Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Planning ski trip for 2 in Europe - Help and suggestions needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, my cousin and I have just started planning a ski trip for the end of this year (around Dec. 20th). This is the first time we've planned such a trip (although we've skied a couple of times before) and we find that the number of resorts and websites is quite overwhelming. So I thought it would be better to come onto snowheads to get some advice from you regular skiers!

1. Are there are particular resorts that are perhaps well-known to offer the best value in terms of skiing? My cousin and I are both intermediate skiiers and looking for blue and black slopes. We're planning a trip of around 7 days so we would prefer not to have to ski on the same few slopes every single day. Very Happy
2. Is it better to book transport, accommodation, day passes/equipment separately or to book a packaged deal via a site like thomsonski or neilson? Are there any other sites where we can find good packaged deals?

Thanks,
Jon
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Package - just about anywhere, iglu, ifyouski & Tour operator sites. If you want lairy apres Austria probably beats France.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, forgot to mention something. I just found the following deal on neilson. Thoughts on Les Deux Alpes? It's all-inclusive of transportation, accommodation, rental and lift pass. Is it a good deal money-wise? Anything I should beware of in general when booking a ski trip?

Cheers!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
atticus92, Book it. Looks a fair deal.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
atticus92, welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

atticus92 wrote:

1. Are there are particular resorts that are perhaps well-known to offer the best value in terms of skiing? My cousin and I are both intermediate skiiers and looking for blue and black slopes. ...

I was just a bit surprised that you've mentioned blue(easier) and black(diificult) slopes but no mention of red (intermediate) slopes?

As regards Les Deux Alpes although I personally have only skied in summer on the glacier there, it did look to be a good resort and seemed to have a fair selection of bars. If you do go there and you and your cousin wish to improve your skiing skills then there is an excellent English ski instructor Charlotte Swift ( www.easiski.com ) based there - a couple of hours private lesson with her would I'm sure pay dividends. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
atticus92, welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

atticus92 wrote:

1. Are there are particular resorts that are perhaps well-known to offer the best value in terms of skiing? My cousin and I are both intermediate skiiers and looking for blue and black slopes. ...

I was just a bit surprised that you've mentioned blue(easier) and black(diificult) slopes but no mention of red (intermediate) slopes?

As regards Les Deux Alpes although I personally have only skied in summer on the glacier there, it did look to be a good resort and seemed to have a fair selection of bars. If you do go there and you and your cousin wish to improve your skiing skills then there is an excellent English ski instructor Charlotte Swift ( www.easiski.com ) based there - a couple of hours private lesson with her would I'm sure pay dividends. Madeye-Smiley

I'm still not really used to the idea of red slopes yet haha, the last few times I skied were in Canada and I think their blue is the equivalent of an intermediate slope. This is actually gonna be the first time I've skiied in Europe. Razz

Thanks, I'll check out the instructor you recommended if we decide to go there!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A rough equivalence between European and Canadian grades is:

Europe Canada
Green = Green
Blue = Blue
Red = Single diamond Black
Black = Double diamond Black

But it varies from resort to resort and there is no actual standard

The deal to Les 2 Alpes looks fairly good, but it is very early in the season and not all runs may be open. Even if the snow is good the resort may be a little tardy actually putting up piste markers etc. In my limited experience all the tour operators appear to be much of a muchness. You pay more for more luxury, but still ski on the same slopes. The week you have selected is a week very popular with university ski clubs and you may find yourself sharing the resort with x thousand students from the University of Swindon. It could be raucous.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know this hotel in L2A, it is run and operated by Neilson, by that I mean all the staff are English employed by Neilson, reps, chefs everything. Good location the only thing I would warn you about is there tends to be a lot of kids because Neilson run a popular kids club including a lot of Nannys who look after the kids. Not a problem unless you down want lots of kids. Good hotel though, good food and good location and that price looks good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Deal looks ok to me, and it will make life nuch easier to have everything set up for you. By 15th dec most resorts are open, but no guarantee. You should be ok with this resort in that week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium wrote:
Deal looks ok to me, and it will make life nuch easier to have everything set up for you. By 15th dec most resorts are open, but no guarantee. You should be ok with this resort in that week.

The resort will be open, question is how many slopes will they bother to roll out in that week?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IME the resort will be fully open that week, provided the snow is OK. Certainly should be plenty of scope for a week. Because there is a glacier, there should be decent skiing even if the snow at lower altitude is poor (which is always a risk that early in the season) and Les Deux Alpes is quite a bit cheaper than many, for eating and drinking. I'd expect the resort to be fairly quiet that pre-Christmas week, but that's not a bad thing; who wants to stand in lift queues?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy