Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro hire

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of a place that hires GoPro's for holidays? I dont fancy forking out on something that i may only use once a year... Google turned up a few but they seem fairly steep for a weeks hire!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tomb, ansta1 here used to and probably still does. No idea what the company is though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Having never looked, it's not totally mad in comparison with the cost of other camera gear hiring.

You'd get a good four years of hiring whatever is the latest model to make up the cost of the camera and kit in an initial purchase.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
edgeandwax do I believe
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/backcountry-ski-rental.aspx
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
yep still do, snowHead get a discount and a contribution to admins beer fund, ahem i mean to the snowheads support account..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1, pm sent
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy one and sell it as soon as you get back. I did this last year and only lost about £20. Much cheaper than what people are charging to hire.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hutchy wrote:
Buy one and sell it as soon as you get back. I did this last year and only lost about £20. Much cheaper than what people are charging to hire.

absolutely an option and one i would suggest people consider as an alternative. The small risks are, you get stuffed on ebay, you buy a hd2 and while you are away the hd3 comes out (unlikely in my view in the next 6-12 months) and the price drops and you lose money.

also you have to factor in the options, and not defending the hire model here more than i can by making a statement.

hd hero 2, between £250 and £340 depending on the model. second battery £20, memory card £20. Selection of monting options, well price varies. Postage for buying, and then selling. Add on battery back, lcd back , wifi back/remote options then this total package will rise to circa £500 or more.

hiring isnt always the cheapest or the best option, but that doesnt make it the worst.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What he said. With camera gear generally you can make a profit doing precisely that, or at least you would do assuming you didn't remember to declare the stuff at customs on your return, of course.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
if you are going to do this, buy from a reputable uk reseller, why...

gopro's are very fickle with firmware updates and do not come out of the box with the latest firmware so will not work with wifi back and the apps without an update. There are lots of issues with the update process causing the cameras or accessories to fail which means sending them back.

if you buy grey import you are going to have issues getting this resolved, if you boyndirect from gopor, current turnaround is 4 to 6 weeks i am led to believe, plus delivery each way.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GoPros are 100% identical wherever in the world you buy them. They are rock solid and reliable. All firmware updates are posted publicly by GoPro - there are no retailer distributed updates.

Delivery from B&H New York to the UK is 3 days based on my last shipment, including customs etc. They were quicker than my local professional dealer could obtain the same stuff.... I wish that wasn't so, but it's the truth. Welcome to the global market.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
philwig, I didnt suggest that updates are provided by local retailers, not sure why you thought i did. But while you have my attention lets get a couple of things straight.

Not all gopros are equal.

why? Well there are an increasing number of copies, just check out ebay. Secondly and probably more importantly for most of us. A small number of less reputable dealers who are not licensed to resell gopro products are buying and reselling, to stop these being tracked back to them they are removing the serial number stickers from the camera. Not a problem till you need to make a warranty claim and the seller tells you to claim from gopro who will tell you to get stuffed.

Now lets talk again about the firmware. All firmware updates are provided and distributed by gopro and installed through cineform (though this can be done manually by downloading the firmware from gopro direct and doing an install via the sd card). There are a number of very well documented issues with the update process and also with the firmware (v198) itself, these can cause minor irritation to complete bricking of the camera, of the 15 or so i have updated i am fortunate that only 1 has had an issue which is now back with gopro for resultion.

I have had no issue with any of the uk resellers i have dealt with, in in particular dogcamsport or actioncameras, the only delay being in the sending of the wifi backbacks i ordered, and this was down to gopro and not the uk seller.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ansta1, any chance you could get back to me regarding the hire price please? Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tomb, i sent you a pm with a couple of questions, if you could reply to that i can give you a quote.

regards
snow report
ansta1, yup my GoPro bricked updating the firmware but on the other hand it was super easy to RMA and I got a replacement very promptly.
latest report
meh wrote:
ansta1, yup my GoPro bricked updating the firmware but on the other hand it was super easy to RMA and I got a replacement very promptly.

flashing v198 by any chance?
snow report
ansta1, nope the release before that v198 went on fine on the replacement.
latest report
Nice, got a wifi back but not an IOS device? want an app to stream to Android??
snow conditions
ansta1, am all Apple at home. Very Happy

Seen this BTW?
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/251576-GoPro-3-announced
snow report
yep seen that already but not believed to be an official statement as of right now.
snow report
but potentially announced as early as the 23rd of the month, though I am not holding my breath given their recent run of delays - Still 23rd is 12 months almost to the day from the HD2 release date so who knows what will happen.

Now who's going to buy a HD2 and resell on the off chance it isn't released and they can resell at almost no loss of cash? - Only joking.
snow conditions
tomb wrote:
Does anyone know of a place that hires GoPro's for holidays? I dont fancy forking out on something that i may only use once a year... Google turned up a few but they seem fairly steep for a weeks hire!

Had you thought about buying a Gaoki HD 8 mega pixel waterproof Sports Camera? Check out Ebay, I got one with a free 8Gb micro SD, for not a lot of money.

[/url]
snow report
Thread has been vanished! Shocked
ski holidays
looks like the 3 may be announced a little sooner than anticipated, @gopro sending out some very interesting if cryptic tweets. I dont expect it to be releasedmto market right away but the specs it seems will be out there very shortly. I doubt those saying 4k will be correct though, just too data hungry for most people.

but only time will tell.
latest report
ansta1, perhaps that's why it's only at 15fps from those other specs with 2.7k being 30fps. But yer interesting.
snow report
meh, yep, they have difficult call, go for pov sports action, their by far biggest sector as of right now, which means less dots but higer frame rate, or go for more dots at the expense of frame rate and data and target the tv/video/file sector.

tough call, only time will tell
snow report
anyone want to make me an offer on a hd2 with wifi backpac lcd back and remote?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well its out... and it does do 4k video at 12fps
ski holidays
I don't get the point of offering that resolution at such a low framerate TBH other than bragging rights at having the first tiny 4K camera (it's 15fps in NTSC mode BTW). 2.7k at 24p with Protune is pretty awesome but again if you're sticking stuff on the web not really necessary. New form factor is nice though as is the choice to effectively offer the older cameras in it. The demo video is awesome too:

http://youtube.com/v/A3PDXmYoF5U
ski holidays
snow report
Yep, full spec of the 3 Hero 3 models here :-

http://www.gopro.com/product-comparison-hero3-cameras

Some interesting stuff there, bigger card support (up to 64gb), the ability to capture photo and video at the same time, continuous recording (something I've been asking them for ages) Auto and Manual WB settings (with 3 predefined options Auto, 3000K, 5500K, 6500K, Cam Raw).

The black also has better low light capability which should be interesting, I also like the new form factor and the new 'frame' housing, but clearly not for skiing or dirty work!.

As soon as they are formally released a few of the blacks will be on order methinks...
snow report
I'm not convinced it's a must buy. I'll wait for some side by side comparison shots to hit the interwebs before jettisoning the HD2.
ski holidays
As an asside the new Contour Roam2 and the Contour +2 have come out recently too... Similar feature set to the gopro too. My +2 is now sitting in Oxfordshire waiting to come to me. Will post some examples when i get it...
ski holidays
GoPro Hero3 Black Edition Low Light & Audio Side by Side Comparison Test/Review - stephendiaz.com from Stephen Diaz
http://vimeo.com/51975316

Vastly improved sensor and audio in the black edition.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
As an asside the new Contour Roam2 and the Contour +2 have come out recently too... Similar feature set to the gopro too. My +2 is now sitting in Oxfordshire waiting to come to me. Will post some examples when i get it...

Richard_Sideways, had any chance to play yet? be interested in your thoughts.
ski holidays
Hero in Costco including 3 different mounts for £180. Seems like a great deal.
ski holidays
and for those with gopros, wifi backs and ios devices, there is a new release of ios app and a new release of cineform (the gopro supplied import, edit, render and general gopro device update software). Possibly a new update to the firmware for the camera and wifi back may not be long behind i guess!

also for those who want to use the hd2 and wifi back with an android device the non official app is on the google.play store for free, it is called remotego we are still working on the functionality and options so its updating about twice a week at the moment. but it works on most devices.
ski holidays
How much battery does the wifi back tend to zap? I found my hd2 had pretty abysmal battery life when I had it out last year.. about 1-2 hours.
snow conditions
The wifi back has its own battery and my personal experience is that there is not a lot of overall difference in lift with the wifi back in use.

I have some extensive battery life info if you want it, but remember the temperature plays a part so if its really cold then the internal heater (yes it does have one) turns up the wick and therefore uses more battery, the way around this is in cold weather use is to put the housing in a silicon coat.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy