Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dryslope ski prep tips & tricks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, got a couple of the Kings Ski events coming up soon, and am just looking for any clever tips and tricks you guys have.

I picked myself up some some decent ski prepping & tuning stuff over the summer, so current plan of attack is Gummi, File, Diamond file, Gummi (de-burr) then Ceramic my edges, and just a base clean and layer of Datawax Polar X for the bases. Plan was then to scrape the wax, and then do some structuring with a brush, however I have heard people mention no scraping and other craziness? Have a puck of Zardoz for when I need super speediness too.

Does anyone have any recommendations, tips or tricks that I don't appear to be doing atm? Also, could someone shed some light on scraping vs non scraping etc.

cheers

James
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great post...I'm interested too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When waxing the club skis we don't bother scraping as the mat will soon do that job for you the first time someone slides those skis, and we therefore end up with the wax on the mat rather than on the floor of the workshop. They're a bit sticky the first time they're used but after one run it's fine. It makes the job of waxing slightly quicker too, but if you're just doing your own rather than a hundred or so pairs the time saving probably isn't a big deal, and you'll probably be better off scraping.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jdowdall,

Get the Edges as sharp as you can & you will have to top them up between runs.

Leaving the wax on for a race will slow you and make sure your edges are clear of wax

For speed zardox is one option below is another pile of stuff I have seen used over the years,

MR Sheen Polish

Locksmith Carbon Dust

Washing up Liquid and water

KY Jelly, Silicone based and more resistant to heat will stay on longer

Black wax car polish.

Car wax
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are turning too much below the gate think of how you are sharpening the skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jdowdall, you think you can scrape and brush Polar-X when it's cold? Shocked

Good luck with that wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't ceramic the edges, you'll ruin your skiing for on snow/indoor snow. Make sure the edges are sharp though. Then just make sure you are early enough to set up for for the trickier gates in the course and use matt wax, don't scrape it, add zardoz, Mr Sheen, wire lubricant for dry slope and hope it's raining or theyve got the sprinklers on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a thought - since it's dry slope, does structuring even do anything? As far as I'm aware, structuring is usually to stop the skis creating a suction effect with the water on snow? Am I better off just scraping them as smooth and flat as possible?

@Mosha Marc - I'm not expecting to scrape and brush the Polar-X when it's cold, depending on how well it goes, I might even just crayon it on. (I've heard all the stories about how much of a bitch the hard dryslope waxes can be to work with!)

@Skiersmum - What makes you say that ceramic-ing my edges will ruin my snow/indoor snow skiing? Surely some nice clean sharp edges aren't anything but good?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy