Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your "best pistes in the Alps"?

Poster: A snowHead
+1 for ulmerhutte, Although classed as a ski route it is regularly pisted, the run from Madloch to Zug is fecking awesome. Just seems to go on and on with a stunning backdrop
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In davos the black run down to wolfgang. You have to get a train back to its empty, very long and steep with plenty of bumps!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn't realise this was for the alps when I posted on my phone last night.

Rocher De L'Aigle in Montgenevre is my favourite red piste. It's got a lot going on with it and the views are great. Holds snow really well as well and is usually in great condition.

Dou Des Lanches is a superb mellow black in La Tania which is a good stepping stone from red to black. Usually very quiet and there's features all the way down. Some lovely off piste to the sides there as well.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting that two folk rate Sarrenne, apart from the top I found it a long boring not very steep run back!

Yes Mouse Hole is a good run snowball,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I love Jerusalem too, but it will not be everyone's cup of tea. It is just another red, really, but what makes it different is the rollers on it. At quite modest speed (i.e. mine) you get a weird zero-G feeling which makes your arms feel weightless.

I second the votes for Creux, which is a lovely gully that keeps its snow well. In the same area, I like both Vallon runs,but my favourite is Mouflon, which is rarely busy, quite steep in places and has an odd camber, which I find pleasantly challenging.
Folyeres is a top hoon, with a good bar at the end.

In the Dolomites, yes the Hidden Valley is great, especially around 4 o'clock when you can have it to yourself. Don't forget La Risa. Only red at my pay grade, but a lovely run..

Nice thread to get us started on dreaming about the season to come.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chris Bish wrote:

Nice thread to get us started on dreaming about the season to come.

snowHead

Isn't it! Very Happy This one and the 'Lifts' thread are right up my alley - get's us all remembering past glories and anticpating those in prospect

Also very useful - I'm jotting a few of these down for future reference
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish wrote:
I love Jerusalem too, but it will not be everyone's cup of tea. It is just another red, really, but what makes it different is the rollers on it. At quite modest speed (i.e. mine) you get a weird zero-G feeling which makes your arms feel weightless.

Surely everyone who's ever skied (or boarded) Jerusalem has had the 'whoops I went over that one a bit too quick' feeling Smile

I certainly have.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have, and have been with a few who have had 'whoops, I just shat my pants as I went over that one a bit too quick' feeling.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jagerbombs with charlatanefc and Jerry-the-ankles --- Dec 24th 2008 -- somewhere in Zermatt
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For me Folyeres (LT)always hits the spot, as does Creux in Courchevel when it's quiet (but hate it when it's busy). Last season my best run was on Pylones also in Courchevel after it had been freshly groomed and first down it Very Happy. Like Combe de Vallon as so long and good gradient. Not been for years but agree with sentiment on Pierre de Ric when quiet we hooned that a few times Toofy Grin OK and Orange in VdI quite like. For out of the way Sache in Tignes is great.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ventina from Klein Matterhorn to Cervinia

The run from the top of Hohsaas to Saas Grund. Unbelievably stunning scenery, a rollercoaster of a ride at the top with variants and a beautiful woodland path at the end. Total descent 1600m
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Piste 1a in Muhlbach
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SCollier1 wrote:
Piste 1a in Muhlbach
Quote:

Interesting that two folk rate Sarrenne, apart from the top I found it a long boring not very steep run back!

What makes a good piste?

imo

Long distance with a good drop between start and finish points
Sense of being on your own, not too crowded
Sense of destination, no other pistes or lifts in sight
Sense of challenge, does not need to be scary - but varying terrain is nice
Good pisting or snow

I accept that the bottom (track) of Sarrenne can be boring, but it ticks the above boxes, as long as the snow conditions are good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I have, and have been with a few who have had 'whoops, I just shat my pants as I went over that one a bit too quick' feeling.

Liking the sound of this!

Had a similar experience of very unforeseen airtime going over a snow cannon pile on Folyeres. Biggest surprise was landing it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DavidYacht, I think people see the Sarenne's rating as black and expect 18km at 30 degrees. It doesn't give that but it is a blast if you get decent snow conditions, a sunny day to enjoy the views and not too many people
ski holidays
Simple trig tells you that there aren't any mountains high enough in the Alps to provide 18kms of actual black run!

But it's great fun, good and long, away from lift machinery, very very pretty... Love it.
snow report
Lachenal - la Flegere.

Piste de l'Ours in Veysonnaz.

Pierre a Ric when empty.

Lachenal is slightly irritating as it would be a beautiful route it left unmarket but then, that is true of most fun piste skiing. Piste de 'Ours can be gunned at eyewatering speed without the consequences being that bad. Pierre a Ric, likewise and can be heinously dangerous - but then there's more than one way down from Lognan.
ski holidays
Nobody has mentioned the Grand Couloir at Courchevel. If I am on my own so don't want to go far off piste I head over there first.
latest report
Piste de l'ours is an absolute belter, wide with lots of rollers and sweeping changes of direction. Best time to get it is just after they've finished training downhill on it as its in lovely condition and hardly anybody on it as folk think its closed because of the safety netting on the very top section.
snow report
My list of favourite runs tends to vary from day to day depending on what I am looking for. So today's list, in no particular order is:

Les Arcs - Combourcier (black) -a few km of never-ending moguls, never busy and very unlikely to meet a group of snowboarders sitting across the piste
Vallandry - Belette (red) - lovely carving red, good visibility all the way down so you can really let rip, always good snow.
Meibel - Combe du Vallon (red) - a long big mountain route, which because it is only served by a single telecabine is never crowded. The snow is usually the best in the Meribel valley
Tignes - from the Grande Motte down Descente. (black) another fast carving run on good snow that is rarely busy
Alagna - Olen (black) followed by Alagna (red) form the top of the passo Salati (2971m) all the way down to the village at 1212m. The snow has to be good for the bottom to be enjoyable and there is a bit of a trek out at the bottom, the top may be marked as black but in most resorts it would be a red but overall it is a really enjoyable run.

I have many other favourite linked runs, for example from the Col du chal in Les Arcs all the way down to Vallandry non stop mixing reds and blues. I find these combinations very satisfying. Knowing the resort and memorising pistes maps really helps in getting the best runs in a resort.
latest report
my problem is that i can never remember the names of runs rolling eyes
latest report
Vallons or Chancel. Technically almost skier packed at times so qualify.
latest report
snowball wrote:
Nobody has mentioned the Grand Couloir at Courchevel. If I am on my own so don't want to go far off piste I head over there first.

As it's on the piste map I suppose technically it's a piste, but really I think it should be classed as an off piste route. I think it's only on the piste map because Courchevel has little in the way of genuinely black pistes.
snow conditions
Chapelets in Courchevel 1650. Super-fast, sweepy red.

Combe Saulire, 1850, first thing in the morning.

Marmottes off the back of Mt Chery in Les Gets

Bouquetin in the same place. A proper test of skiing.
snow conditions
Seceda down to S. Cristina, lovely fast cruise

James Bond Run, James Bond run

Le Sache in Tigne, feels like your way off piste

Le Face VDI, just loads of fun

Combe de caron Val Thorens, fast
snow report
I've numbered them but not out of preference - I don't think I could Wink

1) I always loved La Sache in Tignes, since before I could even ski it properly and it was a 40 minute 'ordeal' that really earned U a beer at the bottom.

2) It's not just one piste but a non-stop run made up of a few: Top of La Saulire to Le Praz (Courchevel) - Lunar => Urban => treelined lushness, in one run!

3) The Lauberhorn, Wengen. One word: Epic!

4) I really like the run down into Pozza di Fassa (coming from Alba) but I don't know what it's called - although it nearly killed Dukeski a couple of Birthday Bashes ago Confused (That's not why I chose it btw.)

5) Sasslong, Selva - it just makes me want to go faster Blush
ski holidays
My favourite is the Indian Village in Les Gets.... errm? Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
admin, +1 for the run into Pozza di Fassa. The rock formations at the top of the run are just incredible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richjp wrote:
snowball wrote:

As it's on the piste map I suppose technically it's a piste, but really I think it should be classed as an off piste route. I think it's only on the piste map because Courchevel has little in the way of genuinely black pistes.

It used to be a black piste - not sure if it might be an itinerary now. Heavily used anyway. I think it is good to have one or two black runs that are over 30º over their steepest section, Not many in the Alps are.
If it is classed as a piste and marked as one then it is a piste. Your thinking it shouldn't be is irrelevant. It isn't a groomer, of course, but that isn't part of the definition of a piste. It is a pity that more pistes aren't left unbashed - the way they used to be.
snow report
Quote:

In hindsight, I'm surprised this hasn't come up until now...

Haven't been but it's high on the wishlist - is the piste true to the famous race course? Smile
latest report
Mt Vallon red at Meribel, Combe de Lac at back of Val Thorens across to Meribel I think for usually excellent snow, the run from the top of the newish six seater Honegg right down to Grund at Wengen/Grindelwald for sheer lunch and beauty and, possibly doesn't count as there is one short lift and the snow is often bad/impassable at the bottom the Schilthorn down to Lauterbrunnen at Murren effectively the Inferno route but slghtly more indirect as they do not have the benefit of the lift for sheer length and beauty of scenery.
snow report
Quote:

Alagna - Olen (black) followed by Alagna (red) form the top of the passo Salati (2971m) all the way down to the village at 1212m. The snow has to be good for the bottom to be enjoyable and there is a bit of a trek out at the bottom, the top may be marked as black but in most resorts it would be a red but overall it is a really enjoyable run.

Interesting! Have Alagna on the list but for various off-piste reasons... This is good to know!
snow conditions
bungabunga wrote:
Quote:

In hindsight, I'm surprised this hasn't come up until now...

Haven't been but it's high on the wishlist - is the piste true to the famous race course? Smile
Yes, except that they don't let U get any air off the Hundschopf. A fence forces you across the top of it to the right of the piste.
latest report
What a lovely thread! Ever so difficult, though, isn't it? (A bit like Desert Island Discs.) After much thought I chose (not in order):

Tulipe in Les Gets - long fast red, good for a blast when it's uncrowded
Schilthorn in Murren (providing it's not too icy at the top) - good challenge, beautiful scenery
Les Choucas in Les Gets - 'chocolate box run' with frozen waterfall and happy memories of our children doing it for the first time
Blue run past la Tovassiere near Morgins (don't know its name) - pretty scenery away from it all, nice hostelry on the way
Almost any run at the end of the day just after the lifts have shut and it's all gone quiet.
snow conditions
gorilla,
Quote:

Lachenal - la Flegere.

Piste de l'Ours in Veysonnaz.

Pierre a Ric when empty.

Lachenal is slightly irritating as it would be a beautiful route it left unmarket but then, that is true of most fun piste skiing. Piste de 'Ours can be gunned at eyewatering speed without the consequences being that bad. Pierre a Ric, likewise and can be heinously dangerous - but then there's more than one way down from Lognan.

+1 for Lachenal in Flegere - especially the morning after a dump as most of the resident powderhounds in Cham ignore it as it's a piste but the pisties will often leave it "natural" for a day or so!

Sache in Tignes, Kandahar in Les Houches and the run from Valluga all the way down to Stuben in St. Anton are my favourite runs.

Off to Selva Val Gardena in Feb for the first time, glad to see a few runs over there being mentioned!
latest report
In no particular order, but (1) my favourite on piste run. Not good with names of pistes, never know them............

1. Stuben from Schindler, St Anton (before 9am).

2. Sache, from top of Percee, Tignes. (before lunch)

3. Muggengrat to Zurs (early, before going back up to do white ring, great warm up)

4. Les Laisenants from the top, Val. (late pm)

5. Tommeuses from top down La Daille, Val (early or late, not on chalet hosts day off, Thursday when all the plonkers are out). Stay on left as come down.

6. Nendaz - top station down to bottom of drag, on way over to Verbier (early, sun coming up)

7. Black on way back, bottom of Plan De Fou to chair up to Nendaz (late sun going down, last lift)

8. Chasseur, Verbier (any time, best just before lunch)

9. Triftji bumbs, Zermatt (not after 2 beers, ACL snapped on here 15 years ago, ouch)

10. Albona (top to Stuben), Arlberg, (anytime, always great)
ski holidays
Forgot - Kandahar in St Anton Cool
snow report
Markymark29, top of Schindler all the way down to Stuben on Red 14 onto Blue 17 not on the list then???
latest report
kitenski, get your glasses on greg - that's his no 1! wink
snow report
DOH!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy