Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
I had a 12 hour shift today so no skiing, but it seems Stubai will be good tomorrow (from Facebook):

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm pretty sure something went wrong in that second pic but I'm buggered if I can work out how. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, I've been trying to work that out too!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sunday was another good day on the Glacier. No pictures as the light was flat much of the time. Another 20/30cms of snow on top of Saturday's, though it got warmer (thus denser) quite quickly. Still scored some really nice fresh tracks on very shredable snow in places, other more heavily skied slopes became pretty unpleasant tbh, deep, heavy, wet chop. Skied some nice new lines which was fun, though I was with a snowboarding mate so wasn't able to hike for other options. Seemed like every 'freerider' in the are was up, lots of big skis about, some impressive skiing on show, and the more obvious stuff was quickly tracked. Some big, big wet slides in the valley towards the bottom station.

Really stoked with my new CD7's from http://www.downskis.com/. I would normally have been on my Bibby Pros, but they handled both some nice/deep and some fairly challenging conditions really well.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Up on Stubai skiing today. Fine and sunny lower down, so pistes got quite soft, higher up snow was better, but it was cloudy and quite windy. We had a good day, and when we got back down to Neustift we went for a run in warm sunshine, followed by sauna, then beer Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobinS, sounds good! How long will you be about for? Got a couple of days off next week.

I spent the day languishing in bed with a hangover from hell (must be getting old Sad, they never used to be this bad). However salvation is on the way in the form of greasy chicken and potato salad!

How long will you be about for? Got a couple of days off next week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999, Yeah you old codger, ha......lazing about with a hangover when us mere mortals twice your age are dreaming of snow you are amongst it and saying you are getting old!! wink) Enjoy the tail-end of the season mate.....enjoyed the few days we all skied together this season, your lucky to live out there, I'm stoked on my MTB now and dreaming of next seasons pow!............ Enjoy wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good snow conditions all day today on the glacier, but it's over now. Off piste? Jeez, plenty of snow but all garbage. Some serious looking sloughs, no one sensible in any of it.

I drove from there to Ischgl, where they were still riding down to the village at 17:00. Should be good for the next couple of days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig, Great photo
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ischgl today....

Today was pretty gray, but nearly all the lifts are open and all the alpine is rideable. I rode down to the village "both ways" and both were entirely ridable although the snow down there was sticky as you'd expect, easier for me on a board than skiers. Off piste - obviously there's snow but you would not want to ride it, trust me. The runs themselves have excellent snow cover, but conditions are entirely variable as you'd expect. Visibility was just good enough to see what you were into. Grabby snow which takes deep carves but which will stop you if you push it too hard.

Hard to find a coffee without tobacco smoke, and I don't know who trains the baristas but they're rubbish. Ok, the Weissbier is good, but I can't drink that all the time.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999, Myself and JanetS are staying in Neustift just for this week. We are mainly brushing up on piste techniques (both Canadian level 1, Janet is Snowsports England level 1, hoping to do level2, and I am training for Snowsports England level 1), so have been practising everything from basic snowplough to core form and fast carved turns.
Was pretty windy today so much of the Glacier was closed, but we found enough good pistes below the murk to have a good day. Quite mild as well so losing snow lower down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobinS, cool. Will be up tomorrow I think, will pm you my phone number if you fancy meeting up?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glacier completely closed today due to strong winds. Mild again, 10c at base station. Went for a run instead, 30k, and it is a bit hilly round here.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You're at the wrong glacier! Kitzsteinhorn was fine. Some wind, quite chilly at times, but no problems except a few brief T-bar stops. And pretty quiet too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Started off fine with some sun at Stubai today, but lunchtime wind got up and Eisjochbahn was closed. Snow pretty soft everywhere, and came on to rain later.
snow conditions
Windy, gloomy and overcast at the glacier on Wednesday, couple of lifts closed (I'm assuming due to wind), but really nice spring snow everywhere. The Foehn over the last few days has stripped much of the snow from the peaks around Innsbruck, apart from higher or wind-protected slopes. The Inn is getting bigger, and starting to develop that grey, glacial-silt hue... Not long 'til the rivers'll be in condition!
snow conditions
Yesterday we skied fresh snow off piste high up on our piste carvers, then since in Neustift we had torrential rain in the evening we were hoping for more fresh high up so took our fatter skies out. It was fine and sunny, with no wind, and the pistes were corrugated ice with no sign of fresh snow anywhere! The off piste was mainly refrozen lumps.
It was warm yet again so everything softened up, with lots of snow being lost lower down. Several pistes have closed during the course of this week.
snow conditions
Been bucketing down with rain for a while now (lots of snow above roughly 1000-12000m), the Inn is flowing big and brown here in Innsbruck, while areas a little over to the East are experiencing a '1-in-30-years' flood event - all roads from East Austria to the West closed (luckily I came back a day early from Slovenia!), lots of evacuations (at least 80 buildings in Kitzbuehel evacuated due to landslide danger). Some pictures from a friend stuck in Salzburg:

Water level up a good 4-5 metres on the Saalzach...

Thankfully things seem to be a little calmer here in the West, though there was a large wet slide avalanche up behind my flat the other day, running across the trails my gf uses for running...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=458574620900030

iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=458574620900030" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

(^Don't know why that won't embed?)

Meanwhile the Stubai Glacier is still looking good:

snow report
clarky999, Shocked Sad
ski holidays
Seems like we've been lucky in Innsbruck, while the Inn is still very high, it's also still in it's banks. Driving down the road from my flat is a little sketchy though, the water is still flowing down the mountain, cutting straight over the road in places, but passable.

Some of the pictures from further East are pretty shocking - this is the road between Lofer and Waidring:

snow conditions
Of affected ski resorts what I have seen on television is water rushing through a hotel in Zell am See and the village of Kössen severely flooded (though well away from the ski area). This
video clip shows the dramatic situation in the Klobenstein gorge between Kössen and Schleching in Bavaria - usually the bridge is about 5 metres over the river Großache! Presumably this build up of water explains why there was so much flooding in Kössen. Lofer village and its environs were also seriously affected (not far from the damaged road in clarky999's photo).

Fieberbrunn seems to have avoided any serious damage, although there were several landslides round about. That must be the advantage of being further uphill and nearer the rivers' sources.

Although the water levels are going down now in western Austria, the Danube is still pouring eastwards, bringing trouble to areas there. This link contains numerous dramatic photos. The flooding in Germany and the Czech Republic has been just as catastrophic.
ski holidays
Not 100% sure where this is, but the flood defences are clearly at their absolute limits! A lot would go wrong if they failed...

snow report
Shocked
ski holidays
kinell - that is rather impressive
snow report
The view is of Grein in Oberösterreich (Upper Austria), I think. For comparison, here's a photo of the same corner that I took in June 2004, when I cycled along the Danube from Passau to Vienna...

The peak of the floods should be passing there just about now, so hopefully the flood walls will be sufficient to keep the water out. In the old town centre there is an impressive baroque theatre.

And for interest here is another picture of flood markers in Passau, the highest one from 1954. Reportedly the current floods are even higher in places...

ski holidays
Cheers espri.

I'd hoped to do a short ski tour near Kuhtai after my German course today, but annoyingly summer seems to have come back in force - very hot and very sunny! The Tiroler Lawinnendienst released a one-off summer avalanche report, which made me reconsider the idea... http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/en/

Hopefully Stubai will stay nice until the weekend though.
snow report
clarky999, Suggest you post that vid link of the Lawinen, awesome mate!
ski holidays
Yes, the ORF is also warning of high avalanche risk (in German).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Thankfully things seem to be a little calmer here in the West, though there was a large wet slide avalanche up behind my flat the other day, running across the trails my gf uses for running...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=458574620900030

iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=458574620900030" width="1280" height="720" frameborder="0"></iframe>

(^Don't know why that won't embed?)

Work to clear away the above mentioned wet slide (gives it some scale!):

ski holidays
More snow up at the Stubaier Glacier:

Just back from a week in the UK, apparently it was around 38º here last week, glad it's cooled down a bit!!
latest report
Yep, I see loads forecast. Coming out on the 13th of next month for a couple of weeks. Hoping to get some skiing up on the Hintertux.
latest report
Stubai was unexpectedly epic today, a fair bit of fresh snow over the work was just transforming from pow to corn as we arrived at the top. Expecting slush, we were delighted to round a corner and be presented with a vast, totally untracked (the only other people up there were the racers and one dude touring) expanse of this loveliness. 3 hours of hectic shredding ensued before the sun starting to get too warm, with the lifties being very helpful when asked where the worst of the (for the most part still hidden) crevasses were. You can ski almost to the middle station of the Eisgrat (20m short of it, maybe), and the Dresdner Hutte is still open for a tasty lunch (or if you brought a bbq, there are plenty of sheep roaming around).

Lots of lifts are closed, but if you take skins (we didn't, had a snowboarder) there is still a metric poo-poo-tonne of good snow to enjoy:

Plenty of lift-accessed fun too though:

(from the central saddle)

(background shows the tracks from our first run)

Lunch?

View back up from the Dresdner Hutte:

No action photos as we were in too much of a hurry to harvest the corn before it warmed up to stop and faff with the camera.

Stoked to top-up my goggle tan with such good quality snow on 30th June!! Who needs summer anyway?
latest report
The glacier may be closed now, but we're still getting the benefits of the snow! Had a fantastic kayak down the Ruetzbach (the river that drains the Stubai) today, in 35+ºC even glacial melt feels warm!
latest report
New snow on the Stubai glacier...

snow report
20cms of snow at Soelden yesterday:

Already you can feel summer slipping away here, the ferocious 35-40º heat of last month has receeded and the nights are drawing in... Winter proper is still a while away yet, but the glaciers should be opening within the next month or so (and Hintertux didn't close)!
latest report
New snow! Won't last long but nice to look at:

Stubai (from Stubai's Facebook):

Grossglcokner (from wePowder):

Hintertux (from Visit Tirol's FB):

Ischgl (from Ischgl's Facebook):

Nordkette (from Visit Tirol's FB):

snow report
Snowing in Kuhtai!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=695982673763945

Edit: Not sure how to to embed video from Facebook?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-09-13 9:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Apparently moving gondola-cable is pretty tricky - here's some on its way to Ischgl:

More here: http://www.ischgl.com/de/active/skigebiet/baublog-fakten/baublog/anlieferung-tragseil-1-von-4_blog112173
snow conditions
clarky999,
Quote:

Apparently moving gondola-cable is pretty tricky

Wow! Respect for those truck drivers!
latest report
Fair amount of new snow today, I was stuck in work but looking up at Nordkette, the wind-sheltered spots above Seegrube (1900m) had no rocks showing. Probably 10-15cms?? Won't last there, but good news for the glaciers!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy