Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes & Val d'Isere 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Martik, skied tignes the last weekend in april for the last three years , allways had fresh snow and great skiing , this year should be no exception

monotokpoint, le gentianna , next door to the alpaka is another alternative
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Does anyone know any trustfull weather/ snow forecast source?
The detailed Chamonix forecast (not a million miles away as the crow flies) is usually quite good:
http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/evening/6_days_weather_forecast.php

Snow-forecast is ok as a rough guide - but not always particularly accurate: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Tignes/6day/mid

Anyway, whichever one we use isn't looking too clever for our four ski days in Tignes starting on Friday.... Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another wall to wall sunshine day in Tignes Very Happy Very Happy It is pretty amazing how good both the piste and offpiste still are. Very few bare patches and even though the sun is out not too slushy in the late afternoon.

I spent all my morning doing laps of Palafour, & the bottom duel slalom, skiing on one ski due to a certain two 6 year olds who have suddenly decided they want to ski everywhere on 1 ski rolling eyes rolling eyes They are very good on piste and pretty handy off piste. 1 of them can also do a 180 off a jump and land it on 1 ski Puzzled Puzzled I suppose it helps when you are small and 'bounce' so well.

This afternoon i went with junior club de sport kids to Val Claret for a dual slalom race against Val D'Isere. A great afternoons racing entailed with lots of very good, very young races. Lots of prizes were awarded prior to drinks & a buffet Very Happy A very enjoyable afternoon.

Tomorrow looks like being our last sunny day for a while so looking forward to cruising the pistes before the forecast rain on friday Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like quite a bit of snow is due over the next few days

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Tignes/6day/top snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So, here I am for a sneaky four day trip before the road bike becomes the dominant form of outdoor exercise until the autumn. And what a disappointment today. Rain and slush being the dominant motifs. A few grains of wet snow on top of the Olympic bubble in the afternoon but most of the precipitation was of the liquid variety. Pistes were heavy and the steeper ones heavily mogulled. Nothing like skiing into a great pile of slush that you can't see! Oh well. Three more days. Can only get better.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well it did get better. Somewhat. Arrived at the top of the Grande Motte funicular at around 10 am. Temperature -6 (Good), lots of snow falling (Good), horizontally at about 40 miles an hour (Not so good). The cable car was closed and I decided to skedaddle back down the invisible Genepy. Visibility was restricted to one piste marker at a time. After that adventure I headed over to the Val D'Isere side where the best conditions of the day were to be found. Bimbled around the Marmottes lift and the associated runs (which were in very nice nick and even more so when the sun came out for a little while) for a bit before heading back to Tignes via Trolles, which was pretty soft all the way down. Arriving back in Le Lac I was devastated to find that the Loop Bar has already closed for the season. Maybe I won't come quite this late in the season next year!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Good to hear the conditions are still holding out Bogusman. Looks like there is decent amount of snow falling over the next couple of days too. Are there any bars open in Le Lac at the moment?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The jam bar is open and the marmot pub and I'm sure the Alpaka is open although I havent been in there.

I'm staying in Boisses and it was puking down about 8 pm. Fingers crossed for the morning.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
monotokpoint wrote:
Are there any bars open in Le Lac at the moment?

Tignes is still very much open. The only bars/restaurants i know that have closed early at are the loop & crepe a Gogo.

The resort is hosting the 'Black Shoes' event this weekend but otherwise the pistes are very quiet Very Happy

Info on Black shoes event. Sunday afternoon looks good wink http://www.tignes.net/en/agenda-events/la-black-shoes-1207.html

This morning we have fresh snow,sunshine, warm temperatures and a few clouds. Could be another great day Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 28-04-13 6:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stewart is quite right. My quick response from my iPhone yesterday evening just related to places I have personally been in. Loads of other places still open. It was pretty misty here in Boisses an hour ago but the sun has just come through. Here's hoping it stays that way!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bogusman,

Enjoy the morning it looks like it may cloud over this afternoon and snow/rain depending on the altitude.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh thats good, thought it would be a bit quite, as I arrive with my brother for the last few days skiing on Wednesday. We are staying at the Alpaka, but it's good to have a bit of variety Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stewart woodward, you spoke true. The morning was fantastic. Finally managed to get up to the Grande Motte while the cable car was open, although by 11 the light was beginning to go. Before that I went up to the Col de Palet and for about ten minutes at the top of the drag lift I stopped for a bit of faffery with my boot clips and had the whole world, complete with sunshine and blue skies, to myself. The Signal run has a bare patch about two thirds down where it gets narrow and bendy but that was one of a tiny number of places where the pistes are less than fully covered. After lunch the viz really closed in and there was rain falling on to slushy pistes in places so I called it a day at three o'clock. One more day to go this year. Hoping for blue sky and low winds in the morning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As I spent the day in both Tignes and val d'Isere. Here is my report of Sunday.

A day out in Espace Killy. The 'Never Ending Winter'.

Sunday 28 April. Sometimes webcams are very useful. Looking at the webcams of Tignes early yesterday morning I was pleased to see the sun was out above the clouds. Time to get at least one extra days skiing in before my season comes to an end.

Quickly headed up the valley and parked at Tignes Les Brevieres, up the gondola, skis on and was in Tignes Lac by 9.30am.

Decided to do a tour of 'Espace Killy' and see what was still open. By 4.30pm I was back at the car having been to all the stations of Espace Killy, managed a few off piste routes and skied on both Glaciers.

It was good to find that almost all lifts in Espace Killy were still open and the only pistes that seemed to be closed were due to avalanche risk.

The snow off piste in the morning was typical spring conditions, firm with a light covering of fresh snow and good to ski. Especially on the Pissaillas Glacier off piste area (Fornet Glacier) and the Grand Motte Glacier (Tignes Glacier). The off piste route down from the top of Toviere combining a number of different areas to La Daille and from the top of Rocher de Bellevarde to lower down the Face piste also had some good snow mixed in with avalanche debris and tricky sections which had to be crossed with care.

During the morning the sun stayed out and the wind was light. As lunch time arrived, the clouds came in and by 2pm it was snowing lightly and the visibility was poor.

The pistes everywhere early in the day were firm and fun for carving. Despite the change in the weather later in the day the skiing was still ok although it did become soft, slushy and quite heavy lower down.

For anyone thinking of coming out before the 5 May when all lifts close except the Tignes Glacier, if you are prepared for typical spring conditions then it is well worth the effort. I thoroughly enjoyed my day out.

For those interested in the route I took yesterday. Here are the details.

1) Start,Tignes Les Brevieres. Up Gondola, down the piste to Tignes Lac.
2) Up Aeroski. Down from Toviere by various off piste areas to lower down the Orange piste and arriving at la Daille.
3) Up Funival and down from just behind the Olympique Gondola on the Rocher de Bellevarde off piste to lower down the 'Face' Piste and into Val d'Isere.
4) Up the Solaise chair and down on piste to Le Laisinant.
5) Up the Laisinant chair and on piste down to Le Fornet.
6) Up the Fornet cable car and gondola to the 'Fornet Glacier' and Off piste from the top of Cascade chair to the short poma and then the 'Up and Over' chair.
7) Back down to Val d'Isere via the Ladies down hill black piste from the top of Solaise.
Up the Olympique gondola and across to Tignes Val Claret via Follie Douce and the top of Toviere.
9) Up the Grande Motte Funi and down right hand side of Laisse piste as the top of the glacier was now closed. (the visibility was now poor. The weather had closed in for the day.)
10) From the bottom of the Grande Motte Cablecar back to Val Claret on the pistes.
11) Up to the top of the Col des Ves chair then back down the piste natur to the Grattalu chair.
12) Up the Grattalu chair and across to the top of 'L'Aiguille Percee all on piste.
13) From the top of L'Aiguille Percee all the way back to Les Brevieres via the Sache piste. I had hoped to finish my trip by going down the 'Vallon de Sache' off piste valley, but the weather and snow conditions were not safe enough for that. Guess you cannot have everything.

A long, but fun days ski. In this type of weather and snow conditions it is good to have a plan when you set out and even more rewarding when you manage to complete the route. If I have the time I might make one last trip to Tignes before they close all the lifts.

The photos from Sunday will be posted as quickly as I can, but I do have quite a few to catch up with still.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_albums

Hope you have enjoyed following the route I took. It is not that difficult and can be done without the little off piste detours I took. Until next season. Hope you all have a good summer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unfourtunatly it's raining in Tignes this morning so it's time to pack & return to Blighty.

It has been a great season, which appears to be never ending, with fantastic snow, great people but a little lacking in sunshine Sad

Time to go, Sad see you all next season Very Happy

p.s only 22 weeks to go Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
stewart woodward, enjoyed the reports, have a good summer and look forward to hearing from you next season
snow report
stewart woodward, Safe journey to the golf course. I was going to post something about yesterday but I was too exhausted after reading snowcrazy,'s post. Suffice to say that like all four days of my trip, yesterday was distinctly curate's-eggish. First run down from Toviere to the Tommeuses lift was so horrible in the rain and slush that I almost packed in there and then. But then the magnetic pull of Pallafour attracted me to have one more go and I ended up having a happy hour or so around the Merles/Grattalu area. The rain stopped for a bit and the pistes were OK. Then I had to pack up and go to Geneva and home. This morning the sun is shining in South Buckinghamshire, but I don't suppose too many snowHead care about that.
ski holidays
Just back from two days at Val Thorens and two at Tignes. Had a great time overall, despite the mixed weather. Here's a quick summary, with a few Espace Killy photos below:

Fri 26th April: 3 Vallees day out. Some cloud, some drizzle, sunny in the afternoon (20C at 2000m Cool). Total slushfest at all levels but a great day on the last day of the 3Vs season. The area was very quiet with a lot of runs to ourselves. Shady runs down to La Tania (1400m) were particularly impressive for the time of year.
Sat 27th: Raining in Val Thorens on the morning. Cleared to some sun then back to a mix of rain, sleet and snow. Winter snow conditions at altitude and another very quiet day on the slopes.
Sun 28th: Bluebird morning in Espace Killy. Cloud by lunchtime then snow/rain. Excellent snow overall, despite the mild weather. Especially good at the top of Le Fornet.
Mon 29th: Peeing down in Val Claret first thing. Decided to clean the apartment and see if things improved. Went skiing at 10.15 once the rain stopped. Snow conditions were still surprisingly ok - higher runs (Grande Motte area) still had wintry cover, with lower runs of chopped-up slush where busy. Less trafficked lower runs were smoother and very good. Runs down to Les Boisses were particularly enjoyable and totally deserted. Got soaked through and some stormy chairlift rides (eg Tufs) were a bit miserable - but still a better day than we thought it would be.

All in all, a great late season trip Very Happy.

Q: Will there be snow if I go skiing in late April? A: Yes - and in May too:

Brilliant cover down to Val D'Isere - great snow on Face:

Even better conditions at altitude:

Loads of big slides on south facing off-piste slopes:

Skiing in the rain - but still great cover on Double M at Tignes :
snow report
My season was unfortunately curtailed when forced to return home from Tignes in March as was in too much pain and the old body was protesting. My first time back on the forum since then. Op due on the 20th May. If all goes well I will be put back together (literally with screws) and ready to go again by Dec 2013. If it does not work I have had my last ski. If you see me contributing in the autumn I am on the way back. Otherwise it will be too depressing to be a Snowhead!
snow report
Fingers crossed for you Mark1863 - good luck.
latest report
Op done. 3 muscles repaired. Some bone filed away. Remarkably small holes where the keyhole stuff went in. Neck to look at next. Months of physio starts.
ski holidays
Mark - here's a challenge - to get back on skis before the new aeroski opens! The old one is now gone if you check the webcams...... Cool
snow conditions
chocksaway,
Challenge accepted
Both super and infra spinatis were completely torn. The head of the bicep was nearly off. They also filed away some of the acromium arch. In a sling until sometime in July.
In about a month or two they will look at my neck problems.
Matters should be fairly clear one way or another by Sept.
It's about time the aeroski went.it only seemed to work about half the time. If its there mid Dec I fully intend to be on it.
Have a great summer fellow EKers
snow report
Mark1863, 1st pint of Mutzig's on me if you do it, at a date of your choosing in The Alpaka snowHead

The problem with the old (well middle aged for a ski lift at 26) girl was she was a prototype - all spare parts had to be made bespoke. Trusting in German efficiency (Doppelmeyer) that the replacement will be alles in ordnung by 30 Nov for the opening of the EK.
snow report
Quote:
1st pint of Mutzig's on me....in The Alpaka
I didn't know that the Alpaka sells Mutzig. IIRC, I've only ever had it in Morzine's Bar Robinson. Dare I ask how much it goes for in Tignes Shocked ?
latest report
Oh Yes! Shocked I think it was €6 or 6.50 last year - so only a € more then eurofizz. Also available at the Eterlou on Rue de la Poste
snow report
Ta for that chocksaway We're looking to book flights imminently for some July summer skiing (and mountain biking) - so would think that, of the places mentioned, at least Alpaka would be open? I've been there to watch Sky football but had never spotted the Mutzig - mind that would have made it an even dearer do after I discovered they sell the (world class) Pukka Pie for the full matchday experience. A bargain at about €5 a go....My team won so I pushed the boat out Very Happy !
latest report
It will be open although IIRC from my summer decorating last year Mutzig was only available in the winter due to reduced throughput (ie not many Brits!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Med Update:
Out of the sling now after 6 weeks. Does not move much yet. No strength in it. I am totally unfit so will start some gentle training. Neck issues still to be addressed. Possible steroid injections by end of month.

Physio is pessimistic about next season but I am more optimistic than I was a month ago. If things go badly I will just come out for the Mutzig

mountainaddict, if you see Sander or Jill at the Alpaka given them my regards.
snow report
Still off work. So nothing to do apart from this. Anyone know what the summer conditions are going to be like. As Verbier are going to open a bit for a few days presumably the Grand Motte must be in OK condition. Academic interest only
The skis I left in the Alpaka after my enforced return got back to me a few days ago. Had to sand the rust off the edges. Thankfully it was just on the surface and no real damage done. Hope to get at least another season (8 weeks skiing) out of my watea 84s.
Lets be optimistic about my chances - 5 months to go. Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:
Anyone know what the summer conditions are going to be like?
Will report back soon Mark1863 - we arrive in Tignes a week today and, weather permitting, will be aiming to ski on Sat. 20th Very Happy .

Must say, the cover on the glacier is looking fantastic for the time of year - probably due to the skiing being closed until early July.

http://www.tignesnet.com/tignes/webcams/grande-motte.html
snow report
Looks good. You lucky blighter. Very jealous
latest report
Just a quick note - if you need to renew your Pass Tignes (or if you want a new one for next year - immediate discounts etc) they are half price on line until the end of August 13
snow report
Just found this in Le Dauphine - Aeroski Nouveau is coming on very nicely (at the top anyway), the article is behind a paywall but the pic shows up:
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2013/07/25/plus-confortable-plus-jolie-et-plus-disponible-la-telecabine-de-toviere-sera-operationnelle-cet-hiver

Roll on Dec 1 - how about a snowHead flashmob thingy to ride up in the first cabins - PSBers take note!
snow conditions
mountainaddict, Wot No Report!
Latest Medical Bulletin:
Returned to work this Monday but on half hours until end of August. Can drive too. The big shoulder repair appears to be holding up. They let slip this week that the long head of the bicep (outside tendon) is "absent"! Noted during op but policy not to fix. Apparently not uncommon. Nice to let me know geting on for 3 months after the op. They had not told my physiotherapist either.
Neuropathic arm pain continues. Looks like injection in neck to temp kill the nerves before the Bank Holiday. If that works we are in business for December. Being pain free would be a real novelty.
I expect this is of no interest but somehow helps me believe there is light at the end of the tunnel
ski holidays
Latest webcams show the choppers have been busy moving in the new Aeroski - all the pylons and cable wheels are now up as is the comms wire in the centre. Bottom station taking shape nicely - looking good so far.
latest report
ooh yes it's looking good! They've done loads since I last looked.

Am I going mad or has it moved? I thought the Aeroski went up to the left of Trolles, and now it goes to the right? I assume it will still end up in the same place.
latest report
No. I think it's following the same route. Coming down from Tovieres you always looked down to the right at suicide alley. You know where everybody stops before going down the central steep part. My rule is to keep going, slip over the edge, before someone wipes you.
ski holidays
Just looked at a photo I've got of Trolles and yes it does follow the exact same route, funny how your memory plays tricks on you!!

Hopefully i will get to see the new lift next year.
ski holidays
pretty sure its just perspective as the webcam has moved fairly recently
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy