Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Langlauf

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Fancy trying langlauf this season. Not sure whats the best approach. Complete package bought here of do it myself job, ie hiring equipment in resort.
And if anyone knows of a really good resort great. Fancy Austria
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seefeld in Austria has some of the best tracks that I know of. Its probably rated more for its langlauf than its downhill. Lots of hire shops all over resort. The main TO's do lessons and taster sessions which from what I can remember are very well priced
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was a lot going on in Maria Alm Austria, hiring was possible and probably the best way to test the water. Quiet, pretty town with a short transfer from Salzburg. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Seefeld is about the best in Austria, Livigno is also very good in Italy. Banff if you fancy Canada.

I haven't been but Mrs M does ski up hills so I am always on the lookout, and Crystal say Zell am See/Kaprun is also good. Have a look here:
http://www.crystalski.co.uk/cross-country-ski/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bogart, anywhere around the Altenmarkt-Radstadt area will also provide you with interesting introductory routes that go on for miles and miles.The Tauern and Ennstal trails meet up here with numerous side routes to other places and increasing difficulty. There is also a well-organised infrastructure for the hire of the equipment and also instruction. The Ennstal region is at about 750 to 800m above sea level and does not have a problem with lack of snow.
www.bergfex.com/salzburg/langlaufen/radstadt-altenmarkt/loipenplan/ This shows the details of the trails prepared and maintained by the Altenmarkt-Radstadt area.

Another good area is St Johann in Tirol (where I go for Langlauf quite a lot). Again excellent infrastructure and variety of routes. There is a huge race in January/February I think called the Koasalauf which is Austria's largest open access race.
http://www.bergfex.com/tirol/langlaufen/stjohann-tirol/

As most of these are actual valley locations they do not have too much competition for accommodation (St Johann is way bigger than people actually think and the further you are away from the main slopes the cheaper the accommodation is. I stay in a farmhouse guesthouse in Oberndorf for example. cheap as chips!

These are all easily reached from Salzburg or Innsbruck airports.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Headwater and Inntravel do organised trips but if you fancy DIY look at Alpe di Siusi's plateau at Seiser Alm in the Dolomites. Technically it's Italy but in all other respects Austrian: German spoken, oompah bands playing on the snow, langlauf tracks criss cross with horse drawn sleighs, plus stunning 360 degree views. Sometimes langlauf tracks can be a bit iffy for snow, and if they're down in the valley, following a river for example, can feel a bit hemmed in, but at over 2000 meters this is, I believe, the highest a plateau in the Alps. Stay in Seis and get the lift up, or if you want to be bang in the middle of it there's the Hotel Panorama. ...and if you get a hankering for some downhill, you're in the Sella Ronda! Last year the local Tourist Office organised stay and learn packages. See http://www.alpedisiusi.net/en/alpe-di-siusi.html
Good luck!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did a half day in the Jura above genva in Spring snow last March - unbelievably addictive ; seriously want to go again this year, especially as i'm tons fitter than last year

Downhill down any gradient is seriously scary and dangerous ... yikes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ramsau (Dachstein) is fantastic - massive platauex (sp!) with loads of Langaluf Loipen (you do need a ;pass' to strap to your arm which is €5 per day I think). But you can also very easily bus down to Schladming for a bit of Alpine or pop up to the Rittersberg in Ramsau... or the Dachstein glacier (which is pretty small).
Great place to base yourself though for a decent mix of things.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ramsau (Dachstein) is fantastic - massive platauex (sp!) with loads of Langaluf Loipen (you do need a ;pass' to strap to your arm which is €5 per day I think). But you can also very easily bus down to Schladming for a bit of Alpine or pop up to the Rittersberg in Ramsau... or the Dachstein glacier (which is pretty small).
Great place to base yourself though for a decent mix of things.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some more suggestions:
Engadine valley: Very pretty, lovely hotels. Not cheap, mind you and other things to do if you fancy a break or a multi-activity holiday
Finland (Yllas). Lots of trails and more more remote and isolated than anything in western / central Europe which unfortuinately suggers from it's proximity to large population centres. We had many of the trails to ourselves for hours. And then there's the northern lights which are spectacular. Can be cold in midwinter
Mazama (Washington state): Makes Yllas seem crowded. Really is the wilderness here but loads of excellent trails and stunning scenery. Very different to Europe
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many thanks guys lots to absorb there. Will be in Bavaria beforehand so a package is out so I want somewhere that I can do my own booking. Had a quick look in the austrian resorts near Innsbruck and they look a good prospect. Will investigate all the options suggested once again thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy