Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone want a Ski Exercise Programme?

Poster: A snowHead
admin, Schuss in Boots, now now children, behave.

Yep, I'll do additional bits down the outside for beginner, intermidiate, expert, god. People just need to remember that they're not skiing levels Laughing

admin, cheers, I'll do that. Easiest way, touch wood.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bootsy, I think I'll be with you on that one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Incidentally, the best website I've ever come across for technique advice is this: www.exrx.net
Non-showy, and has a lot of useful information on it, as well as animations for the majority of the exercises I'm currently sticking in the programmes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin, yah, boo, sucks... I've just been to the gym Little Angel and without the threat of any violence either... Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The red gym of pain?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin, Yeah, it matched the whites of their eyes Toofy Grin

joe1890, I do apologise, admin will now behave and stop derailing your lovely thread. Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks very much joe1890 - i know there has been a lot of requests for specific input on here so i'm going to add to the list!! could you give me a very basic 20 min programme - i can do this x3 a week - i have an exercise bike, tummy trimmer and one of those twisty things you stand on right and left on at my disposal in the house? much appreciated - going skiing 22/12
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apologies to those waiting/wanting this; it's being written, but with a sudden explosion of work and whatnot, time has been somewhat of a precious commodity and had to be spend doing other things, like attempting to squeeze an hours sleep in somewhere.

It's more than halfway done, so keep an eye on this topic and I'll get admin to upload the docs.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
joe1890, No problem and boy, do I sympathise with that situation. wink You should be aware though, that you and admin, are being jointly held responsible for my return to my gym membership, after a.... [cough].... lengthy gap Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am looking forward to this being posted. I'm skiing over the new year and have promised myself this time I will get fit first!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SNOWHEADS WARNING: You should consult your doctor prior to commencing any exercise or training regime, especially if you have pre-existing conditons, ailments or injuries.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
joe1890, every year in every way, I AM going to exercise and get fit prior to skiing...

And every year I always, somehow, wait just a little bit too long...

Very much looking forward to seeing what you've got for us.

Over weight, over aged, and a Sky subscription costing more than the Gym membership: says it all really.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here we go guys-this is the gym workout, home workouts to follow. Most information you need should be on the spreadsheet. If it's not, PM me and I'll do my best to get back to you asap!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/stuff/Snowheads612splitEDIT.xls
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
joe1890, thank you. My brain cells will get some fitness training along the way, trying to work it all out!
latest report
That's really kind of you to do that joe1890.

Could I ask you - or anyone else - a question about heart rate please? I went to a gym yesterday for the first time in YEARS (like 7 years or something). Blimey, it's a bit depressing seeing rows and rows of people on a treadmill! Anyway, I asked one of the personal trainers there just to explain to me how to switch on and programme the crosstrainer. He showed me how to put in my age and weight etc. and where to hold on to get a pulse measurement... basically the machine kept scaring me by flashing MAX, STRESS, HIGH, DANGER, DEATH - something like that anyway!

I swtiched to the exercise bike and after a few minutes of being in the fat burning zone it also started making me think I was going to die at any second. But I wasn't particularly working that hard... what's the deal with heart rate when exercising?
ski holidays
miranda, age-adjusted maximum heart rate is 226-age for a woman, and 220-age for a man. I think a safe heart rate during exercise is about 60% of your maximum.
If you haven't been to a gym for a while, and have lost fitness due to your recent injury, you maybe need to take it more slowly, and maybe increase your cardiac fitness before concentrating on fat burning.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, thanks for that.... To be honest, I wasn't really concentrating on anything - I was just doing my physio exercises as my physio gets me to do them and noticed all the pulse business and different work out zones on these gym machines. Normal physio routine is 15 minutes on the crosstrainer to warm up and then doing various mat based exercises for quads and hamstring and then another 15 minutes or so on the stepper and then some stretching.

At home, I use the exercise bike and cycle as hard as I was in the gym for an hour without keeling over... I'd barely be breaking a sweat at 60% of of that age adjusted max heart rate... Confused Is there something seriously wrong with me???? Do you not get any symptoms if you are overdoing it? I didn't feel overworked at all but the machines were not happy with me!
ski holidays
joe1890, I hope your non-gym based programme comes with a Dummies Guide! I've downloaded the spreadsheet just to see what it is like and I'm lost already!

Hells Bells, is that the current "best advice" as I've seen lots of different ways of finding it out. I sometimes push my heart rate up into the high 140s and have occasionally gone into the low 150s then scared my self sh*tless when I check against these tables. rolling eyes Shocked
snow report
miranda, I was exercising at the maximum, under the supervision of medical staff, six weeks after my op. I think the age adjustments are pretty conservative. Also, I seem to remember that how quickly you get back to your resting rate is an important criterion when deciding how hard to push yourself.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
miranda, age-adjusted maximum heart rate is 226-age for a woman, and 220-age for a man. I think a safe heart rate during exercise is about 60% of your maximum.
If you haven't been to a gym for a while, and have lost fitness due to your recent injury, you maybe need to take it more slowly, and maybe increase your cardiac fitness before concentrating on fat burning.

On the other hand, if you're pretty fit then that max figure is too low. I train at a rate just below the age adjusted max for periods of 45 minutes.
latest report
joe1890, thank you for that work. I'll start on the translation now wink
latest report
Mosha Marc, agreed.
snow report
Have never quite trusted the machine readouts anyway, even when starting at the gym from a very unfit base last year within a couple of weeks I could happily do half an hour on the cross trainer or bikes at somewhere around the theoretical max then carry on with some other excersise straight away.
snow report
thank you - that is a relief... maybe I'm not dicing with death by going to the gym then (except being bored to death possibly Sad ).

Another stupid question.... would the fact that I'm usually at 1300m (so not crazy high altitude) when on the exercise bike and yesterday I was in a gym at sea level make any difference whatsoever? What altitude makes a difference? (this is of interest for all of us, right, and not just me?Embarassed)
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue,

I used to do all that stuff, trying to work a fat zone, not overdoing it on the stress levels, panicing when it seemed to be too high: then trained and ran a 10k in 55 mins (so not exactly olympic threatening) for which my monitor claimed an average 172bpm over the race (age 42). Oops. But that was 10 years ago, and I'm still here...
snow conditions
joe1890, Brilliant, good man - just going down to Loughborough now to enrol on their Sports Science degree course, or find a translator! wink

Only joking, will print off and get stuck in..........currently doing 2 pump classes a week, 1 x spin, 1 x ski-fit class starting next week, plus 1 x spin/ circuits and MTB at weekends and minimum 1x 5k runs so this will slot in nicely!
ski holidays
joe1890, I see that the good old USofA stats at the end have me down as bordering on obese!!

Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
miranda, the MHR stuff is incredibly conservative, and based on "sedentary" populations, i.e. people that literally don't do any sort of movement. Apart from maybe from sofa to fridge to sofa, and repeated bicep curls whilst sitting in Maccy D's. Most people running marathons, 10k's etc etc are normally working above and beyond that mythical predicted HR. People were workout out without HRM's for many years, and not that many dropped dead....

Don't worry too much. Go by the rule of if you feel faint, get woozy or have spots on your vision at certain intensities then take it back about 15%. And as I have previously mentioned, a lot (NOT ALL!) PT's really don't have a scooby. They just do a weeks course and think they're Ronnie Coleman/Mo Farah. And the altitude thing will affect you yes.. In essence, you're doing as the pro's do with altitude training (live high train low)!

Mosha Marc, yeah, they have me down there as well... but I also know I'm 10% bodyfat, so yah boo sucks to you Yanky! Don't pay too much attention to it. It's ridiculous, and takes into account nothing whatsoever on personal makeup (stocky, lean etc etc)...
snow report
joe1890, thank you - very reassuring. Certainly don't have the willpower/obsessive nature to push myself to the point of feeling faint or seeing spots!
latest report
joe1890,

Hi Joe

Thanks very mich for this. Do an intervals class and a L1 resistance class a week. Very simialr so will try and slot in an addtional freestyle session a week to your programme.

Have a couple of queries:
Why restrict the calories initally (am bang in middle of BMI)?
Start skiing in 2 weeks time (every weekend). Where should I step into the programme?
snow conditions
Don't see any sets, see reps but no set info - is all this just 'one pass' each stage?? Also where does one get a dead Romanian? I've looked, there are none on e-bay. Can we make our own?
snow conditions
Looks great, thanks very much!!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 1-11-12 13:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
joe1890, Yes, please, but with translation! And thank you in advance.

If anyone wants me to get the maths in the spreadsheet to work in Kg and cm, please post. I'll do it.
snow conditions
Just come across this and would appreciate seeing the ski specific programme for the gym... though I am not hard core. Have been doing (apart from last fortnight due to a stonker cold) bodypump once a week, a core abs class (30 mins) once or twice, gym once and swimming couple of times. Don't think it is enough though. Last year I was spinning and that really helped stamina and leg strength but I havent been able to do that since April due to a recurrence of an ear problem I have. Falling of your spinning bike because you are so dizzy is not something to be recommended and it scores highly on the embarassment factor too! Embarassed
ski holidays
oh wow, just found the link to the spreadsheet... and now feeling totally stupid... a dumbell pullover, a lateral bound .... and so on. Maybe I have done these before but I dont know what the names mean. I guess I can take it to my gym and ask them!!! I don't think I am that hard core.... Sad
snow report
There are youtubes of people doing all of these exercises.
ski holidays
purplegirl, I fell off my spin bike last week on a mountain climb, my bike shoe SPD fell apart and I fell off.......much hilarity as you can imagine. I do spin, pump, ski fit class and circuits plus running and MTB and having reviewed this plan am confident that I'm getting all the benefits I need, hi intensity training is the best there is IMO, it's worked so far I've lost 25kg since May and now fully focused on core, legs and toning upper body. Stick with it is my advice, I NEED class environment to keep my focus, am rubbish at just working out.
snow report
For anyone else who's confused by all the weird and wonderful weightlifts I've just found the Search page. This links into a library of exercises with videos and descriptions.
It might take a while, but I'll get there...
latest report
RattytheSnowRat, the sets are the rows - there's an empty box for each set so that you can record the weights for each section. If I'm programming an athlete, I'd then record total training volume for each session, as well as TTV for each mesocycle to ensure correct periodisation of the programme.

gryphea, restriction of calories intitally will allow your metabolism to slightly kickstart itself again with the introduction of some extra work. Alternatively, don't worry about it and crack on if you're happy where you are! Remember though, BMI is for most fitness professionals a load of tripe - was designed many years ago, and was based on average "ideal" readings from 16-75yr olds, and doesn't take into account anything such as bone density, muscle mass, yadayada.

If you're skiing in 2 weeks, start at the beginning - just leave out the interval/fitness stuff. The best way to get aerobically fit at skiing is to ski! The increases in strength will allow you to ski better. The more you do, the better you get.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy