Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Begginner In Need Of New Ski Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some help purchasing my 1st set of Skis, as after hours of searching online i am more confused than before. I am at a pretty basic level at the minute, but obviously looking to improve. Decided recently take the plunge and book a 1st ski holiday with another skiing friend and another who boards, so i've been doing the indoor slopes we have here at Xscape and also had a couple of visits to Cairngorm and also Glenshee last season to get a feel for it.

But im looking to purchase my own set ok skis to use over the winter here and take to Austria in Feb, looking to get something that i can use for now that i can get confidence and a feel for by the time Feb comes. Having pretty basic knowledge i have looked at several makes and models but nothing really makes much sense.

The main consideration is cost, been looking at several 2011 model skis, like of Sporten and Rossignol models for around £150 with bindings. The question is whether its worth buying something like that or save my money and rent them?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
smithy1608, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Do you have your own boots yet? If not, they are the first purchase to make. If you're going to be skiing for some weeks, might be worth buying, though don't forget to take the servicing costs into account and also, if you're flying to Austria, skis can cost quite a bit to take.

These skis would suit your level, and Decathlon gear is pretty reliable. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/pack-onebreaker-p-id_8187994.html You will grow out of them, but at that price, you'll have had your moneysworth. Don't buy boots online though - and they will cost more! They need to be properly fitted.

You'll no doubt get lots of suggestions - second hand skis are worth considering too, though beware that there's a lot of rubbish at high prices out there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
smithy1608, Can you let us know a bit more about your skiing experience so far. What sort of things can you do, where have you skied?

EDIT: Welcome to snowHead

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 7-10-12 16:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Pam, thanks for the reply! Very Happy. I dont have boots yet no, although they are looking like my 1st purchase, getting tired of wearing ill fitting hire boots each time i venture out. Also when we booked our package we were lucky enough to have ski carriage included for the flights that was a bonus.

Strangely enough been i've looking at these skis in decathlon over the last few days, couldnt overlook the fact they were so cheap. But i have a feeling based on what i've skied on before they are a bit too long for me being 172 cm, i've been skiing on 162cm skis due to height etc, not to sure what difference the length would make.

Been looking second hand also, but just not to sure about what sort of quality you would get and also like you said about sevice costs, wouldn't like to pick up second hand skis that need serviced or repaired before i get to use them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smithy1608, Your height and weight would also help Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
smithy1608, Don't purchase a pair without trying them first, they may be absolutely useless to you.

I'd recommending trying different makes and models in resort before commiting to purchasing. Any decent shop will have trial pairs. Once you find the pair for you, then either purchase them at the store (for ridiculous money), or order them online..

Also as pam w suggested, there are a lot of shops that sell second hand and reconditioned which are perfect for the 1st set of Skis (this is how I brought my X Wings, cost me about £120.. BARGAIN).

smithy1608 wrote:
Hi Pam, thanks for the reply! Very Happy. I dont have boots yet no

Were you thinking of just getting Ski's? or Boots as well?

Boots should be your first priority..

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 7-10-12 16:36; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi kevindonkleywood, thanks for the reply! Skiing expierience is pretty limited so far, have done about 4 weekends of skiing on mountain between Cairngorm and also Glenshee being based in Glasgow. Also had at least 30 hours on real snow indoor slopes that we have here as well. Ability level im still pretty basic, ski mainly blue and the occasional red if i've had my wheetabix Very Happy. I ski parrallel and link my turns, speed wise im not particulary slow down the mountain but im of a pretty average pace
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
First buy boots.

Then a helmet and thermals - watch out for Aldi's ski gear which usually appears in store in Nov.

Then get lessons.

And a good jacket and ski pants, and goggles

Rent skis until you get good enough to be able to tell the difference between models.

Then buy skis.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again for the replies Very Happy

Quinton, I already own most of Aldi's ski range lol, I managed to pick that up last season, so jacket, pants, thermals etc are covered and sports direct were good for me aswell got a helmet and goggles fairly cheap. Thinking a few lessons will definately be the next idea though, although having skied thus far with no tuition then I think I may have picked up a few bad habits that I will need to cut out!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Thinking a few lessons will definately be the next idea though, although having skied thus far with no tuition then I think I may have picked up a few bad habits that I will need to cut out!

Wow! did you just pitch up in a shop, say I'll have those skis etc, carry them to the hill and go.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, pretty much actually! First time I went along was with a few skiing friends who coaxed me in to trying it. Due to the fact I am similar height and weight as a few of them, it's was easy enough to sort my size, set up etc and then I took to the hill! Thinking back now I should have plumped for lessons, but I picked most of the basics up on the hill, well I hope so anyway lol
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smithy1608, if you live in Scotland buy some skis, halves the price of a day on the local mountains and if you buy cheap you can sell them on in a few years when you know more about which skis you enjoy skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy