Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sun screen or Not to Sun Screen

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

Will be going out to Ski the Arlberg area in January which is a lot higher altitude than I have gone before. Reading other posts I'm wondering if I will need to take any sun block with me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wallyynot, you should be wearing sunblock wherever you are.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wallyynot, I agree with Hells Bells - always need to protect your skin.
Furthermore, I suggest P20 - to everyone. I think it's an awesome once-a-day solution to never getting burned.
... and not having to carry it about all day (like regular sunblock) just to phaff about reapplying it at lunch or whenever.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes you will.

I once skied for a single afternoon (4 hours or so) in bright sunshine and despite having factor 25 on got myself very serious sunburn, take sun block (preferably one with some moisturising effects as your skin will dry out as well) and apply at the very least as often as you would if laying on a beach in Spain, you will burn faster on a sunny day with snow on teh ground at moderate altitudes than you would on a summers day at the beach.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells wrote:
wallyynot, you should be wearing sunblock wherever you are.

This.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flowa wrote:
wallyynot, I agree with Hells Bells - always need to protect your skin.
Furthermore, I suggest P20 - to everyone. I think it's an awesome once-a-day solution to never getting burned.
... and not having to carry it about all day (like regular sunblock) just to phaff about reapplying it at lunch or whenever.

Is SPF 20 enough though?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, see my suggestion - much nicer to the environment too 'cause you're not leaving greasey cream in the sea or pool.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
agw, It's blocking both types of rays so you tan but you never burn. It really is amazing stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Factor 50 chez paulio. Always.

Last holiday my sister ignored my advice, and spent a day in bed puking with sunstroke, and the rest of the holiday looking like the Singing Detective.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you tell that I wish I had shares in the company Blush

I don't rolling eyes Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last Easter in L2A my head got burnt (I have very short hair) through the vents in my helmet Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
agw, P20 is a brand name and you can get it in SPF10 or SPF20, just to confuse.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B wrote:
(I have very short hair)

Is that what they're calling it now? Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, Just be thankful you didn't get a sun burnt helmet. Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flowa, Very Happy Full head of honest, cropped with a number 1 though

L2A Easter 2012

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 17-10-12 13:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
geepee, I've a friend who risks that on holiday, I'll ask how he gets on Very Happy
latest report
flowa wrote:
agw, It's blocking both types of rays so you tan but you never burn. It really is amazing stuff.

Hmmm, the apply once a day thing is appealing but I've got that dark hair/fair skin Celt thing going on so I'd need some convincing to come down from SPF 30 or 50.
Don't most sunscreens protect from both UVA and UVB these days?
latest report
Colin B wrote:
I'll ask how he gets on Very Happy

Very carefully after sunburn, I should think. wink
snow conditions
Hahaha.
ski holidays
Sorry.... but I do have a friend who burnt his back *really* badly (to the point of blistering Sad ) whilst out on a boat because he relied on one application of P-20 to last him the day.
ski holidays
geepee wrote:
agw, P20 is a brand name and you can get it in SPF10 or SPF20, just to confuse.

Indeed but it behaves very differently to the 'factors' we're more familiar with. At the last EoSB I just used the 10 version and was fine. elston is much fairer than me and he sticks with 20. The only problem we've ever had was when his mum missed a bit on her right cheekbone - boy, she burned.
Try not to miss a spot.

PS: I should say that I still like to have a lip balm with me 'cause the skin is different and drys out easily. I still stick the P20 on them but I wear a lip balm over the top too.

PPS: It's also brilliant for snorkling in 40+degree sun in the Gulf of Aqaba.
snow report
flowa wrote:

PPS: It's also brilliant for snorkling in 40+degree sun in the Gulf of Aqaba.

I bet you can't see very much though. I prefer to snorkel in the sea. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
miranda, gosh that's a shame about your friend. I've used it as my only protection in sea and snow for the past 5 years and never had a problem. Including, as I described above (was writing that when you commented - post cross, sorry).
snow report
geepee, Laughing Laughing

Colin B, it's ok I believe you Little Angel
snow report
Agree with the above, I had a disaster in Val d'Isere 5 years ago after skiing one afternoon in the sun:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/2670_1132445744165_3409107_n.jpg

Skin was peeling and weeping for two weeks afterwards + I had to pay about £15 for a stick of factor 50 in resort!
ski holidays
Sunsense Factor 50 is the one I choose to use. Piz Buin Mountain Cream befire I became allergic to it. Riemann's P20 is far too alcoholic to apply to the face IMO. Gets in the mouth , eyes etc etc.
latest report
flowa, yes, he was out with his twin brother (actually they're not identical twins so don't necessarily have the same skin type), who kept telling him he was crazy not to reapply but he'd heard the British Army use it all day, outdoors, abroad, with one application or something and so was convinced he'd be fine.... It obviously does work for some but I'd exercise caution if you're fair-skinned and trying it for the first time (it has worked for me but I don't lie out in the sun for ages anyway and wouldn't use it on my face for skiing as the Avene factor 50 stuff is the only product I've found that doesn't sting my eyes).
snow report
So it's P20 factor 20 with Lip balm, am I correct. Confused Confused Confused Confused

Me very confused.com Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa wrote:

+1, although it does feel a bit like your putting sunflower oil on your skin - takes a bit of getting used to, and don't get it near anything white!!!
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Riemann's P20 is far too alcoholic to apply to the face IMO.

Saves carrying a hip flask though. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
wallyynot wrote:
Hi All.

Will be going out to Ski the Arlberg area in January which is a lot higher altitude than I have gone before. Reading other posts I'm wondering if I will need to take any sun block with me.

At higher altitudes, a thinner atmosphere filters less UV radiation. With every 1000 metres increase in altitude, UV levels increase by 10% to 12%. So you need sunscreen MORE not less.
latest report
you should chuck your sun creams after a year, apparently.

miranda, maybe your friend used an older bottle?

Some people dont put enough on either, the more you use in one application - the better

Quote:
Most people only apply 25-50 percent of the recommended amount of sunscreen.

http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/sunscreens
snow conditions
wallyynot wrote:
So it's P20 factor 20 with Lip balm, am I correct. Confused Confused Confused Confused

I say yes ! snowHead ... and to Miranda's point, you can always do a top up on the first day if you're worried. After that though, you'll be fine on once-a-day.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 17-10-12 13:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I use soltan once factor 50; it is probably overkill, but it does the job well and I've no particular interest in developing weird skiing tan lines! It also gets used for windsurfing in the rare occasions I get to do that in strong sunlight, so I'm happy that it'll resist a fair bit of abuse and keep working.
ski holidays
Yes, definitely...have some cracking pictures of a friend of ours who forgot one day, wearing a headband-type-thingy, and you could see where he'd got burnt. So, the next day, he moved it up a bit to "fill in the unburnt bit"...nutter!!

Even on not-so-sunny days, it's surprising how much of the rays get reflected back off the snow.
latest report
Definately yes, a friend forgot in jan in Bulgaria of all places, he's bald so when he took his goggles off he looked like a red panda, nasty headache to boot.
snow conditions
We always used to carry these little tubes which had sun cream (just for the exposed bits of your face) in one end and a special lip sunscreen balm in the cap. No idea where they were from or if they still exist though. Would have been around 98-2000
snow conditions
with P20 it is essential to apply it well in advance of going out in the sun too. It is also notorious for staining any white/pastel fabric it comes into contact with- bed sheets, duvet covers, expensive merino
latest report
Hells Bells, I hear what you're saying and it's good advice - advice I forgot to add (sorrywallyynot) but wish I'd had the first time.

The instructions say to wait 15 minutes before you go in the sun (and I think they should add - put clothes on, for when you're not in togs). I didn't read the instructions - just used it like regular cream-type sunscreen - and consequently now have one white top that is a pale shade of yellow on the inside ... but it was my first holiday with P20 and I haven't made that mistake again. Also, think about it - you have to wait for regular cream-type sunscreen to dry before you can put clothes on too, so what's the difference? Plus they take heaps longer to soak into your skin than P20 does.

I haven't had any problems with my base layer. It's Merino and I've had it longer than I've been using P20. I feel another brand recommendation coming on .... IceBreaker! snowHead
latest report
RibenaRockstar, they are still available, I have bought from Boots and Savers in previous years, the ones that come on a lanyard that you can affix to a zip with a small carabiner are favourite, they tuck in a pocket so they don't hit you in the face whilst skiing but guarantee you won't drop them when reapplying on a chairlift (learn't the hard way) Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy