Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grozny of the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
This morning I decided to cycle up to the Sanatorium above Grenoble. This grade 1 listed building is a fine example of 1930s alpine hospital architecture. It has been closed for a couple of years.

I was greated with a scene of such incredible desolation I could have been in Grozny during the civil war

Room with a view

Ram raid

Sad.

In the winter you can ski down past and even thru these buildings from the ski resort of St Hilaire du Touvet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a sad, sad sight!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not in great upkeep for a listed building. Disappointing.

Part of that is what you get if you turn a blind eye to graffiti. It's not, generally, art.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is just the kind of place you expect to come across a crazed gunman with a skorpion machine pistol
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Got a future as a film set?

I realise grenbobble has its share of social problems but in an an elevated position & given the full works would make for very upmarket appartments surely?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are some similar spooky disused buildings in the mountains in the Sierra Nevadas above Granada.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 14-10-12 16:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for sharing the pics davidof, Quite spooky I should imagine. A shame Grenoble has such an awful problem with graffiti.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it just my imagination or do the French in general seem to be less inclined to look after their buildings, particularly those in the countryside ? Having travelled through most of Europe (save Scandinavia) I've always felt that many French villages seem more run down than say their equivalents in Germany, Switzerland Austria and so on, In Spain there were lots of half finished building sites but the older buildings from what I saw seemed to be kept reasonably well and the same with Italy although I know from Italian friends that the North of Italy is supposed to be better than the south but in France it always feels as if many people just don't seem to care
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Entrance in 2009

and today

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blimey. Great pictures. Reminds me a little of the ruins of Detroit (http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit/index.html) - a subject, musically, close to my heart.

Why did it close? I can't believe there is no value to a building like that, with views like those - is there a master plan to let it go to rack and ruin, demolish and use the land?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The before and after photos are astonishing, and over a relatively short period of time.

More importantly, how was the ride?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ride was hard. See Rule #10 Happy.

Are you still out in les Allues?

To answer some other questions. The hospital was closed due to cut backs. There is an issue with avalanches

but there has not been a significant slide since 1981. There is much better avalanche protection at the site now as there is a village below.

My neighbour worked at the center and the last days were chaotic. The site was pretty much abandoned with little effort to make it secure, it was like an evacuation in front of an advancing army (of vandals?). There were jars with babies or foetuses in the building that were left and have now gone as well as a lot of dangerous products. I'm told the staircase, which is part of the listing, was stolen shortly after the center closes and is probably in someone's house now.

I think with one of the most expensive civil services in Europe more could have been done to manage the closure and either secure the site or find someone to convert it into housing. I know some architects who were interested. As it is, it should be knocked down. Apart from the main building there are lots of houses in the surrounding woods - we ski down between these from the summit of the St Hilaire pistes (off piste). They have largely been vandalized too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

many French villages seem more run down than say their equivalents in Germany, Switzerland Austria and so on,

the French are masters of shabby chic. I don't know much of Italy but there are some pretty dilapidated looking buildings in Genova, the only place where I've spent any time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know that one of the problems with taking over old buildings in Spain (particularly houses or business premisis) is that debts incured on the property remain with that property, not with the previous owner - for up to 15 years IIRC. So some of these propertys become so toxic with debts that they become unsellable.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Ride was hard. See Rule #10 Happy.

??? I think this was supposed to read:

" Ride was easy. See Rule #5 " Smile

Quote:
Are you still out in les Allues?

In Montagny, on the opposite side of the valley to Les Allues.

I assume that once the decision has been made that the area is potentially exposed to avalanche the authorities have no other choice than to refuse building permission. An area between one of the chalets we operate and Meribel is in a similar situation and even though an avalanche in the lower parts of the zone are extremely rare it is impossible to get permission to build there, understandably.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy