Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's winter... time for free stuff!

Poster: A snowHead
thanks, just D/Loaded. should be a good read on the beach in a few weeks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice one, Alex!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gainz wrote:
AlexT, thanks for that. Downloaded it last night. I am a writer myself and plan to go the kindle root. Any tips or ideas? I haven't found an agent unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!)

First of all, congratulations on finishing your novel! That last step is a lot harder than anyone ever expects it to be (and it never seems to get easier...), so kudos first and foremost.
I'll PM you some thoughts/advice on what do do next..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jon Ford wrote:
thanks, just D/Loaded. should be a good read on the beach in a few weeks

Beach? Jealous!! Say hello to the sun for the rest of us, I've forgotten what it looks like (and all going well this winter, we won't see too much of it Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PS War & Piste has been in the Kindle Chart top 10 all weekend. Good work, SnowHeads! Your downloading is making me famous Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Put it on my phone thanks. So far reads very accurately if a thinly disguised St Anton. Lacks the melodrama of Avalanche by Jack Drummond & the rape etc of Cham - maybe that's to come wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fatbob wrote:
Put it on my phone thanks. So far reads very accurately if a thinly disguised St Anton. Lacks the melodrama of Avalanche by Jack Drummond & the rape etc of Cham - maybe that's to come wink

Don't worry, there's plenty of melodrama to come... ('will they/won't they [insert frowned-upon activity]' etc... you know, high stakes stuff)

But no rape. There was almost a crevasse-fall incident, inspired by my own soujourn inside a well-known glacier's topographical features, but I thought better of including it. Seemed a bit random and unnecessary. So rape was pretty much never really on the cards.

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually thinking of St Anton when I wrote it. It was inspired by a different resort, in a different country in fact (have even got a grumpy email from a German language expert telling me my use of place names is linguistically inconsistent - wow).
But I think that the fact that I was working in St Anton during the time I was editing the first draft influenced most of the recognisable details...by now, even I think Reschengel is kind of St Anton. Maybe when the book goes all Harry Potter on us, there'll be a guided tour... Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the generosity mate snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grrr - why have I only just opened this thread Sad I assume it will no longer be available free this eve. Nice offer of yours AlexT. Well I will just have to buy it then Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
cathy, still free this am. Just downloaded it. Thanks AlexT!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swissie wrote:
AlexT, Just read the reviews and have put it on my Amazon wish list (I order all items at once, keeps the postage down) Can't wait to read it first before giving it to my daughter. Good luck.

what postage charges for a free downloadable book??? Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy wrote:
Grrr - why have I only just opened this thread Sad I assume it will no longer be available free this eve. Nice offer of yours AlexT. Well I will just have to buy it then Very Happy

I'm happy to report that it should be free until 11.59PM PST today. We thought we'd be nice to the people who went offline all weekend Smile
Well, that was the plan anyway, but Amazon can be a bit screwy (this is an understatement)
Hope you enjoy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, just downloaded and looking forwrd to it!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AARRGGHHH...missed it. oh well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Me too! Crying or Very sad This should have been in the Après.
snow conditions
Leakyideas, maggi, sorry you missed out! And also sorry if I posted in the wrong place! Noted for the future..
snow conditions
AlexT, No it's the right place - not your fault if people on a skiing forum don't frequent the skiing section then moan about not knowing about a free book based largely around skiing. wink
latest report
I missed it too and agree it should have been in Apres as we are not all looking at this section before the snow comes !
snow report
AlexT, great read, downloaded on Saturday and finished last night. I'm heading out to St. Anton for my 1st season at the end of November so was a great pre-season read. Thank you very much!
snow report
fatbob, no, reading is après. You ski, you drink, you come back and shower/bath then read a bit before dinner. Then you drink again.

I've never read anything except a piste map on the piste.

AlexT, not your fault! Very generous offer anyway.
snow report
AlexT, cheers! Great book... couldn't put it down! So whens the film out? Very Happy Sequel?
ski holidays
mbydmt, Brilliant, see you out there! Where are you working?

maggi, noted! I'll see if I can persuade the powers that be to run another freebie soon and if so, I'll be sure to post there.

CharlotteJane, Thanks! Chuffed that you enjoyed it so much.
The film is in very, very preliminary talks... but we'll see if we go ahead with that. I'm not fully convinced it is a good idea. Has there ever been a good ski film? I mean well written, well shot and with (most importantly) proper ski and board sequences? I'm not at all sure that it can be done.
As for the sequel, I'll be working on that this winter... in between massive powder days. My first season back after quite a long break. Cannot. Wait.
ski holidays
PS if anyone would like to leave a review on Amazon, I'd be mighty grateful Very Happy

And join the Facebook page (www.facebook.com/warandpiste). I can't tell you yet what awesomely cool gear company we are going to run a comp with in November, but they are very, very cool indeed! So watch this (that) space!

By the way, Snowheads, in part because of your download skills, War & Piste hit the top of the Kindle charts for two days over the weekend. No mean feat, that - thanks a mill!
snow report
AlexT wrote:
mbydmt, Brilliant, see you out there! Where are you working?

maggi, noted! I'll see if I can persuade the powers that be to run another freebie soon and if so, I'll be sure to post there.

CharlotteJane, Thanks! Chuffed that you enjoyed it so much.
The film is in very, very preliminary talks... but we'll see if we go ahead with that. I'm not fully convinced it is a good idea. Has there ever been a good ski film? I mean well written, well shot and with (most importantly) proper ski and board sequences? I'm not at all sure that it can be done.
As for the sequel, I'll be working on that this winter... in between massive powder days. My first season back after quite a long break. Cannot. Wait.

Der Weisse Rauch ? I know it's going back some, even well before my time and that's saying something ! However as a film it stands up to a lot of scrutiny. Can't think of (m)any others that aren't just films with people askiing in them (i.e. have a script). Heroes of Telemark perhaps
latest report
Quote:

By the way, Snowheads, in part because of your download skills, War & Piste hit the top of the Kindle charts for two days over the weekend. No mean feat, that - thanks a mill!

Very Happy Well done, good plan!

You were best off posting it here - as the Apres Zone is not viewable to the public or Google - just to SH members so you would have limited your market.

Everything on the piste RELATES to skiing, its not the physical act of skiing!
ski holidays
Just read the 1st few pages and giggled about how real some of the things happening were Laughing
snow report
I guess my reservations are because I would quite like it to be a proper story, told in the best possible way, character-driven etc., but with plausible, well-shot and absolutely-not-slapstick ski scenes.
The story is not a thriller or drama, it's comedy, so the film could easily go the Chalet Girl route and have the entirety of the skiing focus on falling over on the nursery slopes, plus one montage. I don't really want the ski parts to be token. I didn't get to lavish as many of the novel's words on detailed, exciting ski adventures as I would have liked to (apparently that wouldn't have been that entertaining for most readers). But there is still a lot indicated in there, and it is clear how important and central the mountain is to the characters. I'd hate that to disappear from the film.
latest report
SnowRetreat wrote:
Just read the 1st few pages and giggled about how real some of the things happening were Laughing

Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Quote:

Very Happy Well done, good plan!

You were best off posting it here - as the Apres Zone is not viewable to the public or Google - just to SH members so you would have limited your market.

Everything on the piste RELATES to skiing, its not the physical act of skiing!

Thanks! Still, next time I'll post in both Smile
snow conditions
maggi, I think I can share the book from my kindle to yours if you want. Someone will have to tell me how to do it though Laughing
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
maggi, I think I can share the book from my kindle to yours if you want. Someone will have to tell me how to do it though Laughing

I think that's possible, something to do with Amazon Prime though, I think...?
latest report
AlexT, I actually bought it in St Anton in February in "Spielbuchan" I think it's called??....it's a really cute toy/book shop across from the Bankomat and the Alte Post...what a read, I got stuck into it during a white day....it's utterly brilliant.

...and written by a Dub too, keep it up.
snow conditions
Oh no, missed this! I've been meaning to buy it on Kindle for AGES... Oh well, I guess £1.53 isn't exactly going to break the bank...
ski holidays
AlexT wrote:
Has there ever been a good ski film? I mean well written, well shot and with (most importantly) proper ski and board sequences? I'm not at all sure that it can be done.

Downhill Racer
snow conditions
Well my teenage daughter says she will never forgive Poppy for deserting her board in the first few pages but says this is way better than Chalet Girl (which I think she probably knows by heart given how often she watches the DVD)
latest report
dazman, Ahhh brilliant - perfect location for the read that was in it Smile

BlueSky, sorry... maybe ask Santa for the print edition for Christmas...?! If Santa emails me, I'll sort a signed copy Wink

fatbob, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064253/ How have I never seen this??
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
AlexT wrote:
Has there ever been a good ski film? I mean well written, well shot and with (most importantly) proper ski and board sequences? I'm not at all sure that it can be done.

Downhill Racer

Hot Dog the Movie
ski holidays
AlexT - Thanks so much for letting us know about your book. I downloaded it last weekend and finished it last night. It was hillarious! I loved it and couldn't put it down all day yesterday. I felt quite depressed getting the tube in to central London this morning and started to seriously think about doing a season before I reach 30 in a couple of years! I think it needs to be done. Any hints or tips on how/where to start would be most welcome!

Thanks again Alex and have a great winter!

Chris xx
latest report
davkt wrote:
Well my teenage daughter says she will never forgive Poppy for deserting her board in the first few pages but says this is way better than Chalet Girl (which I think she probably knows by heart given how often she watches the DVD)

That's lovely to hear, thanks! Please pass on my sincere apologies that Poppy let down the snowboarding side..
You wouldn't believe how much abuse I got for that part of the story. And in real life, because that is actually what I did in the first couple of weeks of my first season. Let's just say Poppy's forced labour as the snowploughing resort ski guide was inspired by some interesting memories of my *over enthusiastic* resort manager.. Mind you, it's so easy to cruise around all season and never improve, so I'm glad to have had a good reason to learn fast. And once you get the bug..
latest report
kitenski wrote:
fatbob wrote:
AlexT wrote:

Downhill Racer

Hot Dog the Movie

Was thinking about Hot Dog but I'm not sure acting and script particularly qualify. Skiing is good though. We better add Aspen Extreme too - that's got proper actors (plus Trevor Eve & Martin Kemp doing comedy Austrian baddies accents) and anything where Coombs stunt doubled is worthy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy