Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine snow conditions in March

Poster: A snowHead
Looking like France again this year (keep investigating Austria but just can't seem to find the right thing for our group, but that's another story - St Anton parked for another year)....

My question is (this is not a troll), snow conditions, Morzine, 10th March. I understand nobody has a crystal ball, the season runs til April etc...

But I also understand many of you spend a lot of time out in the PDS, and I have never been, so looking for some very general experience and advice as to whether a week here in March is a sound decision.

That group criteria by the way, is:

Traditional village with good apres
Catered sole occupancy ski chalet within a leanish budget
Enough piste variety to keep happy everyone from complete beginner to progresser (which must be easily accessible), to expert (mainly interested in mileage), and boarders (who like parks)

My thinking is, Morzine and Les Gets excellent for beginners/progressors, Stash in Avoriaz for the boarders and we can clock some good miles round the PDS.

I have found somewhere, collected deposits and about to press go, so really I want to tap into the collective wisdom of SH to check my decision making.. snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In general, and with the caveat that you can't predict snow, you should be absolutely fine.

However, be warned that that is the last week of the Parisien school holidays. Generally to be avoided, high accomodation prices (although the chalet market is predominantly UK and Dutch) and much busier that would be normal...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've done that exact week twice in Les Gets. One year amazing snow, year later quite poor and had to get up to Avoriaz for quality stuff. We stayed in Chalet Flora which is a good sized self catering chalet and if the snow is good it's ski-in/ski-out. Can also strongly recommend LGS if you are looking for a ski school, we found them far superior to ecole 360 for our kids
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

be warned that that is the last week of the Parisien school holidays.

the following week would be much preferable, and snow should still be same (with usual caveats....)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bagginsmum, Yeah, but while it may gave been exactly the same week, it probably was minus the hordes of snotty Parisiens and their grotty enfants.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I didn't have a huge problem with the Parisiens being in resort this year - more cars but the slopes were ok, unless it was so horrific I have blanked it from my memory....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was there in March this year, in a bit of a heatwave... Snow was great though - perfect corn snow first thing, slush surfing around lunchtime, soft bump demolition towards the end of the day. Great fun!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Parisian school holidays aside, and subject to the usual caveats about unpredictability of mountain weather, early March should be fine, longer days and not too cold.

We usually ski a long weekend around then and the PdS has not disappointed. Avoriaz (new cable car from Morzine under construction, see PdS thread in "the piste") has the highest average snowfall record in France, something which I see the Sunday Times actually acknowledged in print this weekend. All we need now is for Peter Hardy in the Telegraph to take his blinkers off Very Happy

Not sure Morzine is a "traditional village" but there's plenty going on there. Les Gets is more village-y (i.e. prettier).

Go for it i doubt you will be disappointed Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been for last few yrs with large group, similar to your requirements and it's been great. Snow was amazing last year in early march, but it is hard to predict. Avoriaz is high so if morzine is bad you can go there
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sanman wrote:
All we need now is for Peter Hardy in the Telegraph to take his blinkers off Very Happy)
er, no we don't. I'm quite happy for him to direct the punters to those 'high' resorts
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was there first week in March this year (well, in Avoriaz). Snow was a bit slushy on the Sunday, but we had a dump on the Monday and it was topped up a couple more times through the week and it turned out really well. Was still very spring-like down in Morzine, but certainly wasn't bad.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice everyone - really useful.

clarky999, I have wondered this before - what is corn snow?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
leedssteve, it's a stage between the transformation of hardpack/ice to slush, perfect 'velvety' feel without being too soft, limitless edge grip. Other than powder, by far (really far) the nicest type of snow to ski on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
leedssteve, it's a stage between the transformation of hardpack/ice to slush, perfect 'velvety' feel without being too soft, limitless edge grip. Other than powder, by far (really far) the nicest type of snow to ski on.

Cheers - I will know to look out for it now Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
leedssteve, in Spring you can chase the corn around the mountain - start out on South facing slopes in the the morning, finishing on North facing (shade means the transformation will happen later in the day [obv temp dependent too]).
snow report
clarky999, But you have to gget your timing jusssttttt rightttttt.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy