Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2012/2013 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Basil, hope you are feeling better

9am this morning and got first tracks down corbalanche, snow boot deep, bit heavier than previous days but still superb. Then another go at corbalanche, and then into l'airon bowl, which was very wonderful. Couloirs were thigh deep in places, did that for a bit and then the fog arrived.

so spent rest of day doing trees around gron in the fog and then light snow. Not that may people really. Gron lift broke its turnstyles this afternoon

Bumps on felire were excellent and soft, even if the pills stopped working after a while..........Evil or Very Mad

Also the gondola has a new loading system as someone fell off the platform, so they have put barriers up. Means lots of cabins don't go up full, they need a singles line. Will be fun next week in french school hols

stopped at 3.45pm as my legs had vanished..... Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basil - pleased you are feeling a little better hope you will be fit for skiing tomorrow.
carroz - good that the pills worked and you had a good day.

The gondola doesn't bode well for next week and 750 kids sound a nightmare, good day to stay away !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, , Kay, Thanks for your kind wishes, think I should be OK for tomorrow.

The coaches weren't in Morillon yesterday so hopefully just a day trip from somewhere.

Still snowing here in Samoens.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kay, gondola loading has changed again, and seems to be a singles / fill the cabins line

Weird day weather wise...lots of thick fog. so off to flaine at 9am, but only got as far as veret, and did the black and off piste to sides of the drag for alot of the morning. Rather nice fluffy powder, even if i am going a bit slower........... Twisted Evil

Off back to les carroz, corbalanche was fluffy and excellent, and the sun appeared for a bit, quite a bit of new snow in the trees around gron, and very empty, skied down to the lift and no one there. Felire had rather fun moguls and trees have really very deep powder.

Conditions are amazing......even with the fog and cold.

Then late this afternoon thick fog arrived, that was interesting...............
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Double gutted!. Managed to get out yesterday with just a bit of a sore throat. Had a number of goes on Bergin which was covered with big soft bumps, when I got tired we all went down Marvel. Not bothered with it before, not sure why, but had some great fun. I think we did it three or four times, a great run through the trees and not busy at all so could go for it a bit.

Red run down to telecabine was ok but a bit thin at a number of places so will need some more snow and cold temps to keep it skiable.

Double gutted?, got the lurgey back today today and just do not have the energy to go out, sitting on the sofa watching daytime TV and seeing the GME trundle up and down does not help. Hopefully I'll be able to clip in tomorrow for the final day.

For a 1/2 term holiday I reckon it has been the quietest I have seen for years, many times I have been the only one on a run and very few lift queues, hope its not too bad for anybody arriving this weekend.

Back again the last week of March fully fit I hope.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Basil, hope lurgey goes away

Went to flaine for a bit, still some untracked off piste, but not very much. pistes in superb condition, seemed rather cold.

Large queue for DMC and huge one for vernant on the way back to les carroz, other than that still quiet, but not as quiet as yesterday

Found some untracked stuff in the trees about lunchtime, but lower down its going a bit crispy

More snow tonight...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry to hear the dreaded lurgy reappeared. Carroz and Basil -Thanks for the updates- Lucky you Basil being able to return again in March. Off to pack now - arriving Saturday with the rest of the hoards.

By the way what does DMC stand for? snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kay, Its the main gondola out of flaine, its a reference to its technology, twin cables so it can be used when its windy.

There will only be one region on holiday, so it should not be too bad (ish!!)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just back from Flaine. Never seen so much snow. All
great apart from the visibility. Lucifer un-pisted was the most enjoyable.
1ft of snow next to the runway in Geneva!! Difficult driving in the resort.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just booked a trip in March really looking forward to it as not skied for over 18 months and previous 3 trips were to the US,can't wait to ski again in France. Just looking for some advice on what are the must dos while here? Also is anyone willing to share any hidden gems?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant day, if visibility was a bit duff in the morning

Until then was amazing tree skiing, powder was superb

Then at about 12.30 it cleared and had some superb powder skiing, over top of knees

One of the best afternoons ever!!

the last tree run down will live in memory for a long time!!

Transfer day tomorrow will be interesting................
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kay, DMC = "Dual Mono Cable" meaning (as carroz says) there are two cables (EACH is continuous hence the term "mono" cable). Provides much better stability for the cars than you get with a single cable as used with a chair.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DMC. Is it the same system as DLM - Double Loop Monocable ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back home now but did manage to get out for a few hours Fri morning and loved it as it had snowed again overnight.

All the best to those going out this week, travelling north out of Reims early this morning it looked like Paris was emptying south.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Peter S, I'm not sure. DLM sounds like a single cable arranged in two loops maybe. I think the DMC has two separate cables working together i.e. one running inside the other but from the same drive so the two cables (essentially) run at the same speed.
snow report
saturday 16th feb

Another brilliant day, sun and powder, could not be better, especially as daughter was on her new rocker skis and loved them

snow same as yesterday really, just was a bit more tracked, but we still found some untracked, and it was rather quiet.......village was nuts when we left..... people and cars everywhere

back in 4 weeks

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Off to Flaine UCPA on Saturday...hope it won't be too crazy as my OH is a tad nervous & doesn't like getting cut up or trying to navigate through bumps.

I see the Parisians will still be on their mid-term so I guess the resort will be mobbed!
snow conditions
treviesweets,

im off to Flaine in a month with UCPA!

let me know how it is!

My OH didint want to be mobbed either both on the slopes and at the bar haha

any tips or photo's would be ace!

enjoy!
snow report
carroz,

im off to Flaine 15th March for a week of fun!

See you their !
snow conditions
 cran
cran
The busy transfer weekends are over now and I got to ski on a Sunday Cool

We went to Gers and there were only about 12 people using it Shocked

Not amazing soft fluffy 2m deep bouncy powder, but it was still pretty good given the lack of recent snow Toofy Grin

No idea why no one was there, but who cares, it was also good in other parts of Flaine today, and no queues for the drag lifts, and it is now snowing, so if it continues to snow tonight it will be good skiing tomorrow too...
snow conditions
Quote:

I see the Parisians will still be on their mid-term so I guess the resort will be mobbed!

the Parisians aren't on holiday till the first two weeks of March. Other regions of France in the meantime.

Because the snow is good at lower levels (which is by no means always the case) Flaine itself shouldn't be too bad - people will be able to spread out.
latest report
OK - my review of last week.

AMAZING!

Great conditions, quieter than usual for Half Term (I think this week might be busier). Snow and pistes in fantastic condition. My only complaint was that Saturday (which is always lovely and quiet) was just too cold to keep going. Minus 22 at Corbalanche lift - it took two hours before I could feel my little toe when we stopped for the day.

This season has been brilliant.
ski holidays
Couldn't agree more, a fantastic week, only one French zone off really does make a huge difference (it was the same last year) Very Happy
ski holidays
Been in area all season, after a rainy start at lower altitudes at end Dec/early Jan, it has been a cold, snowy and sometimes sunny season with great conditions and consistently greater snow depths than last few years. Also, to date, each week has seemed quieter than recent seasons, is it the recession or are skiers spread out to lower lying resorts which all must have had good snow over the last 7 weeks? Either way the quieter slopes have been most welcome!
snow report
Kay, How was your trip?.
snow report
Fantastic holiday - there at half term week - not as busy as I had anticipated, longest queues were when ski schools moving off at 10 and 3 otherwise only longish queue was at Lanche where they were letting too many people go in ones and twos. Snow was fantastic even better over at Flaine. Loved all the runs around Morillon. It was possible to ski down to Morillon village but the red was quite icy in places and by the end of the week (seen from the gondola) it was horrible and brown towards the bottom. Skied all the areas. - Loved skiing to La Carroz such pretty runs. We thought that it was good to have such a big selection of long runs everywhere and of a good variety. Pistes we thought were well graded except we thought Mephisto was more bluish than red. My husband liked some of the more demanding reds in Flaine and the unprepared Lucifer run. The Sortilege steepest red he had seen. The run I did not like was the Perce Neige which got chopped up pretty quickly and always seemed hellishly busy in the afternoon as it is the quick way back to Morillon from Flaine and you need the top of it to access Samoens. Loved Tourmaline but it was sooo much busier than when you were there. Would like to ski this area again when I retire in a year or so and don't have to go in Feb half term. Although the ESF said that they thought it would be busier the week after ( this last week) as Paris was off.
The weather was fantastic Sunday to Wednesday blue skies and not a cloud all day - very lucky. On Thursday the clouds came down and visibility was very poor couldn't see the lift from the balcony and it was only 60 meters away. Decided not to ski that day as get swimmy head and feel sick in that sort of light - I don't know which way is up or down. Went to Samoens and looked around there nice little town but would not have liked to have been that distance from the gondola up. Spoilt being so near the piste at Morillion 1100 but having said that it was not the ski in/out it claimed to be. Snowed about half and inch that night. Friday was also cloudy but not as bad and sun seemed to be breaking through so set off to Flaine snow started coming down when going up Lanche lift but looked good over in Flaine. Got up the top in Flaine cold -16 but still could see great views - skied down Mephisto but cloud and snow came down during run and didn't go away. Went back up to the top but really thick cloud so decided not to do Cascades as no view and made our way back to Morillon in horrible conditions visibility terrible could barely see my husband infront of me (Perce Neige was not busy though) and managed to ski back without feeling sick - found a group of people sitting on the snow -Lost- Looking for Morillon- Better by the time we got to the tree lined Marvel. Saturday when we woke up was clear and managed to ski the Sairon at 9 before leaving at 10 - first ones on it fantastic way to leave the Grande Massif - friends who left later than us said the cloud came over again and it was really cold. We left hoping that it would snow again for the peeps coming the following week. Great holiday great place will return someday. Not next year as Paris is off the same time as us for half term so will probably look at Austria,Italy or southern alps again. Thanks for all you info on the place. snowHead snowHead
snow report
You thought Perce Neige was bad... you should see how it is when conditions aren't so good Happy It is hell! They have tried to alleviate the problem by putting in a red run from top of Chirande Express, but the main issue is that all the lifts come in at the same place - and at the end of the day it's busy. This, coupled with the relative steepness (for a blue) means it is terrible at the end of the day... but this half term was actually brilliant compared to normal Happy

You also mentioned the "Lanche" lift... once you know the area better, this can be avoided by taking one of the other 2 lifts back to the top of Samoens... both as slow, but the queues are less.

Glad you enjoyed the GM - it is a lovely and varied area.
latest report
Just back from a week in Morillon 1100. Fresh snow on the Sunday then stayed relatively cold the whole week so no sign of spring snow on the piste. Run down to Morillon village only a little bit brown at the bottom last Friday. As usual, wishing they would upgrade Sairon and Gron but Bergin is a nice quiet corner. Only risked Lanche one time at around 10am and it was OK.

Samoens became a no go zone for us though as Gouilles was not running and the operator I asked said it was not a temporary situation. Shame because that lift never had a queue and saved having to ski the flat, high traffic pistes into Samoens 1600.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kay, Mephisto is red, I think, because of the drop which would be challenging for a (mostly) blue run skier. Agree though it's not that red. OTOH, Sortilege is most definitely red even on a good day imv. Tourmaline can be hell when it softens and gets chopped up and fills up with people on the edge of control - you have to watch your back. Glad you enjoyed the GM though,it's a great area snowHead
snow conditions
Mephisto used to be a red but they regraded it blue at the beginning of last season. When it was red it was better coz you didn't get so many people on it but it really is much more blue than red!
ski holidays
Mephisto Superieure is red, then become the blue Mephisto lower down (from top of Aup de Veran lift). I love the Superieure bit - fantastic run, but not an overly difficult red. The whole run is very nice - hmm, when can I get back there?!
ski holidays
Oh yes you're quite right I'd forgotten all about mephisto superieure!
snow report
what is the new Parements run like? (from Tete des Saix to meet up with the bottom of Dahu) i'm off on Monday - it's been too long!
ski holidays
Arrived Thursday evening. Friday it was raining at the bottom of Flaine with wet snow falling higher up. Pistes in good condition but off piste very chopped up. Went over to Morillon for lunch, soft at resort level but still very skiable. Back to Flaine at about 3pm, up the DMC and it had been snowing up the top making for much better skiing. At 5pm it was raining at 1500m but falling as snow at 1650m. The altitude and temperature was clearly going to be a critical factor for the following day. It carried on snowing at 1650m until well after dark.

On Saturday we hired a guide and we went up the DMC. There was between 10 and 15cm of fresh snow up the top, enough to have smoothed over all the tracked off piste. Light, fluffy snow, a joy to ski on. Went off to the left of Mephisto Superieure where we made fresh tracks. Then up Lindars Nord and off the back, again making fresh tracks. Had to go back up again it was so good. Then into the Gers bowl. All day there were very few people around, no queues and although the snow was getting a bit heavy at the bottom towards the end of the day. Suspect there will be more pelple around today.
latest report
mr_big_ad, Its rather good, you have to do the first part of agile noir to get to it, but they now groom that bit (wish they would stop all this over grooming) which has spoilt agile noir, but does mean the new run is quiet as warning signs at the top that you need to do a bit of a black to get to it. The Views are rather good.

Chris Mason, The quiet bit sounds good and nice new snow in Gers. it may be a bit busier as paris is still on hols?
snow conditions
Sunday was another great day. Sun shone all morning, clouded over as the day went on with very light snow flurries late afternoon. Most of the off piste was still soft with very little icy crud underneath. Right off the top of the Egg provided fresh track opportunities. Dropped into the Gers bowl down the left hand side, still scope for fresh tracks after Friday night's snowfall. Had lunch at the restaurant by Lac du Gers, not realising that they will not take you back to the Gers bowl if Cascades is open. Had to ski down to Sixt and get the bus. Made more frustrating by the fact that the GM Express was closed and had to wait for another bus to the 4 man bubble up to Samoens village. Temperatures low enough to keep the pistes in good condition throughout the afternoon. Busier than Sunday (to be expected) but queues still very manageable. Back home now but out again in 12 days time.
ski holidays
Any eye witnesses in the GM in the moment? Lots of snow reported in the PdS and Chamonix valleys so I suspect the GM will have had a fair dumping today...
snow report
If you can hang on til Sat I'll let you know, we are driving out Friday.
snow conditions
If you can hang on til Sat I'll let you know, we are driving out Friday.
ski holidays
Yup. Loads and loads and loads and loads of snow, could not be any snow-y-er if it tried. On piste is off piste, snoguls everywhere. Loooverly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy