Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st horseman of the snowboarding apocalpse

Poster: A snowHead
Burton slaughters a bunch of "core" snowboarding brands

http://www.yobeat.com/2012/10/23/the-big-burton-restructure/

Not a great sign of a healthy industry?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just seen this - some major shake ups of brands, especially Gravis being Asia-only... I thought R.E.D was a key brand but obviously Anon helmets might have a better 'cool' factor.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Asia is welcome to yet another silly 'lifestyle brand' as far as I'm concerned. And dropping Foursquare, Special Blend and Forum doesn't surprise me either, as my experience of their stuff was that it was frankly pants.

Seems to me Burton was getting bloated and losing its way, whole thing s probably very sensible.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I didn't realise that Forum was a Burton Brand Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That sucks for a mate of mine - he's a pro surfer, Analog is one of his main sponsors Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a settling out of product lines in a maturing industry that is finding it's own natural level following the initial craze/hype. Happens to most, if not all, new 'fads'.

Artex, Skateboards, Toasted Sandwich Makers.............

Fashion comes and goes but quality never goes out of style, so core brands is where it will be.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
Asia is welcome to yet another silly 'lifestyle brand' as far as I'm concerned. And dropping Foursquare, Special Blend and Forum doesn't surprise me either, as my experience of their stuff was that it was frankly pants.

Seems to me Burton was getting bloated and losing its way, whole thing s probably very sensible.

No doubt - product quality across Burton is generally crap IME - being designed for the Johnny One week a year snowboarder or the Asian market who buy new each season. But having clearly bought out other brands to stifle competition - not about keeping it core, they just didn't want a ski company competing with them on snowboard clothing or boards with a heritage brand, they've let them die. Could be a good thing for the consumer - they buy Burton or they buy something else, not "Burton by stealth. Part of the problem was probably internal factions fighting over the same product space.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I never knew 4square and Analogue were Burton brands.
I have a jacket and a pair of pants from the former and I am very happy with them, unlike some others it seems. They performed well even in dire weather..
And I have Anon goggles which I am happy with.
And an Analog techincal t-shirt....
And Burton Impact Gloves which I love..

All in all I am much more the Burton man than I ever realised! Certainly was not by design though..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brands come and go. Makes no sense to keep paying to keep something going thats not working out.

As for the corporate tenticles, didn't someone post a really neat pic of who owns who laid out like a pistemap a while ago... *searches*

Found it...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-HqbAFD_56us/T_Uy13TC0nI/AAAAAAAAEj0/Ny5LA8xSFP8/s1600/Snowboard-Brands-Piste-Map.png
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think Burton has a wide range of stuff, from the fashion end of the market through to the AK stuff.

I've been impressed by the AK stuff, which is as good as any snow gear I've used. I dare say the fashion stuff lasts less well, but then that's the whole point of "fashion". Pay money, make choice.

Boards.... again, it depends what you buy. The Burton Stellar is the best built board I've seen short of my Kessler, which costs about twice as much as the Burton. Burton produce a range of stuff, their powder boards are generally above average when compared to the competition in terms of construction, in my experience of riding them.

Burton's warranty is second to none. They may be big and corporate, but they don't behave like it.

As far as what they're doing... just marketing, I'd say. I rode with some of the founders of those brands a few years ago, their clothing was fashion not function at that time, but they all made lots out of the deal. What's not to like?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig, Actually kinda agree their warranty is ok and the dealer network bought in enough to back it up. Except in Chile where I had the misfortune of a crappy Burton plastic base plate snapping on me and no stores in 2 major resorts plus a burb of Santiago could help. Cynically I think they can afford for their warranty to be good as they shift so much volume to people who are never going to wear kit out.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That graphic is interesting I had no idea Nikita wasn't still Icelandic. The shop here is awesome and has a mini ramp and jibby snowboarding/skiing out back depending on the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, That chart is fascinating, how up to date is it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thats as of 2012. Illicit re-did the article this year...

http://www.illicitsnowboarding.com/2012/07/faceless-corporations-that-run.html#more
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
meh, picked up Nikita for €8m last year.
snow report
Warranty: that's the business model I'm sure.

I like Burton's approach:

(1) Despite making a lot of pap for obese fashionistas, they also make some decent stuff. Obviously the trick is to know the difference wink.

(2) Their warranty works. I can bolt my Titanium Race bindings onto an EST board with two bolts secure in the knowledge that if I rip the channel out of it, they'll replace it. No argument, no hassle, just a replacement. I keep trying to do it, but so far it's never happened, but I love the confidence that gives me. Prior, for example, has lost thousands of dollars from me for that one simple reason: limited warranty.

(3) Jake does still ride, even though his style leaves something to be desired.

I'm glad they're not as dominant as they were. Like Apple or Microsoft or IBM before them, it's not healthy to be too dominant.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy