Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery - Montgenevre Transfers

Poster: A snowHead
Any recommendations for transfers?

Taxi seems to be 5-600 Euro return.

Train to Oulx seems reasonably priced, but a bit of a faf with taxis at each end.

Does anyone know of a transfer firm that do this run?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try alps2alps, we used them last year for Geneva to val disere transfer. They were quite a bit cheaper than other quotes, were there on time and the minibus was clean, modern and had free built in wifi. I know they do transfers from Chambery as well
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could try alps2alps, we used them last year for Geneva to val disere transfer. They were quite a bit cheaper than other quotes, were there on time and the minibus was clean, modern and had free built in wifi. I know they do transfers from Chambery as well
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sabreboy - you do not need to use a taxi at each end as there is a coach that meets the train at Oulx. The route is Oulx to Briancon. It also works the other way.

If you do need a taxi from Oulx to Montgenevre I would recommend taxi Garofalo (they have a website). We used them last time and they were very good. Might be worth asking them for a quote from Chambery aswell but I imagine any transfer from Chambery to Montgenevre would be quite expensive as it would be a few hours drive and include the Frejus tunnel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are transfers from Turin, which is closer than Chambery.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
braeworth, thanks, they don't seem to offer the Chambery-Montgenevre route.

snowymum, Cheers, might consider the coach, but with 2 small children in tow, minimal faf at a reasonable cost is what I'm after.

Philbo, flights from North-East/Scotland aren't as convenient to Turin (I don't fancy a 5 hour wait at Gatwick with 2 small children, other airlines are more expensive).

Thanks once again for your experiences.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are many ski resorts closer to Chambery than Montgenevre. You'll pass loads on your way up the Maurienne valley.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sabreboy, Why don't you hire a car?

Probably a lot easier than public transport and far cheaper than a private transfer
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sabreboy, my guests using Chambery airport have invariably used a hire car . If you can use Grenoble airport (Monarch are doing some flights this year from regional airports ), contact Alpine Transfer Company who are based in Briancon, as they run a regular transfer service. http://www.alpine-transfer-company.com/en/transfers/services .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is the problem. You say there is a good train to Oulx and that is just down the road from Montgenevre (17km). snowymum says you can do that on a bus, so that's sorted. Taxi all the way from Chambery airport is 150km.

However there are different airport options. You could consider a flight instead to Turin (perhaps Ryanair?). The taxi from there is also quite expensive, though, since it is nearly 100km (via Oulx but from the other side). And the public transport option is even more complex. (bus into Turin, then train to Oulx, then bus or taxi)

Grenoble airport is another option. Take the shuttle bus (quite a long way) to the train station and then there are 2 buses per day (I think) to Briancon (about 125 winding kilometres past La Grave and Serre Chevalier), which is only 12 km by bus or taxi to Montgenevre.

Personally I go to Turin.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 15-10-12 11:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skichampcouk, I'd never considered that, always assumed it would be very expensive. Turns out £350 for a week (including estimate for tolls/fuel) will get 4 or 5 of us there. Better than the £400 for the taxi.

Hells Bells, Cheers, I looked into Grenoble, but the flights from Edinburgh were £150 each more expensive.

snowball, Ryanair is only from London to Turin Sad, train is a possibility, but I can't find timetables for February 2013. Looking at the current timetables, we couldn't get back in time for our morning flight home Sad.

Convenience of car hire looking like a winner (or if anyone knows how to entertain children for 5 or 7 hours at Gatwick, let me know Wink )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sabreboy, Have a look at a car hire comparison site such as carrentals.co.uk to find the best deals for car hire. At the moment holidayautos are offering the best prices, a 5 seater people carrier is good value at 275 euros for a week.
You need to factor in the cost of winter equipment, either winter tyres or snow chains. If you are travelling down to Grenoble and then through Briancon you will probably need them.
Hells Bells will be able to advise on the journey as she travels to Serre Chevalier on a regular basis.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sabreboy wrote:
Ryanair is only from London to Turin
Oh. Where do you fly from?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sabreboy, There's a Grenoble flight from Leeds-Bradford if that's any good?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skichampcouk, from Turin, car hire is from £100 a week, Chambery £250 a week. Both plus child seats, chains, fuel + tolls (I reckon will add close to £100 to the bill).

snowball, The group live in Newcastle + Edinburgh

Hells Bells, Possibly, it's a 4 hour drive from Edinburgh, but the times aren't too bad. Car hire for £200/4-5 persons so it's a possibility depending on what the Edinburgh folks say.
ski holidays
Sabreboy - If you can't get a flight to Turin I'd have thought you may as well stick to your plan to fly to Chambery and hire a car from there.

If I were driving from Chambery to Montgenevre, I'd go through the Frejus tunnel. More expensive in terms of tolls but the road up from the motorway (nr Oulx) to Montgenevre is very straightforward.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy