Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Use Rises But Head Injuries Outstrip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not interested in helmets but has the development of skis had any impact upon injuries? You can go pretty dam fast (in variable conditions) on a modern ski without much skill required.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would expect to see more people hitting their helmeted head when skiing through the trees.
we are very good at moving body parts away from obstacles but add an extra inch or so either side and we often misjudge.

but as the vast majority don't go ripping it up through forests, I doubt these incidents account for many in the report
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neville, it's more to do with people hooning down a tree-lined run, catching an edge and getting an interesting new bark complexion. Go to say, Vail, and you see quite a few little shrines on trees just by the run.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles wrote:
Clearly one helmet is not enough. Two should be worn. I expect snowHeads will lead..

See also, youtube.com/v/vHjWDCX1Bdw?t=2m49s

(cos the automagic youtube video embedding doesn't understand offsets)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
limegreen1 wrote:
just make sure its well vented. i bought a k2 rant without thinking or seeing it and it only has a tiny slot to the front, Confused .... sweated me plums off !
Im still not sold on wearing one at all times .. ( i really dont know why )

I've got a Bolle. No problems with over heating, however, it was well below freezing during the only week I used it.

Are we drifting off thread.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
meh, I was the same as Richard_Sideways, I couldn't access the abstract either Sad

SH's off topic? Shocked Never!!

Well, not more than several times a day Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok - all kids should wear helmets.... but for all those adults, make your own choice, I wear one now after skiing nearly all my life. If I am honest I really don't like it, but I do feel a little safer, albeit I feel like I have selective hearing and compression of the head...hey ho. As Bode Swiller says "it must be nearly winter". The helmet debate will continue.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parkesy wrote:
I'm currently in the market for a helmet after many years of skiing without.

Took me a while to come round yet I have no idea why. Interesting topic

It probably took you a while to come round, because you weren't wearing a helmet? Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I guess it's blocked in the UK but not in Iceland then. Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can highly recommend the GIRO G10, I was not a helmet wearer till this season, I run very warm and did not even like wearing a bobble unless it was freezing.

Bought the helmet after a scare involving me missing a rock with my head but catching it with my shoulder off-piste and how much it would have hurt/debilitated me if it had been the other way round.

However safety concerns aside I am happy with the helmet than the bobble I had before, its vented, but the venting is adjusted, I have not had any issues with heat in it, and on the way back from Le Gets this christmas when I got soaked to the skin crossing in morzine and then froze up solid on the way back up Tetras having the vents close and my hood up I was toasty.

In terms of ride I don't notice its there 99% of the time and most importantly for me being veey audio referenced the earflaps do not muffle hearing anywhere near as much as I expected/had experienced with other helmets I had tried.

I don't work for Giro and only mention this as my 2pennyworth to those who have practical doubts about helments even if they are convinced about the safety benefits. I.e. like me I knew a helment was a good idea but put it off until I had a scare becuase I was worried about overheating and hearings.

Cheers
G
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I see a fair number of head injuries in my working life (although not skiing related). Often needing to go to sleep for a scan +- transfer to the neurosurgeons. I wear a helmet. Even if it reduced the chance that I may need the professional services of someone like myself by half a percent it would be worth it.

It is hard enough banging someone off to sleep in a well staffed a and e resus room with plenty of help and warm hands. Would not fancy doing it on a cold ski slope unless absolutely necessary.

Bert

NHS anaesthetist
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Would not fancy doing it on a cold ski slope unless absolutely necessary.

Skullie How would you do that? Do you carry Anaesthesia Lite in your backpack?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BertIsfantastic wrote:

It is hard enough banging someone off to sleep in a well staffed a and e resus room with plenty of help and warm hands.

Laughing Laughing

I think I missed my vocation...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is do-able. Usually the backpack is carried by a helicopter with a paramedic and a critical are trained doctor. Having had a chat with docs that staff the chamonix helicopter it's not uncommon for them to need to give a GA on the mountain side. They carry drugs, equipment, monitoring and a portable ventilator. The UK HEMS services do the same - much more for major car related trauma etc rather than skier vs boarder or skier vs tree.

I don't usually carry the stuff with me whilst skiing. A small hip flask is more my style whilst skiing but given the kit I could If needed to.

This is why if you are going off piste with transceivers etc its daft not have at least basic first aid and a CPR course under your belt. It's fine to able to fish someone out of an avalanche but its stupid to not know how to at least try to keep them alive until a helicopter arrives.

Bert
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy