Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to go - long weekend 12-16th Dec 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Looking to get 4 days skiing in from 12th Dec. Can anyone recommend a resort/hotel reasonably priced? Snow is obvious priority with short transfer preferrable to maximise ski time.

Usual search pops up Val Thoren, Chamonix, Tignes etc.

Any recommendations?

cheers. David
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you don't mind taking a car and driving a bit you could fly to Munich and try some of the higher Austrian resorts (Stubai, Ischgl, Solden, Obergurgl). Car rentals are usualy much cheaper in Germany than in France or Switzerland. I am doing 4 days ski trip a week earlier (6-9th Dec). Flying to Munich on evening 5th Dec, taking a car and driving to Ischgl (with the first night somewhere en route).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountainsun (Tignes) will do you transfers from Geneva, which will help keep costs down. Many smaller French resorts won't be open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. I've just researched resort ski lift opening times - it wasn't a great read! Majority don't open til 22nd, with a good chunk opening on 15th Dec!

I think Val Thorens or Tignes will be best bet. If not, I'll try Austrian resorts.

Anyone have any hotel recommendations in Val Thorens?

appreciated. David
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At that time of year you are definetly praying it snows, but if you book flights and leave the resort/accomodation till the last few days, you wont have an issue getting somewhere. Kitzbuhel Hahnenkamm is opening on the 1st of Dec-snow dictating- with the majority opening on the 8th/15th of December. Thats only an hour and a half drive from Munich. If its not open, then I would say the majority if not all of the other non glacier resorts will also not be open. Im in Kitz from the 14th to the 18th and Im definetly skiing somewhere.
The flights from Gatwick to Munich for your dates are still good value at £70 ish return.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rave on Snow in Saalbach 13th - 16th Dec. - http://raveonsnow.com/?&L=1

If the snow is a bit thin, then drive over to Kitzsteinhorn/Kaprun for glacier skiing during the day.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fluffymax00, you're very unlikely to have major problems with snow in Tignes at that time, and it's a good time to go, with plenty of space and not too many people. Booking less than a standard week can be difficult, except at the last minute - another reason why mountainsun is a good idea, as they do flexible times. Might already be full for those dates, though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i've just emailed mountainsun. thanks. Having said that, their website states first departure is 18 Dec
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fluffymax00, that's the main season site, it's the bootcamp you want http://www.skiandboardcamp.com/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks. i've pinged a couple of emails off.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fluffymax00, Isola 2000 will be open by then. Sounds weird to be talking about going further South for the best chance of snow but has been for last few years whilst the Tignes of the World have been relying upon their machines and glaciers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, What's it like there? I have toyed with the idea of a ski/sun trip....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, It's not the best around the region in my opinion. but its early season snow is very very good -- and if you want Sun & Ski you can rely upon March and early April to deliver fresh snow and sun.

Good Points:-
- Easy Access from airport
- Easy slope access
- Some great runs.
- Early and Late season snow
- Great for practising your 'ice' skills on south facing slopes in Feb/March

Bad Points:
- Its ugly. Think Val Thorens without the charm (they're trying to improve it but..)
- Its full of Italians and the 1970s Meribel set
- Its skiing sounds great but its not as extensive as the brochures suggest
- The sun destroys South-facing slopes earlier than further North
- The Food --- its just wrong to have Tartiflette looking at the Med

I wrote this ages ago .. mostly still valid .. although short on substance (surprise!) The Alpes Maritime Resorts. Auron is still my favourite but may open later than Isola.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre, You're really selling it Laughing but thanks, I'll look at your trip report
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think Chamonix is not fully open until the following weekend.
snow report
any reasonably priced accomodation in Tignes / Val Thorens that can be booked daily?

mountain sun/skiandboard camp is fully booked
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
Agenterre, You're really selling it Laughing but thanks, I'll look at your trip report

Toofy Grin To be fair to the place when I go, "I go skiing" as opposed to a "Going on a skiing holiday" -- I kinda know what I mean in that I have to drive home after skiing rather than relaxing ? I find it difficult to be objective but I've definitely made mistakes and spent good money to go elsewhere when the snow down here has been markedly better.
snow conditions
St Anton and Ischgl should be good to go by then, Stubai, HIntertux (inc Mayrhofen?)...
latest report
I have skiied the last 3 years in Ischgl at that time of year. The snow conditions have always been excellent. In terms of finding accomodation I've always ended up in Kappl, the next village along, as Ischgl is expensive and it's difficult to get a part week. Twice I've stayed in B&B type accomodation (there is lots) and last year we got a half board deal in a Spa hotel, which was very nice. There is a free bus from Kappl to Iscgl which takes about 10 minutes or so. Kappl also has it's own ski area, which is smaller than Ishgl but on the same lift pass and very quiet - also definitely worth a visit.
latest report
fluffymax00 wrote:
any reasonably priced accomodation in Tignes / Val Thorens that can be booked daily?

mountain sun/skiandboard camp is fully booked

Try La Toviere (La Daille) or Le Cretes Blanche in Val d'Isere perhaps. Would recommend both. Not sure if they will still be doing daily at that point but I do know that they do both at the start and end of season. Fairly reasonable prices.
latest report
In the Dolomites (Italy) you get 4 days, pay for 3 on accommodation, lift pass, ski hire and lessons with Simply Dolomiti (www.simplydolomiti.com) for that period, try that.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy