Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MERIBEL ? in April ? by Train ? .. on a budget , can it be done ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
GROUP SIZE 20 LOCATION : FRANCE DATES: APRIL 5TH TO 8th April (Thursday to monday)

Hi all , site keeps getting better !

I am arranging a short break in the first week of April 2013 for around 20 people , it is officially a stag doo but the party aren't typical brits abroad but apre ski is obviously needed to a degree.
I am also trying to allow for the option for part of the group to stay for a full week

Please help ! , I'm leaning towards meribel as I have skied the 3V before and loved it , also the group are a cocktail of experience levels from 2 lessons (in uk xcape) to expert , so 3V (i think) can provide slopes for all levels.

My plan, as it stands , is to travel via sleeper train and book hotel apartments sleeping 4 adults , all in the name of budget.I've reached a dead end with the possibility of taking the group via minibus due to no one in the uk allowing mini bus hire for Europe , and the group have stressed no coach travel.

Can anyone advise on the train travel , the suitability of location , any accomodation advice ......or a completely different idea ?

Any comments would be welcomed with open arms as my previous ski trip experience has always been a double room with my partner !

Thanks in advance for any help / advice
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jarv140101, if you booking DIY trip:
- the lowest fare you can probably find for night train direct will be about 140£ per person. It is not bad but not budget either.

- you will arrive very early and leave the resort very late at night, most likely you will not have the access to the apartment in the morning so you will have to arrange the luggage storage (which might not be easy for such big group) and ski which is brilliant but not everybody cup of cake and might be hard to organise for big group.
(after a night in the train, without access to apartment you will have to change to ski gear etc....)
Same on the way back. You might be luckier with chalets as they will allow you to store luggage easier.

- that late Val Thorens might be better option for snow and atmosphere (also they have a luggage storage in tourist office)

- for group like this TO deal will be less stressful probably

- also note that budget apartments will most likely mean 2 people sleeping in living room on sofa bad and other 2 on bunk beds in corridor Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The apartments in Mottaret (l'Hameau I think) have showers, changing and plenty of space for storing luggage in downstairs. I've used them when I went there on the train. I think they have multi room apartments that fit 5 or 6 people as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks ,

I did consider Val Thorens need to research as i dont know anything about it ....how does the night life compare to meribel ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Suggest you talk to the big Tour Operators as per TOM W's post.

They would be able to handle everything for you and you'd be surprised what you'll get price wise with such a large group particularly as you're then not stuck thinking about flight times, transfer options, etc.

Your post obviously stresses the need to control spend but I would also consider a chalet or club hotel if I were in your shoes as all meals & wine is included making the amount of spending money needed significantly less. This is where your people's idea of 'budget' will go out of the window if they are needing to fund 2/3 meals & all drinks every day in somewhere as expensive as the 3V.

Some of the TOs have all inclusive club hotels / chalets where all drink is included. Worth looking at. Also, with 20 people you'd be able to take a chalet in its entirety meaning no shared facilities with other groups.

I organised a similar trip a few years ago for 28 people and the TO was brilliant.

Good luck & happy to give more specific ideas if you PM me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks snowmonkey , i'm researching both V T and TO now
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
TO deals and chalet with food might be a cheaper option at the end of the day.
Going out for meals is expensive.
Doing DIY trip for such big group is difficult. You will not be stressed if anything goes wrong during the journey.
Night trains are great if you committed to ski as much as possible but you might find for some people in you group it will be too much hassle to ski just after or before the night train and they will have to hang around all day in the resort (so spend money in the bars Wink ).

I like access to the whole 3V from Meribel/Mottaret but in Val Thorens you will be closer to slopes, lots of nightlife, good vibe, safer snow so late in the season and if you wish you can still ski in Meribel Wink
Might be busier though. And probably less chalets deals and more apartments.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks like val thorens is fav choice
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is always somewhere to change when you arrive in the morning and when you finish skiing on the last Saturday. I have never had a hotel or chalet who couldn't offer a shower for my group of 6 to use.
For me this is the point of the train - to get 8 days of skiing for 7 nights, rather than the normal 6.
As I've said often, I prefer changing from Eurostar to French train with couchettes in Paris (Gare du Nord to Gare Austerlitz - line 5 on the Metro, or Taxi). If you go direct from Paddington you will have to sit up all the way.
The French train tickets become available at French midnight 90 days before travel and Eurostar 120 days before. There are a small number of tickets about half price but they go quickly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball, 8 days is great. I would do that any time. But I have friends for whom 6 days is enough and won't be keen skiing straight from the train.
I believe chalets and hotels would have the space, same with big apartment blocks
We ranted private apartment through Agency in Mottaret. (booked through Meribel website).
They only allowed us to leave the luggage in their little office. No way we could change there. We did this on the train Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jarv140101 wrote:
no one in the uk allowing mini bus hire for Europe

Have you tried Kendal minibus hire? I have no idea who they are, but I have seen several minibuses with their signs on, and UK plates, here in the alps... maybe worth a google
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jarv140101, the train is a tough one for a weekend trip. The direct one's only run Fri/Sat out, Saturday return afaik http://www.eurostar.com/UK/uk/leisure/destinations/direct_services/ski_train/ski_train_timetables.jsp or were you thinking of the change in Paris gig. Not that budget either as someone else mentioned.

I take it everyone is based in the South East and therefore open to all the budget airline options.

With a group of 20 it's perhaps better thinking about the logistics as you can make your own nightlife. I am tending to thinking a catered chalet or chalet hotel place would work best. DIY isn't necessarily onerous. There's really only 3 pieces to the puzzle... travel, transfer, accommodation.

For me the ingredients for a successful trip would be securing cheap flights to any of the airports close to the alps, then looking at snowsure* places within a short transfer (an hour preferably) then sorting out accomodation to match.

* snowmaking is pretty good these days in most resorts but you just want to a bit careful your not linked out in a bad spot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
First week of April isn't a problem for snow. First week of May only a few resorts (such as Val Thorens) are generally OK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found hitch hiking to ski locations is the cheapest answer ... but I think the group should split up into singles.
You'll find it easier to hitch hike to Austrian locations via Germany though.
The French are not that good at getting lifts ... unless you all wear very short skirts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy