Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Powder day what more ore can I say.125cm overnight. Snorkel required (via SMS)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hells Bells wrote:
Powder day what more can I say. 125cm overnight.

Wow! Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Risoulhad about 60cm. 5/5 avo risk. About 5 lifts and 10 runs open.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Piste pics lacking in contrast sue to visibility, so here's one on the way to the lifts this morning.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chasseur, only the very bottom chairlift open in Monetier and the nursery drags were open for most of the day. Lower runs were quite chopped up by lunchtime.
Bachas lift opened very briefly at 3.30-4pm. I was back at the apartment by then, but J was in waist deep snow on piste. Bumped into Weathercam and friends at lunchtime. Now snowing on and off.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
But the waist deep snow on piste was a bit heavy and built up in front of you and stopped you. A strange experience to be pointing straight down the hill, unable to move, this wall of snow up to your navel and unable to lift your skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ccl, hear you managed to lose a pole too Sad .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin booked the wrong bloody week...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sharkymark, more GNAR when we get up the lifts again tomorrow. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ccl wrote:
But the waist deep snow on piste was a bit heavy and built up in front of you and stopped you. A strange experience to be pointing straight down the hill, unable to move, this wall of snow up to your navel and unable to lift your skis.

It might have buried me completely. Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've heard that it's all about dried fish and very expensive beer now...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sharkymark, oh dear. Pedantica's Vodka Party and Val Thorens ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bonkers amount of snow, though tad difficult to make the most of it, that said had some great lines under the chair and in the woods.

Did do a fair number of first tracks which meant the only way was to straight line to avoid getting stuck, with snow billowing up into the face, a little perturbed in that I did have some great GoPro footage but the SD card died just as I was starting to edit Crying or Very sad

This morning was hard work digging the van out - more on the blog including Pooch's (dog's blog) take on human things Smile

http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/2013serrecheblog.html

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And it is snowing again. Some pics of the snow on the Col du Lauteret from Le Dauphine. http://ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2013/03/19/les-premieres-images-du-col-du-lautaret-rouvert-a-la-circulation
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fantastic day yesterday at Chantemerle. What a beautiful area! Snow was in superb condition on piste, despite needing a bit of packing down. Off piste and on unpisted blacks, well, it was quite incredible. We will be back. Darren Turner is an excellent ski instructor as well.
latest report
Hells Bells, even better than that...ski touring in the Lofoten Islands over Easter snowHead
snow conditions
cstreat, we had a great day over there yesterday too. Failed to remember to take your number with me or we could have met for a beer after your lesson Embarassed .

Flouncymark, sounds rubbish what's wrong with ski lifts wink . There's still almost a metre of unpisted snow on some of the quieter pistes this morning.
latest report
Hells Bells, the only reasons there's more powder now than for a long time in Serre Che are (a) I'm not there and (b) I've decided to go somewhere completely different
ski holidays
Flouncymark, nah, it is because me and J are here. Like I said before, last year was a freak, and the only time we haven't arrived to freshies.
snow report
My sis and family are there just now, sounds great.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, stop it. I'm about to self destruct...flouncily
snow report
It doesn't come better than today. Big blue and wonderful snow.
latest report
ccl, it was indeed a wonderful day to be alive and on the mountain. Sorry Flouncymark.
snow conditions
Good banter...
latest report
There was a surprising amount of untracked off-piste visible from the lifts, and it didn't look like too many had hiked up Cucumelle. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Been doing apartment stuff for the past couple of days - yesterday looked quite cloudy and maybe white out, so we decided to head to Turin and Ikea where we spent ages getting beds, chairs, sofa bed and heaps more stuff, when it all came together did not think I'd manage to get it in the van!

And had the cheapest of lunches, two pizzas and two cokes in Ikea for four Euro!

Then once back home we spent nigh of five hours putting various items of furniture together before heading off down to Mojo's for a well earned drink and dinner in the Petite Pont with Pippa and James, then back to Mojos' afterwards.

Then today we had the washing machine and fridge being delivered, and the guy turned up at 08:45 so we managed to get the washing machine up through the snow and ice as it was still frozen, take the old dishwasher out etc. I gave him a tip and then he took some tolls out of his van and then proceeded to come back up to the apartment and plumb the washing machine in!

The rest of the day was spent putting together all the furniture and more hooks on walls (can't have enough hooks), and we're just about there!

After we'd finished putting everything together and then getting all the cardboard boxes back into the van it was off to the dump, and surely the most scenic dump in the world! See blog for pictures http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/2013serrecheblog.html

Also in my logic was that the recent snowfall still needs to stabilise before really venturing off piste etc, and this has been confirmed twice to be today by very experienced people.

There use to be a great little Ski Randonee (touring) shop in Briancon, but today noticed it was closed down, then whilst going to the bricolage I found his new shop which was great as I needed a new clip for my poles, and we had a quite a chat about various options.

Then later I touched base with the son of the guy I bought our apartment from about a few days next week, so he's coming round Sunday to chat about options for Monday and Thursday, he was given some accolade last year of guide of the year or something, he's a major climber doing stuff in Himalayas, finding new routes and the like.

So more or less finished the apartment, so might well go skiing tomorrow, though looking forward to next week Madeye-Smiley

And there's Pooch's blog as well http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/2013serrecheblog.html
ski holidays
Yesterday (Friday) powder was quite heavy "off" piste and some of our "party" could not hack it, not helped when they said they would go back down on the black piste up near L'Eychauda, and then went off that and came back down (not concentrating on the aspect) some very sun affected heavy sludge!

So the rest of the day was spent piste cruising over to Briancon in almost clear skies, plus I wanted to look at some of the slopes, as get the right freeze / thaw and there's going to be some very nice spring snow to be had over there!

Some forecasts for today had light rain at resort level, and as I'm typing this snow is falling quite heavily as we hover around 0 degrees, be interesting to see what happens if it should keep up like this on transfer day, I have friends driving down with an ETA of 20:00.

I might go out and do some x-country.
snow conditions
Snowing hard up in Monetier.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
15km cross country, hard work in the sticky melting snow, not helped probably by my lack of technique as only my second time!

Great feeling when it does all come together and you're gliding along!

This is the Strava GPS HR log http://app.strava.com/activities/45514916#782304315 on a par with a hard bike ride!
snow conditions
Spent the morning trying to get across to Cucumelle to meet maggi and [b]Thumbstruck]/b] in poor visibility, and gave up at the top of the Eychauda chairlift and skied back down to Flocon restaurant for a much needed Chocolat Chartreuse. Then a few runs before lunch at Chez Dam's, the only solution on a rotten day. By the time we got down, it was damp amd miserable, so we went to Briancon to check out new dishwashers.
Rain/sleet is starting to turn to snow again as darkness falls, but there is still a foggy gloom hanging over the mountain.
We've had a great week's skiing so far, and week 2 is to come.
ski holidays
sticky and damp this morning but still snowing (via SMS)
ski holidays
Hello All
Back in Dublin after a week of great "variety". Initially hard off piste due to low temperatures at night, but great on piste for the same reason, we then had the massive dumps which disrupted everything for days. By Friday the big snow was beginning to consolidate but still very little evidence of people venturing out. Avalanche risk seemed to stay at 4 all week. We spent the last day on the pistes in Mongenevre where there were still lots of closures and lots of avalanche cones... of course those might have been deliberately set off. Friday was so warm that the south facing pistes began to get very sticky by noon. After starting off in very low temps we ended up with in positive double digits.

Coming back yesterday we ran into the snow that was not really forecast and as near as Chantemerle the roads were bad. Unsure whether the Lauteret would in fact be open and not wanting to donate a set of snowchains to Hertz we turned and drove round by Gap. Just over 3 hours to Grenoble so not really that bad considering the Lauteret would have been a crawl. Anyone know how the traffic was up there yesterday? Presumably they kept it open?

End of another skiing season Sad
ski holidays
Kevin Byrne, We set off at 9.15 from Chantemerle and got over the Lautaret ok, without chains and at a good pace. However the usual traffic jam at Vizille was far, far worse than normal and it took about 4 hours to get to Grenoble airport!
snow conditions
snow was white : sky was Gray : prudence didn't want to play today. So we tracked some phat lines and danced with the white reaper. More weatha tommora (via SMS)
ski holidays
Had friends driving down here yesterday, made it in very good time, 9.5hrs and that was with delays at Satolas peage and Grenoble!

Roads were indeed looking bad in the morning but they very quickly cleared.

Decided on more x-country today with the Mrs and the dog, whilst friends went up the hill. Will be interesting to hear their report, general consensus was that snow was a little heavy even up top, and then progressively heavier lower down, and viz pretty bad.

So not too sure about what we do tomorrow with the guide, La Grave would be an option, but not too sure about viz etc, might suggest that we stay here and if it's not too good only do half a day. But forecast is looking not too good for the rest of the week for ski touring, so could well be dank snow or go high, so road trip to Alpe D'Huez, Deux Alpes possibly ?

Good deal on the X-country gear, skis & boots for the Mrs, ex rental gear for 110€ as she's now hooked and enjoyed it far more than her previous outing, and today was so much better than yesterday, think that had to do with the fact that they did not bother preparing the piste and it was a fair bit warmer yesterday.

snow report
We've had a couple of days of doing apartment jobs with not a lot of skiiing going on, as we had to wait in for the dishwasher repair man, order a new one when it was too expensive to fix, then wait in for the delivery. Banging my shoulder on Monday afternoon didn't help, but at least having to be at home has given it a rest. We had a great day on Monday otherwise, Cucumelle snow was a bit sticky, however all of the rest of the pistes were in great condition. SKied across, down to Casse de Beouf chair, then eventually back across to Monetier, where we skied for anothe hour or so with a neighbour. Jules anaged a couple of hours on Tuesday and yesterday was spent sorting out the dishwasher. We've got up this morning and it's snowing again, so piste will be freshening up nicely for the Easter weekend. Just today an tomorrow left before we head for home.
ski holidays
Guess what it's doing yet again Smile

We did have a guide booked for today but we decided to postpone.

Another mate arrived last night, and it was he who had the place in the Pyrenees where it snowed and snowed, and he was just saying that he's spent a fair amount of time this year looking at snow falling, as now it is puking down and we're not sure what to do?

Earlier on this morning been looking at fat skis over 110 wide after Monday's antics, and have booked some Black Crows for tomorrow and if it keeps up like this today and tonight (as forecast) could be another silly powder day up in Monetier Smile

Pistes are in great condition, Tues did a fair amount over to Briancon with our friends, and hooked up with with Tim & Mel (Mojos) for a while. Then yesterday was working a fair bit, but cycled up the Col du Lautaret and was damn cold on the descent
latest report
. Still snowing ! Forecast was for light snow. (via SMS)
ski holidays
Puking it odwn in our garden still. Nice light and fluffy stuff on piste, looks like it might be an awesome last day tomorrow Very Happy
snow conditions
Yes tomorrow could be interesting - forecast I use (http://www.netweather.tv) had the right levels of precipitation for today and with a further 10.4cm from 18:00 to 21:00 but had its as rain most of the day at resort level rolling eyes

Took my mates parents x-country this afternoon and that was hard work as the piste was not there and I had to make the tracks, they did enjoy it, went up to Monetier and back.

But back on the skis tomorrow and I've got some big ones Toofy Grin

Latest pic

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy