Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cormet de Roselend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I cycled up to the Cormet de Roselend today and took some photos which may interest snowheads

This is coming out of Albertville as you enter the Beaufort valley

The reservoir above Beaufort

approaching the col

Cormet de Roselend

les Arcs

I'm really p.issed off. I couldn't find a good way down from BsM to Moutiers so followed the national which has cycle lanes. Well gravel and glass strewn mini hard shoulders. You'd think the Savoie council could have done something for cyclists when spending 250 million upgrading the road. Got a blow out just after Aime on the badly maintained expansion joints on the bridge. The ride on the cycle land through the tunnel was hell, with 40 ton trucks brushing past you. What the hell are all these badly maintained trucks doing choking up this valley?

Then I was hemmed in by a truck and hit a pothole and have ruined my back wheel. The truck could have given me a bit of lee-way.

I know you can cycle up and down through the mountain villages to reach Moutiers but that would have added a lot of vertical.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice.

My favourite of all the Alpine cols.

Sorry to hear about the problems from BSM to Moutiers. I've never done the circuit myself & have also wondered about routes from BSM. I think you can miss out bits of the D1090 if you take some side roads and the cyclepath from BSM to Aime but ultimately I think the main road may be only way. This is the best route I can find that incorporates some of the side roads. http://connect.garmin.com/player/37489384
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davidof, Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I have always liked the Cormet de Roselend it is the start of many really beautiful walks. And I admire anyone who can cycle over it. But I am totally in awe of the cyclists who ride that tunnel towards Moutiers.
As al.p, says, the cycle way to Aime would ease the early part of the journey, but as you point out the only real way to avoid the next part of the N90 is to use one of the outlying villages, such as Montgirod and that en tales a 600m climb. I am not sure what condition it is in but the old road still runs to the south of the tunnel (I remember the tunnel being opened!). I suspect it is boulder strewn from stone falls over the years, but it may be less "exciting" than the tunnel.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, one day those on two wheels will rule the world. Hope that you sort out the rear wheel. I thought that French drivers were far more considerate than British ones? All UK drivers should be made to cycle to show them how not to be a numpty on the roads. Mind you, there are some numpty cyclists as well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought I could cycle the old road too, that was my plan but there is a high fence stopping you getting onto the road, even with a bike. I should have sucked it up and cycled through one of the high villages.

> I thought that French drivers were far more considerate than British ones?

they are in general, although it is aggressive and probably Serbian truck drivers that are the real problem.

Anyway even if you can cycle the N90 avoid at all costs, better to take the train from Aime to Moutiers. Lesson learned.

Snow all gone today.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, no way of avoiding the N90 - as has been mentioned above the cycle path from BSM to Aime is good (though watch out for leaf-strewn corners & gaggles of rollerbladers or dog walkers...). From Aime it is a bit of a haul up to Montgirod and the road across to Hautecour is rough but rideeable...

I personally avoid cycling the Aime-Moutiers section, and was reminded why a couple of weeks back on the last section of dual carriageway - there is a cyclepath marked to the right of the dual carriageway (approaching Moutiers after the tunnel) but this comes to an end without any warning (as the dual squeezes back to single) and if you continue straight you end up in a cambered concrete drain thing with slopey sides - quite exciting at 60kph I can tell you Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What is the plan if they have to close the tunnel, say for maintenance? I can just see the juggernauts negotiating Notre Dame Du Pre
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, lovely pics of the col; I was walking up Mont Bisanne yesterday afternoon, in full sun with some snow on the ground, with lovely views over the Beaufortain and the Cormet - it all looked fantastic. The cycling through the tunnel sounds horrible; you were lucky to escape with just a puncture, by the sound of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
offpisteskiing wrote:

I personally avoid cycling the Aime-Moutiers section, and was reminded why a couple of weeks back on the last section of dual carriageway - there is a cyclepath marked to the right of the dual carriageway (approaching Moutiers after the tunnel) but this comes to an end without any warning (as the dual squeezes back to single) and if you continue straight you end up in a cambered concrete drain thing with slopey sides - quite exciting at 60kph I can tell you Shocked

Were you ok? That section is the most dangerous because the single lane is not wide enough for a vehicle and a bicycle and the end of cycle lane is poorly indicated. Better to route cycles through Notre Dame du Pre (I think this is possible but can anyone confirm?). I'm going to write to the préfet about this stretch. The old road should have been converted into a cyclepath from Centron to ND du Pre.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Notre Dame is possible, but a long haul up from Aime (600m D+ as I recall) and you still end up coming out at the upper Pombliere turn off & having to ride a stretch of the dual carriageway (exactly what we had done in my post above)... Great descent from ND though Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
four of us are cycling from Cherbourg to Italy in May 2013. Routing gives us nights near Albertville, Aime, La Thuile as we climb thru BSM. The comments above were really helpful. Anyone any tips on accommodation for one night in each location, for four guys (little baggage!!!!). Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy