Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie to Austria - where to start looking?

Poster: A snowHead
patricksh wrote:
Interesting thread which am following with interest. Single reason I have never been to Austria has always been because I want to be in big resort with extensive as well as good skiing, but also we have always wanted to ski in and out and definitely never want to have take the bus, kinda like OP.

Really? There's plenty of this all over Austria (slightly less of the ski in ski out, but is skiing to the village, stashing skis/boots at the lift depot, then walking for 2 mins really that much of a problem to get some of the best/most snow in Europe?).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Errrr St Anton? patricksh,

I would love to go to st Anton but OH is a bit nervous due to bad collisions which were no fault of hers and I heard sta quite steep slopes but very crowded full of bad skiers. So I don't think she would like it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, I don't have a prob with it, but OH does not want to walk with ski boots on... It is hard enough to get her to come (and I wouldn't be allowed go on my own, pls don't ask me to elaborate)

So am definitely interested in where in Austria might have ski in / out but enough skiing for me
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PS I think from my research Ischgl would fit with us best and be best for this thread OP, but I have been turned off by reports it is ott rowdy and the stink of drink off the person sitting next to you on chairlift first thing in am is enough to make anyone barf! Is that true?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
patricksh, Most resorts have hire shops at the base of the lifts - you can leave your skis and boots there overnight while you go apres in your normal shoes.

Ischgl certainly does have a lot of nightlife, but only in the main area. Few mins walk and it's much quieter. As to the 'drink stink,' no more or less than anywhere else in the Alps (ALL resorts have at least one party bar).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Woah, loads of replies today!

One thing that I am conscious of (probably the same for anyone doing the organising or research for their group) is that you end up feeling kind of responsible for everyone having a good time, so for a first trip to Austria, it has to be a good experience or else we may not be back. So Ischgl sounds ideal, though I am expecting the budget to be stretched (although I was expecting that with the original choice of Courchevel).

I saw the Crystal 'deals' and thought they looked overpriced for a B&B (nothing new, then). I'm sure we can find something, and if not, we'll go for one of the other recommended resorts. I was after a starting point, and I definitely have a few now, so thanks, and I'll be getting on to the tourist office like you've said.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
patricksh, St Anton is certainly no place for nervous skiers - a preponderance of relatively challenging terrain and more for good, confident intermediates to advanced in my experience.
Don't misunderstand Clarky's point about 'walking for 2 mins'. It really isn't necessary to walk; a little research will unearth plenty of slopeside accommodation in many Austrian villages. here in Saalbach there are dozens of such places, including one hotel which prides itself on the fact that you can actually ski directly from the piste into the hotel (Hotel Hinterhag). There are also hotels 'up the mountain' for those who want to make the first tracks in the morning.
Can't speak for the Ischgl 'barf-factor' although I'm sure that others can!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
clarky999,
Quote:

Really? There's plenty of this all over Austria (slightly less of the ski in ski out, but is skiing to the village, stashing skis/boots at the lift depot, then walking for 2 mins really that much of a problem to get some of the best/most snow in Europe?).

Spot on. I've never really understood the concept of ski in ski out. I've only skied in France twice, Val D'Isere and Les Deux Alpes and where I stayed you had to walk to the lift. Does ski in ski out mean that whatever hotel you stay in it has its own lift to whisk you up the mountain and its own private slope to take you back?

patricksh,
Quote:

but OH does not want to walk with ski boots on...

She wouldn't have too. Places to deposit skis and boots by the lift station generally. Go to Mayrhofen and next to the lift station is a ski shop where you can leave all your kit. With a bit of luck the owner may take her boots off her, he's often taken my wife's off. I don't suppose there are many Snowheads who can say they've had their boots taken off by a former World Cup downhill winner. Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corky,
Quote:

I've never really understood the concept of ski in ski out

I must agree with patricksh, that it's hard to reconcile yourself to walking to and from the lifts, after you've experienced skiing literally from and back to your doorstep, and I can understand why some people make it their number one priority. Of course this tends to be the norm in many high French resorts - the first one I personally remember was Brewskis at St Martin de Belleville and I thought it was sheer luxury after the experience of having to walk to, and queue for, the Penken cable-car at Mayrhofen. However there are many other similarly ski-convenient places, not only in the usual high purpose-built resorts like Tignes, 3 Valleys, Paradiski etc, but also in lower lying ski villages everywhere. Conversely I can recall staying in many highly inconvenient chalets, in resorts such as Val d'Isere, Les DA, St Anton and many others - you live and learn!
It really is a sweeping generalisation to say that a particular country should be avoided because of the lack of ski-in, ski-out accommodation. Just about anywhere that has pistes coming down to the village will have slope-side accommodation, as well as plenty of hotels and apartments within a stone's throw of the nearest lift or piste. It's a question of doing the research and avoiding the accommodation that involves a bus or taxi ride or a tedious yomp to get to and from the action.
IMHO (depending of course on the time of the season), it is immensely preferable to stay in a good location in a lower-lying village than one of the very high ones, so that it's downhill all the way at close of play, rather than a question of having to gain or maintain height as the afternoon progresses. It's a great feeling when you get on the last lift at 4pm(ish), knowing that you still have a long, leisurely ski ahead of you, down quiet pistes and with various watering holes and apres-ski parties on the way down, and ending right outside your accommodation (at whatever time you please). (Incidentally those LED headlights that you attach to your helmet make a great Christmas present!).
Sorry if I'm rambling!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
patricksh, Oberlech sounds like it will fit your needs. Guessing it's on a par with Courchevel with accomodation prices but cheaper than La Plagne (IME) for eating on hill etc. Would highly recommend the Hotel Montana if you have the cash
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why can't people just learn to walk in ski boots ffs?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had a look at Kuhtai or Obertauern? HochSolden, Obergurgl, and Hochgurglen are also options.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Why can't people just learn to walk in ski boots ffs

much better to learn to dance in them Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Why can't people just learn to walk in ski boots

Waste of good skiing time! Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
because I want to be in big resort with extensive as well as good skiing, but also we have always wanted to ski in and out and definitely never want to have take the bus
An old Chinese proverb says: 'He who refuses to open his mind to use of a ski bus or other transport to the slopes, misses out on some f***** incredible skiing." wink
snow conditions
Good ramble from Tat IMO. I certainly wouldn't rule out skiing somewhere I had to walk a bit and/or get a bus BUT there are circs when it is either highly desirable (young kids) or simply a strong consideration due to personal taste. My other problems with Austria I find hard to figure what is ski linked and what is bus linked, and I've found self catering accommodation to be expensive. Sure, in some cases it may be a bit nicer but for me I don't need it. Neither do I need the apres. BUT everbody's different. And I have skied in Austria and loved it. And I hope to get ski it more at some point in the future. I think the long and short is I do understand why people like ski in/ski out but equally I understand why it may not be a big factor for certain people or certain circumstances. Live and let ski. Laughing
snow conditions
Layne, You just had a narrow escape; I wrote you a rambling response, but my computer crashed and I lost it all. Luckily, years of ski-in ski-out have made me far too lazy to write it all again! Smile
snow report
Nadenoodlee,

"Why can't people just learn to walk in ski boots ffs?"

cos it wears out the bits of your boot that clip into the binding ffs

patricksh,

i agree with what the tat man, clarky, corky and their ilk are saying
embrace the difference is my view. i've done ski in/out literally from chalet door
and i've done austrian resorts with short walks, kit left at bottom lifts, getting the bus etc
give the austrian resorts a go. we did and enjoyed saalbach, westendorf, bad gastein and their
linked areas. the allround experience suits our idea of a ski holiday-it may suit yours

cheers Geoff
snow report
geoffkay, and patricksh, For the avoidance of doubt, I thought I should add that there is also plenty of ski-in ski-out accommodation in many Austrian resorts including ours. In fact most of the accommodation up and down our street and also around the top of the main village street involves no more walking than crossing the road (to the lift or from the piste) - a distance of say 10 meters!
I think the difference is that in French purpose-built resorts you don't really have to do much research because a lot of the accommodation is deliberately planned to be ski-convenient, whereas in Austria you get more of a mix, therefore you need to ask more questions.
That said, most of the walking and bussing I've had to do has been in places like Val-d'Isere, Les Gets, Serre Chevalier, Les DA and Zermatt, so perhaps the words "in original mountain villages" should be substituted for "in Austria" in the previous paragraph.
snow report
boabski wrote:
patricksh, Oberlech sounds like it will fit your needs. Guessing it's on a par with Courchevel with accomodation prices but cheaper than La Plagne (IME) for eating on hill etc. Would highly recommend the Hotel Montana if you have the cash

This ^^^^ with big shiny knobs on.

Oberlech is the dogs, and practically every hotel is ski-in-out. Not cheap but well worth the wonga IMHO. Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

"Why can't people just learn to walk in ski boots ffs?"

cos it wears out the bits of your boot that clip into the binding ffs

geoffkay, buy some Cat Tracks, then they don't wear out.
ski holidays
quinton,
Quote:

then they don't wear out

...provided the bloody things don't fall off and get lost as you're walking Smile
snow report
quinton,
thanks for the advice, but i think i'll stick to leaving the boots at the lift and mooching about in
my exit mids

Tatman's Tours
have stayed 4 or 5 minutes walk up the main road from the schattberg lift, no problems there-
fantastic resort.
i agree with your views re. traditional villages versus purpose built. i think in other words inside info is vital
to get what you require in a traditional ski area.

cheers Geoff
ski holidays
UPDATE

We had to split the group in the end to find suitable accommodation (the other half, which includes the occupant of the single room, are still looking, but I'm leaving them to it), but a half board hotel in Ischgl and flight to Friedrichshafen are now booked Very Happy

For those arguing about whether we could stay within the budget, I've committed about £750 so far and still need to sort the transfers (any help appreciated... think a big taxi for 7 might be the best option?), so not under budget, but not so far off to upset anyone. The hotel deal includes afternoon tea and cake, so large expensive lunches shouldn't be necessary.

I'm rather looking forward to it now!

Is it worth taking some Swiss francs to spend in Samnaun, or is there not much there?

Cheers for your help everyone!
snow conditions
Scarlet, Samnuan itself is not big but its worth a ski down too, its a very nice run.

Ischgl has 3 main Gondolas one in the Centre, one next to the Hotel Elisabeth, the other one I'm not sure about. The Ski down to Ischgl can get very busy and very icy in the afternoon.

Enjoy, I liked the resort as its lift system is excellant, I stayed in Galtur where Hotels were more affordable but I had a 15 minute bus ride to Ischgl but you won't have that problem!
ski holidays
Scarlet, Check your PM's. snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Good ramble from Tat IMO

Indeed. A lot of the glaring generalisations made here about France and Austria are really about a very small number of purpose built resorts in France, on the one hand, and the "typical" traditional alpine village Austrian resort on the other. There are other sorts of resorts in both.

The furthest I've ever had to walk in ski boots was in Meribel, where much of the accommodation is inconvenient (just one of the reasons to avoid that place.... Evil or Very Mad ). I've only had two holidays in Austria. One was very close to lifts, just a few minutes walk, another was a bus ride then lift up. I've also bussed in La Rosiere. I do find busses a pain, because the buses don't go every five minutes (or even every 10 minutes) so you need to organise both ends of the day, rather than just step out onto the piste. And crowded busses, especially with kids, are just the pits.

As Tatman says, you need to do your research - these days, with the internet, there is no excuse for discovering by accident that your accommodation is a 6 minute walk from a bus-stop where you can catch a bus every hour!

There are plenty of "ski in/ski out" places in France which are NOT in bleak purpose built monstrosities full of tower blocks - that's just another of the facile generalisations. And I'm sure there are plenty of places in Austria where skiing is convenient, with little or no walking in ski boots involved (my boots are a very tight fit; they are great to ski in, but purgatory for walking).
latest report
Kitzbuhel,

I'm not saying its cheaper ...but you will have a great time, and late February will have you in the middle of a very big interlinked area.

I think Kitz is a more fun town too, it dosent take it self as seriously as Stanton and Ischgl may have a few bars, but it aint a town.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I think Kitz is a more fun town too, it dosent take it self as seriously as Stanton and Ischgl

Kitz isn't as good as St Anton or Ischgl for skiing, apres, or frankly any other measure I can think of.

EDIT: Actually, the public swimming pool in Kitz might be better.
latest report
clarky999,

...and isn't there a nice Chinese restaurant there (I haven't been for about 30 years)?
snow conditions
patricksh wrote:
Interesting thread which am following with interest. Single reason I have never been to Austria has always been because I want to be in big resort with extensive as well as good skiing, but also we have always wanted to ski in and out and definitely never want to have take the bus, kinda like OP.

One of the reasons I'd always rate St Anton over Chamonix is the way that you have to screw around on buses etc in Chamonix. At least if you want to take a bus to somewhere like Lech they are well organised and punctual.

Austria knocks France into a cocked hat in my opinion. Cost, Apres Ski, lessons, lift systems and operators but above all else people who realise that Tourism is their livelihood and go out of the way to make your holiday an absolute pleasure.
ski holidays
Kitz is OK but nowhere as good as St. Anton or Ischgl.

Scarlet, Samnaum is small but duty free so sells lots of stuff cheaper than elsewhere, booze, tobacco and flashy watches but if you are staying in Ischgl anything you buy you are importing into the EU and, therefore, subject to duty laws. There are often custom officials stationed on the border and they do stop people. Don't try and ski away from them, they'll be faster than you. Razz

No need to take Swiss Francs, Euros will do.

Quote:

Ischgl has 3 main Gondolas one in the Centre, one next to the Hotel Elisabeth, the other one I'm not sure about. The Ski down to Ischgl can get very busy and very icy in the afternoon.

The third one is the Fimbabahn which is just up from the one by the Elizabeth.
snow report
Corky, I was thinking more along the lines of a cup of coffee rather than mass importing of contraband, but good to know Toofy Grin
And would it really be cheaper than buying that stuff in the UK (though bear in mind that I comment as a non-smoker, light drinker and my watch cost around £50)?
latest report
Scarlet, Laughing Well its all relative. Expensive watches are still expensive even if duty free. As you ski in on the smuggler's run, at the end there is the Smuggler's restaurant. Lovely building and good food and you can ski back to the cable car to it but you need to get your speed up as its pretty flat.
snow conditions
Quote:

As you ski in on the smuggler's run, at the end there is the Smuggler's restaurant. Lovely building and good food

+1, well worth a visit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy