Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telegraph Travel Awards: Wengen "best resort", Inghams "best operator"

Poster: A snowHead
This thread has been updated with further details of the Telegraph Travel Awards. Scroll down to 12 October postings.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Readers of the Daily and Sunday Telegraph have voted for Wengen as their favourite ski resort.

Here's a report:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2005/10/08/etwengen08.xml

Here's the background and explanation of the survey and award(s) concerned:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?xml=/travel/2005/10/08/etawards08.xml

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 12-10-05 12:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder if snowHeads 'Mr Wengen' had anything to do with that wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We don't know his favourite newspaper ... but I've certainly seen members of the DHO Club riding the cog railway from Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg (the morning commute) with noses buried in The Telegraph!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't find it in the online stuff but in the printed paper Inghams won the Best Skiing T.O. award. Their reps came in for special praise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing to do with me, though it is sad to see that the writer of such a nice article, in such a prestigious newspaper cannot add up, DHO founded in 1925 as stated cannot be 90 years old (as also stated) Laughing Oh and I agree wit their comments about ski school timing, it's stupid
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Readers of the Daily and Sunday Telegraph have voted for Wengen as their favourite ski resort

crumbs !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Brookes, Why so surprised? Yourself and DGO have been extolling it's virtues for 28 pages now. Perhaps the author is a Snowhead lurker Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno, because i would have thought Murren would have been the favourite Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes, Laughing rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A bit more delving into the Telegraph Awards reveals some further details of their rankings:

Ski Resorts - best
1. Wengen
2. Banff
3. Zermatt
4. Val d'Isere
5. Morzine

Ski Resorts - most disappointing
1. La Plagne
2. Whistler
3. Meribel
4. Chamonix, St Anton (=)

Here's the information panel from the Telegraph site [zoom button bottom right]: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/graphics/2005/10/08/awardsbig2.jpg

Ski Companies
1. Inghams
2. Mark Warner
3. Neilson
4. First Choice
5. Crystal

Any further comments?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not suprised with the 'Ski Companies' result.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Ski Resorts - most disappointing
1. La Plagne
2. Whistler
3. Meribel
4. Chamonix, St Anton (=)

I'd love to know what they mean by 'Most Disapponting'?

- We expected these to be in 'The Best' list and they weren't - the readers voted otherwise?
    - These are resorts that are very popular with those that follow the crowds, but don't deserve it?
    - You have all heard of these ones, but could do better?

Certainly doesn't do these resorts any favours presented like this - they are certainly after all not likely to make a 'Worst' list?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
agavin, I would guess that it means expectations of the resort higher than the reality.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, I would have thought that they could easily have given them a title 'Best of the rest' which would at least have been positive.

A list like this will influence some people to go elsewhere - when in reality some of these resorts are probably still better than the others people may choose to go to (assuming they don't do 'The Best' list). At the end of the day, the resorts have gotten negative press as a result of the UK tourist / tourism industry over-hyping them and not due to them running extensive promotions which over-hyped expectations.

(Disclaimer: My favourite and least favourite resorts are not mentioned on either list and nor do I have any vested interest in those 'Most Dissapointing' resorts wink )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
interesting how these things drop out of surveys.

Now I'm not going to argue that Morzine deserves to be somewhere "up there" but I'm not sure why Chamonix would be so disappointing.

Which makes me think that maybe one effect underlying this is expectations. Upside surprises mean that you give high votes, downside the opposite. Chamonix gets hyped for a lot of reasons. When it's good it's wicked. When it's bad, it's pretty grim. For your average holiday maker it is likely to be a disappointment.

It's also rather un-informative. Wengen "the best" for what exactly? My apologies to those who love it but it just doesn't do it for me - once you get over the awesome scenery. I don't (personally) rate the skiing and I find all those slow trains just a little boring. That may be down to unfamiliarity, etc.
snow report
David Murdoch, In many ways I agree, I think it's a case of people unexpectedly enjoying a resort or being dissappointed by a resort after all the hype they've read, Wengen certainly is not going to make best for nightlife, though it should be up near the top for scenery, the skiing is pretty good for intermediates (and when there's good snow the off piste in the area can be very good) but is sadly lacking when it comes to black runs for advanced skiers, the trains are I think either a love it or hate it thing, I like them because I can have lovely long runs without huge lift queues at the bottom but they are slow when compared to gondolas etc.

A far more informtive list would split resorts up into different catagories e.g.

Most scenic resort
Best resort for - Begginers/Intermediates/Advanced/Off piste skiers
Best resort for apres ski and nightlife
Best resort for families

and so on

Thus Wengen might fare well in the Scenic. Intermediate and Family catagories but would fail to get into the top 20 for nightlife.

Perhaps we should produce our own guide to resorts on snowHeads ?
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Perhaps we should produce our own guide to resorts on snowHeads ?

Shocked Shocked Heaven forbid! Can you imagine the length of that thread! Very Happy
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, I was thinking that some sort of table would be good.

Oh and to my earlier list add ease of access or time from nearby airports (something like that), also some information on typical costs at mountain restaurants
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Cathy Coins, I was thinking that some sort of table would be good.

Oh and to my earlier list add ease of access or time from nearby airports (something like that), also some information on typical costs at mountain restaurants

and the cost of living index based on the price of a demi beer in each resort.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Beer, Coffee,chips and bowl of todays soup would be 4 typical prices and available in most resorts worldwide
ski holidays
D G Orf, Now we need volunteers to go out to the resorts and establish the facts on the ground!
snow report
a detailed survey would be a good start which all snowHead (if they wished) could fill in etc..
snow conditions
I've used Inghams a few times and not had any gripes with service
They are not the cheapest but you tend to get what you pay for !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy