In my youth I interrailed many times and still get high on that thing. It will be a good companion on your Lunea berth to catch some good sleep and fun. Update me on the alternatives for a Sarajevo-Tromso via Berlin and Upsala if you need inspiration.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Which sites promisted timetables and failed to deliver Jonpim?
ski holidays
Oh Piddle! Nothing gets past you sharp-eyed snowheads lot.
An innocent throwaway remark, but Daniel Snowcarbon spotted it.
Now i'll have to plough through pages of History to find the guilty sites.
Evidence and References has always been my Banner Cry - time to make good, methinks.
Might take some time Daniel, but I will try and hunt them down.

volklwaffen, I don't suppose there is an eBook version on the timetable, is there?
snow report
Peoples, I've just been checking which Corail Lunea trains (to Moutiers, Aime and Bourg) are bookable so far, since clearly Snowheads have been having trouble finding prices and info on Rail Europe. So let me know if this is useful: http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/blog/which-corail-lunea-trains-are-bookable
latest report
Daniel Snowcarbon, it is indeed - Guess my booking for Good Friday will have to wait a while... Thank you.

Is your price quoted inc. the Eurostar leg?

AR
ski holidays
jonpim: for hotels I normally look for a motel such as Formule1, Ibis, or similar within a few stops on the metro from the station that I'm booking for. Given how far in advance you're booking I'd expect you to be able to get something for around 40 euro. They are pretty simple, but clean and good value in my opinion. Other snowheads have had a worse experience though
ski holidays
Daniel Snowcarbon, thank you for your comments and research (published on your site). Excellent work.
And very strange that overnight trains seem to have re-appeared in some December dates where I am sure there were none before.
I have gone even more geeky, and used skichampcouk's train finder to look at all dates from Dec 14 to January 14.
The overnight train is there for every day except Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve, but not there for every date from January 6 (not sure how that squares with your data on Jan 4-12.).

I really hope to be going out on the night train Wednesday January 23, but remain ready to be disappointed.
snow report
Daniel Snowcarbon, found one. Dead End Timetable Search.
This one is not so much Dead End as Perputual Round-and-round-getting-nowhere.
Start here, and see if you can do any better than I did. Smile
latest report
Jonpim, sorry I've been away but I've been creating a page that might be useful for you and other snowHeads. This page (on my site) shows a load of updated bookable fares all in one page - hope it proves useful. Some crazy high fares on peak dates, but some decent ones too, compared to flying: http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/train-guides/insider-tips/ski-trains-price-check is the page.
snow conditions
Hello all,

new to this forum, but found this post thanks to google as I am having the same problem looking for the sleepers at easter. Contacted Rail canterbury who reckon this is just the french being slow! Who'd have thought it.

In terms of timetables the following page is the best, i have found after much effort.

http://www.intercites.sncf.com/reseau-intercites/lignes-intercites-lunea-teoz

click on the route you want, paris austerlitz-savoie covers trains to bourg st maurice as well as trains to st gervais and on to chamonix.

you should than see pdf links to actual real timetables currently in operation, and adapted ones if there are any engineering works happening. the paper timetables cover the sleepers, the TGVs and local chambery services.

Interesting to note the direct link to Charles de Gaulle airport and Marne la valley - chessy (disneyland Paris).

Cheers
snow conditions
The inbound overnight train from Bourg to Paris is now on sale for the night of April 6th. So all sorted now thank to my friends at Rail Canterbury. Have had no information from Rail Europe on this train being available.
ski holidays
Blinder, they still haven't released the outbounds to get us there the week before tho'! Cantebury have reserved our couchettes for the 6th, but we/they 're still waiting for the others... wink
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
Blinder, they still haven't released the outbounds to get us there the week before tho'! Cantebury have reserved our couchettes for the 6th, but we/they 're still waiting for the others... wink

Am going out by Day train
snow report
March 29th overnight Paris to Bourg has now been released.. and is already full!!!
snow report
My contact at Rail Canterbury has just told me that they have 5 places on the couchette train from Paris to Bourg on for the night of 29 March out & April 6th back, plus all the connections.

If anyone is interested then give 01227 450088 a ring and ask for Jacky.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look at the direct booking site .tgv-europe.com/en/ - also shows some berths available - also some seats on another train (if you can stand 8-10 hours in a seat!)

This is the standard SNCF/TGV website, all in English, and will post tickets to UK for free. Pay in euros with UK credit card. No credit card extra costs, except what your credit card company charges for euro/pound conversion.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy