Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Here's the video from yesterday:

#Asahidake from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/63996315
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MagSeven wrote:
Also, I nearly forgot! Ordinary_Skiier, how was your trip last weekend?

Well in nutshell, probably the best skiing trip I've ever had. Honestly, we couldn't have timed it better.

We met Ian M for the first time, and he introduced us to Mike Pow's method. A couple of days later Mike Pow himself introduced us to Kiroro and showed us more of the method. Brilliant day. You can see some photos from that day's Mike's own thread.

I'll probably put up a trip report with more detail a bit later when time allows, albeit these will mostly be food pics taken on my iPhone.

Sorry to hear about your friend too. Please accept my condolences...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lovely Spring day on Hokkaido Wink

Looks great.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
Sorry to hear about your friend too. Please accept my condolences...

Thanks. The snowboarder featured most in the above vid was the other guy involved in the incident on Furanodake. This was his first time in the mountains since. It was good for him to get back out. Asahidake was Toby's backyard and favourite place to ski. We thought of him alot while we were up there.

Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
You can see some photos from that day's Mike's own thread.

Just went and re-read that post, I had missed that you guys had linked up. Awesome! Glad you had a good trip!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had snow falling again last night down to sea level. Cold with drizzle now, but the freezing level can't be too high, so will be falling as snow up in the mountains. A good selection of ski areas are still open for another week or two. Trying to come up with a plan for the weekend...

Untitled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The winter that wouldn't die Smile

Based on my experiences this past couple of weeks and previous Springs, if I was still on Fantasy Island then it would be Kiroro first and second choice with Sapporo Kokusai third.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow wrote:
The winter that wouldn't die Smile

Truth! And snowing again everywhere this morning.

Untitled

I have to work Saturday morning, so won't have time to head up to the bigger mountains in Daisetsuzan. Will have to make do with a final blast at Sapporo Teine on Sunday. Although with 20cm reported today, and hopefully more coming tomorrow, it shouldn't be too bad. This photo nicked from Teine's Facebook page:

Untitled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a fun day up at Teine today. Snow wasn't anything to write home about, but not bad for mid April.

Great views first thing this morning (Nicked from Teine's Facebook!)
Untitled

It clouded over later in the day
IMG_1462

Hardly anyone was there
IMG_1467

The backcountry behind Teine
IMG_1461

A few mates went up to Asahidake. I got this photo sent to me this morning. A bit jealous, I should've gone there!
Untitled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got an email this morning from snow forecast saying there's still some on the way for the Niseko area.

BTW MagSeven, what's the tune you used in that last video you posted? I quite like it...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, raining at the moment but the freezing level should drop this evening for some snow overnight and tomorrow. I'm going to Teine for a final time tomorrow so we might get some bonus freshies! Then heading down to Kyushu the next day where it'll be in the mid/high 20s!

Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
BTW MagSeven, what's the tune you used in that last video you posted? I quite like it...

It's Trials of the Past by SBTRKT.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have fun MagSeven.

Hope you get some fresh.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm, we got fresh something. Not really snow, just slushy sleety junk. Rain at the base, so only worth a couple of hours. Fun for a bit, until we were soaked.

Toshi, at least getting a bit of riding in on his birthday
IMG_3676

Damp, misty and pretty grim.
IMG_3678

Oh well. It's Golden Week, so we've got the week off work. Still hoping to get a few (sunny, fingers crossed) days touring in May.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's been a cold May so far. Arrived back in Hokkaido yesterday to very cold drizzle. It was snowing down to sea level over in Tokachi/Obihiro area. A few ski areas including Kiroro and Sapporo Kokusai have extended their seasons for another week or so.

Of course, Sod's law means that we've got lovely cool and sunny days in the forecast through until Friday then rain at the weekend. I hope that changes. Will be gutting to sit at work all week looking at snowy mountains and blue skies only to get washed out come Saturday!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's definitely spring. Warmer weather and cherry blossoms blooming. There is still snow higher up in the mountains though and Nakayama Touge ski area is still open at weekends until next month. We went up there yesterday for a fun park session. (The sound is a bit glitchy on the video, but I can't be bothered to go back and sort it out)

Spring in Hokkaido from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/66536995

That's probably going to be it for the season for me. I'm busy for the next few weekends so its unlikely I'll get out again. It was a great day to end on. First turns were on November 11th, the last turns more than 6 months later on May 19th. 74 ski days total.

Bring on 2013/14, hopefully less than 6 months to wait!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nicely done.

Thanks for the reports.

Hopefully we can make some turns together next season.
snow conditions
Cheers.

Yeah, definitely. Hope to catch you next winter. I want to see more of Kiroro. And you need to get yourself to Teine sometime!

Have a great summer.
ski holidays
A little summer update; We went for a wander up at Kamui Ski Links at the weekend, hoping to find the binding heelpiece that ripped out of my ski in February.

Top of Chair 2 and bottom of Chair 3, looking out over the Ishikari plain. All the snow has long gone, and the vegetation is growing quickly!
Untitled

Cafe 751 at the top. Sadly closed, so we couldn't pop in for a bowl of chilli fries!
Untitled

Heading down over the backside. Behind me is a rocky drop of around 10 feet which claimed my binding. It was so overgrown with bamboo that getting down underneath the rocks was very tough, and finding my binding amongst all the vegetation was impossible. Goodbye to my hopes of salvaging it to put on a new pair of skis!
Untitled

Still a fair bit of snow up on Shokanbetsu dake.
Untitled

We went for a dip in a mountain stream after the hike. A great sunny day, mid 20s and not humid like the rest of Japan. Hokkaido summers are awesome!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy