Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sir, Sir....Am I an Intermidiot yet???

Poster: A snowHead
@kitenski, Hi Greg
yes I have the gopro mounted up under the handle of my baton. I hold it by the basket.I found it did help to train my hands to stay up n ready to plant.
I can feel the difference when my ski bites and when it washes out. I'm still guilty of standing on it before its edged properly, but use little mantras to help in transition n set up, now I'm trying to extend control to my inner ski that seems to wander up the hill mid turn. You may have seen me lifting and placing the little toe edge through the turn.
I do often forget my core n remain too floppy.
Are you using your L2 ? Are you doing any L3 modules yet.
I was discussing the Common Theory module with an ISIA. Sounds interesting.
I have done my MLTB Mountain Leader Training Summer so looking forward to Mountain Safety
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
altis wrote:
You'll have much better control of your skis if you turn your upper body into a bigger flywheel. Imagine you're just about to give Mr Michelin a bear hug. Tense up those core muscles and push your arms out to increase your angular momentum. When you hit a bump let your suspension take the work and don't flop about.

The left/right movement of your legs is great. I'd like to see more for/aft movement too. Try throwing in a little pause at the feet as you transition between turns so that they get left behind. This'll push the weight forwards on your skis and, hopefully, onto your new edges. Somewhere on here there's a great video of some American instructor doing this on an easy slope with medium turns. His skis are practically stationary between turns.

@altis.... excellent advice thank you
do you mean Josh Foster from Big White

http://youtube.com/v/4SuH4dcJcBQ
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
olderscot wrote:
I want to know where our bumbling intermidiot has gone and what you've done with him! It's not fair you know.

(shuffles off muttering about stuff like raising the bar and how are the rest of us supposed to keep up with this...)

I like the new look. You're definitely becoming a man of the mountain.

Lol Laughing
awwww that's praise indeed
I've passed the Intermidiot baton to Happychap Toofy Grin
He did 10 days with me in Jan and worked really hard. Hope this apprentice lasts longer than Darth Mawl lol

http://youtube.com/v/HPfgSFLrAVE
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Anyone know the best deal on a pair of HEAD Magnums?
Do BASI get a discount?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
focus on what your coaches tell you and please don't take on any more well intentioned ideas... What did Derek tell you to focus on?

JUST FOCUS ON THAT YOU DON'T NEED MORE STUFF FLYING AROUND IN YOUR HEAD ... see you in Finland for fun and games Wink

sorry but as an example lots of the altis advice is wrong for your personal development
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimottaret, affirmative. ... transition, transition, transition Smile
packing for Ruka snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@franzClammer, not done anything with my l2, it's kind of parked now as main work and family taking up all my time!!

Thinking about the l3 mountain safety course next season. This year just skiing, having fun and not stressing about passing anything Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@franzClammer, @skimottaret, See you both in Ruka! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been watching this thread, like many, for a while and i'd just like to say well done on a great transformation from what looked like a beginner into, dare i say it, an upper intermediate. You are clearly dedicated and getting plenty of slope time..............makes me very jealous....with only one or two trips a year I'm finding progress with my skiing very slow! I guess with only 4 weeks in the last 5 years I'm going to be resigned to little progress. A private lesson each trip does unlock the next tweak to improve my skiing but it's very frustrating. But still totally in love with the mountains and skiing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@gazzaredcruiser, Thanks for a much appreciated contribution. So yeh even with some dedication and lots of slope time, I'm still an Intermidiot lol be that an upper one.
I can appreciate the frustration. Have you considered a fridge or dry slope for practice?
Do you ski with the same Instructor or go to different places. The continuity you can develope with the same person at a Snowcentre or Dry slope can pay dividends that for some are more productive than ad hoc lessons on holiday. Saying that, IMHO any input is better than none.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gazzaredcruiser wrote:
I've been watching this thread, like many, for a while and i'd just like to say well done on a great transformation from what looked like a beginner into, dare i say it, an upper intermediate. You are clearly dedicated and getting plenty of slope time..............makes me very jealous....with only one or two trips a year I'm finding progress with my skiing very slow! I guess with only 4 weeks in the last 5 years I'm going to be resigned to little progress. A private lesson each trip does unlock the next tweak to improve my skiing but it's very frustrating. But still totally in love with the mountains and skiing Toofy Grin

Try and make regular trips to a fridge especially from May to Nov try and get down at least once a week more if possible and book a one hour lesson once a month and practice what you where shown in the lesson on the other visits.
Many don't improve not because they are not good enough but because they do not get enough practice and take 6-10 months off each year. It is very hard to improve under these conditions and love them or hate them fridges and dryslopes can mean we get more skiing in each year we keep improving all year rather than spending the first few days of our one or two week holiday getting back to the level we where at towards the end of last years holiday.

No disrespect to FC but almost all skiers can reach the level he is at ( I do expect him to improve a lot more as the years go by ). But you have to commit the time and effort to do so, ( as he clearly has done and continues to do ). You do not learn to ride a bike and as soon as you can stay upright and ride round put it away for 8 months and hope to just get back on and be at the same level or better and skiing is no different keep practising all year round it is small improvements often, not eureka moments each year or so that really count.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@gazzaredcruiser, I get what speed098 is saying, but personally reckon it is better investing non-spend on fridge skiing into a holiday that combines fun and tuition - you will improve and quickly. Inside out skiing is one excellent option (and if u do want to spend summertime in a fridge you can do that with them too). Don't see the pt in fridge skiing without tuition - skiing solo won't get you better to extent you're after.

Massive respect to Franz btw. Looking forward to the Kitzb. video next year Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Double Bombardino, skiing in a fridge practising drills or specific tasks will improve your skiing. I improved my moguls by skiing them indoor over summer!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, yep you've trumped my generalisation with another one wink

Point I was making is that for folk like @gazzaredcruiser, who seems to get a single lesson p/a, if he / she starts mucking around with solo drills without having had plenty of foundation work from good instructors, it is as likely lead to bad habits as good ones. As well as wasting a south coast summer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Iski, Very Happy
snow report
Double Bombardino wrote:
@kitenski, yep you've trumped my generalisation with another one wink

Point I was making is that for folk like @gazzaredcruiser, who seems to get a single lesson p/a, if he / she starts mucking around with solo drills without having had plenty of foundation work from good instructors, it is as likely lead to bad habits as good ones. As well as wasting a south coast summer.

That is why you have a lesson in the fridge or dryslope. hopefully you build up a rapour with the instructor. Also check if the slope has coaching clinics, coffee morning, 50 plus or ladies morning as these often include instruction/coaching with the added advantage of potentially skiing with others of a similar ability not just on these sessions.

But the main point is to keep skiing year round not just a few weeks each year. you will build and maintain ski fitness and steady progression unlike one or two weeks each season where for most they spend the first few days getting back into the groove.

Too many under estimate the advantage fridges/dryslopes provide. Just ask the really good skiers you see from the UK if they use these places/ski all year round, or just the odd week or two each year.
snow report
@Double Bombardino,
@kitenski,
I think it's a matter of "mind set". I wasted many hours at Hemel reinforcing bad habits. However after some pro input I was able to be more disciplined and start to reverse this.
I think for some a skiing holiday is an enforced boot camp type experience, for others a new career path and for some the tao to fulfillment
anyway I must finish packing for Lapland, off to see Satan....oops I meant Santa

Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/w_ciftpz-Vo
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
...anyway I must finish packing for Lapland, off to see Satan...
Ah, so you know who your instructor will be...

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@rob@rar, Freudian slip oops Confused
Very Happy
latest report
@franzClammer, Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
franzClammer wrote:
...anyway I must finish packing for Lapland, off to see Satan...
Ah, so you know who your instructor will be...

Toofy Grin

Keep a tally of one legged drills Satan can invent Smile
snow conditions
@franzClammer, in all seriousness it'd be very interesting if you have the time to update on your Finland trip next week!
ski holidays
gazzaredcruiser wrote:

With that intensity of skiing unfortunately you aren't going to make much progress beyond slow and steady. With the best prep in the world I reckon it takes 2-3 days minimum to regain your previous "best" level and then you've only got 3 days left to actually improve. Guys like inside out are really good at making that improvement between your holidays however but it obviously takes investment.
snow conditions
A little video from our BASI Tune-Up course in December in Meribel featuring @franzclammer in a few clips snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/Pqhiczug5m0
snow report
@skimottaret, Excellent. Thanks for posting that.
snow conditions
Great vid @skimottaret, pleased to see customary grim reaper stuff in final minute Very Happy
snow report
@db filming nothing to do with me. Derek put it together Wink pretty deep snow massively jel that I wasn't there !
ski holidays
Lovely to watch the skiing in those conditions. It looks like everyone was having great fun.

It looked to me as if some were doing a bit better than others. Would it be fair to say there was a mix of level 1 and level 2 candidates?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yip thats fair to say....
snow conditions
@franzClammer, Looking good mate
snow conditions
@franzClammer, I live near Chichester so the fridge is quite a trip and i'm not very fond of dry slopes, they feel so slow and it seems a different technic id needed so i find it counter productive. there's no substitute for the mountains.
snow report
franzClammer wrote:

do you mean Josh Foster from Big White

http://youtube.com/v/4SuH4dcJcBQ

I like Josh Foster's ski tips. Always simple, practical advice and not full of techno babble. He's a great skier too, we spend a fair bit of time at Big White and often see him around. The ski school he runs there is fantastic too - especially the kids school.
snow report
WHOA!!!' Lapland is very different to what I'm used to.
It feels for most of the time so far like proper Arctic skiing. The weather has been kind to us apparently, pmsl Laughing
Last week was -35deg. This week it's been a balmy -4 appx. Balmy by all accounts.
The snow is like manna from heaven. It's so forgiving. There is still untracked pow all over the place and still corduroy at 4pm Shocked
The tuition is top class as expected from Rob, Scott & Ian of Inside Out.
Company is excellent. Much better than a gopro on a pole. Lol
For a proper update have a look at IOS Facebook page

snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-02-16 19:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Glad you are all having a great time with great conditions snowHead
Now stop making us all jealous and get of the puter and do some skiing wink
Some of us will not be getting away skiing till June Sad
ski holidays
Last day and Franz is still insisting on Surfing his Shorts.... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

https://vimeo.com/155222807
snow report
@skimottaret, Very Happy Very Happy That must have been a snow snake which got him.
snow report
I'm now beginning to wish I'd signed up. Feels odd not doing an 'Out' this season. Sad
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@skimottaret, Very Happy Very Happy That must have been a snow snake which got him.
No snakes up here. It was a hibernating bear that stuck a paw out...
snow report
@franzClammer, Turns looking nice and smooth (and complete)...until the snow bear-snake struck Laughing
snow report
@rob@rar, Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy