Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whitedot Skis....

Poster: A snowHead
fatbob wrote:
In other news - how do you feel about these guys - even got the teardrop shaped logo, when I saw them in teh slush & rubble catalogue I first thought you were doing a retailer exclusive

http://www.white-doctor.com/en/

Wow!!! I thought this was an April fool at first! Straightforward Passing off no?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mishmash, I don't know, I really don't.

I mean use of the word white as part of a business name in the snow sports industry is hardly unique to us, nor is the teardrop as a logo shape (twitter/facebook/pc world/alpine transfer co's all use it).

But on the other hand a ski company, with white in the name (suddenly) and using the teardrop (albeit the other way up), on a range of 'no gimmick/nanotech' skis; I do think I've seen that concept before.

So come on: I know there are snowHeads who hang in SC, someone must know Bob, are we being cynical?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It seems Vancouver Translink liked your teardrop design too (and Ragnorok colour scheme) wink
http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Compass-Card/About-Compass.aspx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stuarth, I bet those Ragnarok coloured cards are super stiff, perfect for slipping locks Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Harry Flashman wrote:
.....Utterly horrid on tough hardpack or ice - simply too chattery and unstable. The problem with the latter is that the edge design (no bevel - just straight sandwiching of the laminate ski and steel edge) means that giving them anything less than a 90 degree angle isn't easy.....

Whitedot's were originally spec'd to have a 3 degree side edge (as per the label on the ski) but the production was shipped by the factory with a 1 - which is a shame as their build quality in all other respects is excellent.

However it's really easy sort them for great edge hold on hardpack. If you DIY tune then a quick trim back of the sidewall & reset the side edge angle to 3 dgrees (=87) & you're good to go or take them to a decent shop ( wink ) & get 'em to do it for you.

Jon - you read my mind! Going to spend a weekend tuning them nicely before heading to Tahoe, to get a nice 3 degree magic angle. I think it will transform them on the hard stuff (which may be what I'll be getting early season in Tahoe - doubt it will be too powdery in mid December unless they have a really good early snowfall...)

However, while I'm reasonably confident tuning my skis (having followed your excellent guides, practised on some old skis, and sucessfully tuning my White Dots for my summer freeski camp) - but I have to admit that trimming the sidewall is daunting, due to the design. It would involve cutting away quite a lot of material, as the sidewall is basically convex, then a straight line to the edgs. Not sure I'm confident hacking them that much...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
midgetbiker wrote:
mishmash, I don't know, I really don't.

I mean use of the word white as part of a business name in the snow sports industry is hardly unique to us, nor is the teardrop as a logo shape (twitter/facebook/pc world/alpine transfer co's all use it).

But on the other hand a ski company, with white in the name (suddenly) and using the teardrop (albeit the other way up), on a range of 'no gimmick/nanotech' skis; I do think I've seen that concept before.

So come on: I know there are snowHeads who hang in SC, someone must know Bob, are we being cynical?

Have you read this ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_off - it seems pretty close to me. Teardrop, Name, Left/Right design line

I d be drafting my letter to S&R now and commissioning an independent "Mystery Shopper" survey... The test looks to me like a punter walks in and asks : do you stock a brand of ski called Whitedot?
what do you think the snow and rock sales guy says next???
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
midgetbiker, Yes... I'm looking forward to giving a good bash. Many thanks...It's a credit to your company to have such positive things said by everyone on here. Keep up the good work.

And thanks to everyone for the informative discussion... Cool
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harry Flashman wrote:

Jon - you read my mind! Going to spend a weekend tuning them nicely before heading to Tahoe, to get a nice 3 degree magic angle. I think it will transform them on the hard stuff (which may be what I'll be getting early season in Tahoe - doubt it will be too powdery in mid December unless they have a really good early snowfall...)

It's never too powdery in Tahoe - too coastal for that but you can get 2 foot accumulations easily in 24 hours. The only deathpack I've ever skied there is on the WROD last year during the epic drought - most locals were definitely not skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Harry Flashman, I took a trip to Jon's a couple of weeks ago and among the jobs he did was trimming the sidewalls and resetting the edge angles on 3 new pairs of skis. I'll be fine keeping them at 3 degrees.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker wrote:

On the bright side, they're only selling boring conventionally shaped skis in boring conventional colours. Doubt there would be a "Manager" 5-point ski in fuchsia any time soon Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serriadh wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

On the bright side, they're only selling boring conventionally shaped skis in boring conventional colours. Doubt there would be a "Manager" 5-point ski in fuchsia any time soon Smile

yeah, precisely, sort of.

I mean I'm not dissing their skis, I've never tried them but I'm sure they work well, within the confines of what they are....

And I (personally) love our 'branding', our name, and the 'designed' look of our skis.....

But, I also like to think that people buy from us primarily because of the skis: The way they ski; the construction; the technical design elements; the quality; the pro rider led development.

So...........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
midgetbiker, just a point about your website.

Why do you have a front page where you have to choose the language of the site when there is only one language available? It's not very clear that this is what it's for.

If you've only got one language, I'd suggest you go straight to the english version home page. If you have more languages coming along later, then deal with it when they are going live.

Just a thought.

Love your skis, and your brand. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly, point taken.

The other languages are coming as the distributors translate their regions, but I agree the front page is not totally intuitive.

Maybe we just need to add the words 'please select your region'?

It's kind of hard to find the time to do anything but organise ski shipments at the moment. Dual tasking right now, cheese butty left hand, one finger typing right hand.

on that theme apologies to anyone who had their smartphone by the bed last night and was woken by an email from me at 1am Embarassed (and no I'm not currently in another time zone).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swadster,

Quote:

(maybe Paradiski?)

You wern't 'cos I was skiing Whitedots in Les Arcs last year Very Happy and will be again in Feb '13!

Quote:

I don't know, I guess we start to get worried when they go for the shorter: White Doc. Still they say imitation is.............

or for your lawyer now - that's a potential passing off action if ever I saw one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
midgetbiker wrote:
Serriadh wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

yeah, precisely, sort of.

I mean I'm not dissing their skis, I've never tried them but I'm sure they work well, within the confines of what they are....

And I (personally) love our 'branding', our name, and the 'designed' look of our skis.....

But, I also like to think that people buy from us primarily because of the skis: The way they ski; the construction; the technical design elements; the quality; the pro rider led development.

So...........

I would be interested in a ski like their FT8 (118-74-104 in a 170-175 cm length) with your technology and topsheet.
snow conditions
Mike Pow, maybe we should just copy it then Twisted Evil
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
Mike Pow, maybe we should just copy it then Twisted Evil

Very Happy

Don't think they have dibs on that profile though wink
latest report
^ waits for this post to be used in an upcoming lawsuit Twisted Evil
latest report
grr and double grr, not that one obviously the one above it Sad
snow report
tiffin,

say my name, say my name ..... (with apologies to Beyonce - dont' sue me, O bouncy one)
snow report
Quote:

stuarth, I bet those Ragnarok coloured cards are super stiff, perfect for slipping locks

wouldn't that mean they handle like barges??????
snow conditions
One pair of Preachers, one pair of Redeemers and some days I think I'm God.

I'm getting treatment but it doesn't always work that well...
snow conditions
Just a note re the base and edge angles. Had mine checked this morning when i had the bindings fitted...they are as described at 1 and 3 degrees. Cool The shop staff were drooling all over 'em...never seen such fuss in a ski shop before. Shocked Cool
snow conditions
midgetbiker, I still think you should extend your range with names more appropriate to your users:

The Desk Jockey
The Cubicle Monkey

etc
snow report
fatbob wrote:
midgetbiker, I still think you should extend your range with names more appropriate to your users:

The Desk Jockey
The Cubicle Monkey

etc

"The Forum Troll"
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:

The Desk Jockey
The Cubicle Monkey

etc

Well the name for the next one (you know, the red one with the forked tail) is set, but we'll bare those suggestions in mind for the future.
ski holidays
spud wrote:
Just a note re the base and edge angles. Had mine checked this morning when i had the bindings fitted...they are as described at 1 and 3 degrees. Cool The shop staff were drooling all over 'em...never seen such fuss in a ski shop before. Shocked Cool

I'd check them again as I've mounted three pairs of the new 12/13 skis today & they were 1,1.
ski holidays
midgetbiker, Just dont call them Savilles!! (will avoid any lude comments here about tail and forking etc) rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
midgetbiker wrote:
Well the name for the next one (you know, the red one with the forked tail) is set, .......

Wait, wait; let me guess Laughing
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
spud wrote:

I'd check them again as I've mounted three pairs of the new 12/13 skis today & they were 1,1.

Hmmmm...The Ski Tech in the shop came out and showed me. We even ran progressive side angles of files down the side to check. As I did question it...Definately 1 and 3 on mine... Puzzled

I've not had time to check myself with my own equipment...but will do again.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
Well the name for the next one (you know, the red one with the forked tail) is set, .......

Wait, wait; let me guess Laughing

Nope your wrong, false trail and all that.
ski holidays
The Despot?
latest report
The Dictator would be a great name...
ski holidays
The Hamsa............. likely quite a hooky ski?
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:

Salomon beat em to it.
snow report
Serriadh wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Salomon beat em to it.

Dammit.
ski holidays
From the Snow & Rock web site

Quote:
After 20 years working with the top French ski brands, Eric ‘Bob’ Bobrowicz created Ride Doctor, a new ski brand based in Serre Chevalier.

It was his belief that there was a gap in the market for people who wanted to do things differently: build REAL skis for REAL skiers at a REAL price.

Now called White Doctor , Bob has just released his fifth collection of skis and here at Snow + Rock we’re delighted to bring you his brand exclusively in the UK.

So seems like 4 winters as Ride Doctor and one winter as White Doctor.
snow conditions
Want to try them in Tignes? Snowpark, Rue de la Poste, Le Lac , ask for Regise. Has most on test.
ski holidays
Om nom nom nom, these will be skiing in Iceland and Japan this year. 73/100. Very Happy

ski holidays
Quote:

So seems like 4 winters as Ride Doctor and one winter as White Doctor.

actually that is grain to the 'passing off' mill. Changing your name to 'near' a competitors makes it sooooooo much harder to argue that you had never heard of their name previously AND that no one suggested to you that it might be a tad too similar. There's also the question of WhiteDot having protected their name and image. If they have (and I feel sure they would have done so) the good 'Doctor' had access to public information which he should have checked. Ignorance is no excuse.

meh, Iceland, Japan and this season's WD Redeemers ................I'm stuck on the project from hell that won't let release my tender parts from it's iron, toothy grip ................ I frickin h8 you, you total and utter barsteward!! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy