Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which skis for intermediate?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase my first pair of skis and boots. I am a 25 year old male, 6ft tall, weighing 170lbs.

In terms of ability: in March 2012 I took my first ski trip to Les Deux Alpes for 7 days and finished the week being able to perform good carved turns on straightforward black runs, however I felt I struggled on the very icy black runs which had many moguls. So far, all of my skiing has been on piste, but I imagine that I'd like to try some off piste in the future. I am a bit of a maniac - and last holiday I enjoyed skiing very fast and agressively - making quick turns and generally 'ripping it' down the mountain.

I intend to go on another holiday in Winter 2012/2013 where I will recieve another week of lessons which should hopefully transform me from intermediate to advanced. I would like a ski which will be suitable for my current skill level but will be usable as I progress towards advanced. I have been told that a wood core would be best for me rather than titanium - which may be a little unforgiving for an intermediate - is this true?

Similarly, I need recommendations of boots. I have tried a few boots on in store and quite liked the feel of a Salomon 90-flex boot, although I can't remember the exact name. Presumably I don't want to go any stiffer than a 90 flex boot for my skill level if I want to be comfortable for an 8-hour day of skiing?

I guess I am just not sure what on earth is best. There are so many brands: Atomic, Salomon, Rossignol, Fischer, Head, etc. - I just feel completely lost! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome Very Happy

Worry less about the skis and more about the boots, if your progressing that quickly and if your only skiing once a year your better off renting skis as when you factor in cost of transporting them and tuning them it will not save you money nor will you be using them enough to really feel the benefit.

Boots however if fitted by a boot FITTER not salesman can transform your skiing for seasons to come. If they don't fit well, you can have a quiver of quality skis and you will still perform like a baby elephant!

Tell us where you are and I'm sure someone on here will be able to point you in the direction of a reputable fitter in your area. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to a snowdome to demo skis, go to a good bootfitter who will tell you which boots to get - seriously, at this point, don't bother researching, just take their wood on what shape fits you best.

Probably look for something billed as a 'piste-orientated all mountain' ski, 80ish mm in the middle, 15ish metre turn radius. Wood cores are good, avoid foam core. Metal tends to make skis a bit more stable at speed and more 'damp' (absorbs some of the jarring impacts rather than transmitting everything to your foot), and more capable at punching through funky snow, but generally also need a bit more input than softer skis - not necessarily a no go though. Can't be bothered to translate lbs into kg atm, but it sounds like you're not a midget, so should be able to bend a stiffer ski without too much trouble.

Be aware you won't be 'advanced' after two weeks of skiing (two full seasons, maybe). And it's pretty unlikely you were carving properly after only one week - let alone carving down a black run (which would put you firmly in the realm of 'real expert'). Unless you're some uber-talented freak of nature, anyway wink You're going about it the right way though with the lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lilywhite & clarky999: Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my questions. 170lbs = 77kg, by the way! Smile

I live in Glasgow, UK and took 4 hours of lessons at 'SnoZone' (ski basics + linking turns) before going to France for a week in 2012. Since then, I've had problems stemming from a sprained ankle and haven't been able to ski much.

Assuming the Scottish snow is good this year, it's my intention to visit Aviemore for a weekend of skiing once per month over the Winter in addition to a 7-day holiday in France, again - so I feel that it will be a good investment to purchase skis and boots rather than hiring.

In terms of shops near me: I have visited Tiso and Nevisport. I was really impressed with the service in Nevisport. The 90-flex Salomon boots that I tried seemed to be the best, but I was aware that certain shops only stock certain brands. Nevisport seemed to be stocking Atomic, Salomon and Head, whereas Tiso stocked Salomon, Fischer and Rossignol. I guess it's just a case of trying on lots of boots in both stores and seeing which ones I like best?

As for skis, I can't seem to find any upcoming demo days near me. Is it a bad idea to buy the skis online based on reviews? The Atomic Crimson TI skis seem to stand out as being a great ski. Would these be suitable for me? The 171cms are 88mm in the middle with a 16m turn radius.

clarky999: I appreciate what you say about not being advanced after 2 weeks of skiing. And you're quite right - I still feel I have lots to do in terms of carving properly. I have no problem getting lots of edge into the snow, but I really need to improve my stance and work on getting my weight further forward and getting down lower as I corner. Hopefully 3 hours per day of instruction in France will help! Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Visit a decent bootfitter. It is the only way to go. How a boot feels in the shop is not necessarily going to translate well into how much you'll like it when you're actually skiing, which is why you need to have a chat with the bootfitter who might have a better idea.

Just an FYI: skis don't get built with titanium, and certainly wouldn't have cores made of the stuff. Anyone describing a ski as having titanium is very probably wrong. Some skis have one or two thin layers of titanal, which is just an aluminium alloy with some extra marketing. It doesn't necessarily imply an uber stiff ski; my touring skis have a metal layer in them, and they've got quite a moderate flex.

I'd be inclined to look for last year's skis at discounted prices rather than something new any shiny for this season, as you can get perfectly good gear at half the price of the new equivalent which may be constructed identically... just a different colour. Those Crimson TIs new are not cheap!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I dunno how it's changed, but I'd recommend Nevisport. I was the ski tech there many moons ago and unless it's all changed, they don't employ monkeys or simple sales-droids, even the "saturday staff" get training on basic boot fitting and all are enthusiastic skiers themselves. It won't be as complete a service as a 100% dedicated boot fitter, but will certainly be a good starting point.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
theLOLkid,

Visit Ellis Brigham in Xscape! Expensive but well worth the price! Don't know if he's still there but see if you can find a gentleman named 'Tom'. Fantastic service, boots (Nordicas) from 2009 fit perfectly and have never looked back!

With regards to your skis, get your boots sorted first and when your in Ellis Brigham ask about testing their skis. They have a a pair of most pairs they stock next to their workshop and offer them for testing in the SnowFactor (Sno!Zone) and I believe if you buy a pair they refund your lift pass (don't quote me on that one though)

So yeah go have a look in Brighams!

Gartcoshyy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i'd skip atomic smokes Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy