Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam, looking gorgeous isn't it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guess what it's doing again Madeye-Smiley

Fantastic Friday - well at least in the morning Smile

Pow, pow, pow in the trees above Serre Ratier, then it did start to get very heavy - but I was demoing some new skis care of the White (Ride) Doctor, and they were superb!

Twin Tip 186's 104 waist and fun, fun, fun or what?

Could have bought them for 250€ as is, but I opted for some new bindings (non rental), grand total of 320€ and Kevin in the shop said they've probably only been used a couple of times!

Really nice to have skis that are so local to Serre http://white-doctor.com/en/

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little report update as it were

Have not been up on the hill for a while now, we went over to Val Thorens from here, only 90mins via Frejus tunnel to Orelle then up and over in the gondola from there.

Pistes first thing in the Orelle sector were immaculate deserted corduroy as it takes a while for people to get over there from VT - soon became very busy and I was missing Serrre !

We've been up to our usual "stuff" bit of this, bit of that, including taking Pooch touring Smile

Not too much in the way of touring yet as conditions not that good for freeze / melt, though yesterday would have been superb but had my bother staying so could not really disappear for the morning though we did a little cross country in the afternoon from Villar D'Arene above La Grave as I was going stir crazy.

Friday went over to LG after having a chat with Kite Legende up at the Col, and I had arranged a kite an hour lesson for today, but no wind, I have my own snow kites and I do kite on the sea back home so should not be too bad at picking it up wink

In LG they were running the Derby so was a good atmosphere there. Friend of mine had been "training" for it, and prior to his start the weather closed in and they delayed the start, he was up top of the glacier for two and 1/4 hrs, with no one explaining what was going on, in the end they gave up and started back down, and guess what happened?

Weather cleared and they started racing again, and he and quite a few others missed it - needless to say when I caught up with him he'd been drowning his sorrows Sad

So here in Serre it is now officially a Ghost Town, the barometer to that statement is that there are no cars outside some of the main Pierre Vacances apartment blocks, and Club Med has closed for the winter season, and looking out at the main Casse de Boeuf very very few people skiing down. Should imagine Monetier will be even quieter!

Forecast is for snow at altitude this week and rain in the resort, heavy at times mid week, though there has hardly been any days where the forecast has been right in the past couple of weeks.

Yesterday's sunshine was great, and it did seem to put a smile on many. A friend I know who works in the Cafe at the Col du Lautaret told me on Friday that spring has not sprung, and they are all waiting for that - similar to UK from the sounds of things.

This was yesterday, bit different to the photos above rolling eyes

More on the blog here http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/2013serrecheblog.html#latestnews
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think could well be first lifts tomorrow Smile

This was today's exploits rolling eyes

http://youtube.com/v/QiHrgoO00kY
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What a morning, after the first run I said to the Mrs "think this is the best morning ever" !

Though did think that to possible be a little over the top statement.

Then we hooked up with Tim and Mel from Mojos, and what did Tim say (having spent nigh on eight seasons here).......

"Think this is the best morning ever"

I now have to edit down the vids, but basically loads of accessible off piste, place deserted, and when you did get back on piste they too were empty and in superb condition, some had been pisted, others had a couple of cm of fresh, a delight to ski.

Snow started to get a little heavy, so we retired for lunch, and have had lunch on the terrace in shorts & T Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam, spring skiing is not all it's cracked-up to be (he said jealously, as he tries to finish end of year charging).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, I love April in Serre Che, now where's my diary for 2014.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Though how to depress yourself, look at the forecast for tomorrow Crying or Very sad

Have done the vid, now just have to upload it, that will be a couple of hours, so off down to Mojo's Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All the Young Dudes - Spring Skiing Serre Chevalier, one of the best mornings ever! from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/63748239

Happy days
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went over to Puy St V yesterday and met up with a family friend who is an ESF snowboard instructor, who gave a friend a "gratis" hour over lunchtime as a lesson, is her first time in the mountains. Weather was dire, rain all the way up to the top, but didn't stop both her and her boyfriend (who can snowboard as well as jump piers with a kite!) enjoying themselves.

PSV was a ghost "resort" hardly anyone there over lunch, with anyone who was there (few Brits & Belgians) in ski school so not out on the "hill", then after lunch must have been all of twenty or so people!

Then awoke this morning to see snow on trees from around 2,100m so grabbed first lifts, in fact seemed every lift we arrived at was just starting up, was pleasantly surprised at the amount of "fresh", I suppose you could term it as "powder" but rapidly went to soup as you can see from my rooster tail, also very heavy underneath, well that's my excuse for sitting in the back seat rolling eyes

Other half was skiing it really well at times Puzzled

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh well as we near the last day of the lifts, it's been a pretty miserable last couple of days with rain all the way up to the top, and cloud line from around 1500m.

I was hoping for one last day on Sunday, but temps need to drop considerably from me typing this now to the morning for conditions to improve.

These past six weeks have been up and down, ski touring weather has not quite played ball, on the whole has not been cold enough, and that has also affected the x-country!

I did get to go snow kiting once, but again conditions were not that suitable.

We did have one amazing "blue sky powder" morning, though not uber deep just very good, with many a seasoned seasonaire commenting that it was the best morning ever.

I have scored a couple of good Spring Snow ski touring days and have actually been out on the bike most days!

Have a sort of plan for this Monday, but looking at the forecast I'm not so sure, my mate's wife works in the Bureau des Guides in La Grave and we left it that I would call her to ski on Monday over there as on the Glacier will be fresh , and she finishes at 10:30 , but I think viz will be an issue, so not too sure.

And weather not so good for cycling, did get wet cycling today around Lac Serre Ponchon http://app.strava.com/activities/50972473 so dog booked in at the vet for Tuesday, pack up here Thursday am and go to my bros Thursday and then Eurotunnel circa 16:00 to be in the pub for Friday night!

Game plan is to be back here beginning of July and I might even have a job for eight or so days driving a van full of American cyclists around for the TDF!

And then all things allowing, family, parents etc etc hope to be out here for all the next season Little Angel

Ciao

Low cloud over the Lac

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And what did I type in what I thought might be my last post of the season yesterday.........

"I was hoping for one last day on Sunday, but temps need to drop considerably from me typing this now to the morning for conditions to improve."

Well I awoke to the cloud hovering around 1500m and looked like rain, so thought I might actually have to get the paint out as legs were too tired for yet another bike ride!

And then, ironic or what*, I thought let's have a look at the webcams (something I never do here) to see what it is like up top!

And............

Ding Dong Cool

Oh yes, I'm having some of that I thought!

And twas almost eerie going up the Vallons sector as I could see no one!

And the playground was looking superb!

To be honest, only had an hour or so before weather closed in and snow was very "heavy" off piste, but kept at it trying to get my heavy snow technique better without too much sitting in the back seat!

After Vallons I then went into other sectors and they were deserted as well, was actually thinking to myself would not like to have an accident as no one was around at all, and viz was going.

So skied all the open sectors, and all the "lifties" were in good spirits to say the least as it's their last day!

Back home for some lunch, and I just might look at the Webcams to see if an afternoon session is worth it!

*As I run a major weather site for Wind and KiteSurfers with a webcam !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy