Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flights booked to Munich 11th to 14th Jan, St Anton is off

Poster: A snowHead
We had planned to go to St Anton for the weekend but have just spotted the the womens downhill is on that weekend so the restrictions have put us off.

I have found Ischgl is a bit dead the this weekend in previus years so don't fancy that.

Kim doesn't fancy going back to Lech so that is out.

Did Zell last Jan, may be a possibility again.

Done Mayrhofen a hundred times and love it but want somewhere new.

Did Soll for a day a couple of years ago in a white out so don't remember much about it, didn't find much apri or night life but did not look that hard at the time.

Did a couple of days in Kitzbühel a few years ago and found it too big and spread out.

We are looking for a challenging resort with a very good night life, within say 3 hours drive of Munich, any suggestions....
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schladming?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HutToHut wrote:
Saalbach?

Took a day trip here last year from Zell and did the tour up and down the valley, seemed a nice place but if I was to head over this way I'd probably just stop off in Zell. What is the night life like there?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Schladming?

I'm now cursing a bit that I did not get flights to Salzberg as it would open up more options towards the east, Schladming is just a bit too far from Munich for me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saalbach is great for nightlife if that's what you're after. Skiing is great too.
Schladming is much quieter, but you will find some busier bars.

Obertauern is great for a few days. Nightlife is good. If you have a car you could visit Zauchensee for a day, brilliant place.

Or maybe Solden if above places are too far east. Solden - high and busy nightlife. Should fit the bill. (+ you can ski one day in Obergurgl if you want to).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St Anton is such a huge area, especially if you include Lech and Zurs: does the Women's Downhill really make that much difference?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball, can make getting accommodation a problem, especially if you are only doing a part week. St Anton hoteliers, etc are notorious for not wanting to release rooms in advance for short term guests. On the TO web site I think it still indicates minimum stay 7 nights.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm certainly no expert but it looks like the drive from Munich to Schladming/St Anton is about the same?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue wrote:
snowball, can make getting accommodation a problem, especially if you are only doing a part week. St Anton hoteliers, etc are notorious for not wanting to release rooms in advance for short term guests. On the TO web site I think it still indicates minimum stay 7 nights.

Good point. - I thought he was referring to the skiing restrictions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Good point. - I thought he was referring to the skiing restrictions.

That is it, either no availability or £500 a night offers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
driz wrote:
I'm certainly no expert but it looks like the drive from Munich to Schladming/St Anton is about the same?

Just checked, and your right will start to have another look over that side.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
can make getting accommodation a problem, especially if you are only doing a part week
We've visited Austria on at least 2 dozen part-week ski trips - and have never failed to find digs.

In the old days, we would just turn up and door knock - which we still do if we're not sure where we will end up. However, a lot of Austrian resorts have great websites these days where you can check availability and book accommodation - eg trips to Soelden, Stubai Valley and Ischgl last winter. Alternatively. we've used Booking.com and Hotels.com.

Soelden and Ischgl would definitely fit the bill for your trip.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JimboS, Give flangesax a buzz on here to see if they have any spare capacity then. They are in Radstadt, just 20 minutes from Reiteralm. But more importantly they are only about 10km from the main A10 link. Very flexible and extremely reasonable but they book up fast as well so it is a good idea to check now.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After a bit more surfing I'm being drawn to Solden, sounds a bit small at 150km but then we are only there for two days so should not be an issue. Next, to find some good digs.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
We've visited Austria on at least 2 dozen part-week ski trips - and have never failed to find digs.

In the old days, we would just turn up and door knock - which we still do if we're not sure where we will end up. Soelden and Ischgl would definitely fit the bill for your trip.

Also done that on countless occasions, and only once ended up sleeping in the car. Embarassed
snow conditions
Solden has plenty if you're only visiting for two days. Try and get something near the Giggihoch gondola if you want to booze after skiing.
latest report
JimboS, Solden is surely bigger than Zell. Should be more than enough for 2 days. Or if you have a car just drive up the road to Obergurgl for a day.
snow conditions
JimboS, Why not just go to St Anton?, the atmosphere will be great and the ladies downhill only goes down from Kapall to Stadionhalle, theres about 90% of the area to go at still. I'd be there if I was planning it, for sure.
snow report
Markymark29, the accommodation is the problem not the lack of skiing!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, OK, maybe but theres plenty of options to stay just down the valley especially if they have a car and depending on how many people I'm sure you'd get accom in town anyway, its nopt a major busy time of year mid January, I know the WC downhill will mean busy beds but theres plenty to go at. JimboS, How many people are you, and whats your budget re accommodation, I might be able to give you some names if you still want to go to St Anton, it'll be a brilliant atmosphere there.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
JimboS, Why not just go to St Anton?, the atmosphere will be great and the ladies downhill only goes down from Kapall to Stadionhalle, theres about 90% of the area to go at still. I'd be there if I was planning it, for sure.

It is still an option as I won't actually book accomodation until a few days before we go, since many hotels in all resorts won't accept weekend bookings unless they know they have empty rooms.

However I think that there will be a bit of a shortage due to the event and also a price hike but I will be checking.

Also the downhill run is Kim's favourite and the fact we have been ther 4 times means it's not too big a deal to go elsewhere. Just the two of us and medium cost is not a problem, stayed in the Kandahar at one end of the spectrum as well as the Schwarzer Adler at the other end.

Thanks for the offer of suggestions, let me have them and I'll dig into it.

My first time there was around 2000, I remeber it was the year before the world cup there and to my surprise there was a downhill race that weekend too, looking back it was not too busy, but that was a long time ago, I think it was that year we stayed in the Kandahar.

This was the same weekend in 2009.

latest report
I ended up booking a hotel yesterday in Gerlos, as my nerve gave way. I probably would have had more options if I had held out till mid next week but there we go, its done now!

St Anton, Solden, were pushed out till another time and we get flights a bit closer, Kim rejected the longish drive.
Soll was rejected as the only hotels that were coming up were way out the back of the village.
Tried to get somewhere in Kaltenbach but again little accomodation close to the lift was coming up so I opted for Gerlos. Some say it is a bit too Dutch and can leave those who are not, a bit out in the cold, but we will see.

Should be interesting for the weekend to explore around there and beyond up to Konigsleiten and Hochkrimml which will be new to us.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy