Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Help!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Ive been one of the lucky 12 and been chosen as part of WhiteDot Skis Dots Dozen.

However I'm unsure on what bindings to pick with my skis.

Ive got a choice of the following, if you could give some advice on what to go for that would be great.

I'm purchasing some WhiteDot Preachers and im pretty new to the off-piste game so will be a mixture of piste and off that i'll be skiing while on my season.

The bindings are:

Tyrolia Peak 15

Tyrolia Peak 18

Tyrolia Adrenaline

Marker Squire

Marker Squire Schizo

Marker Griffon

Marker Griffon Schizo

Marker Jester

Marker Jester Schizo

Marker Baron

Marker Duke
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me too! Also gonna go for the preacher, I've just bought some marker squires so they'll end up on them.
What's your din is always a good start!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming your not doing any pseudo-touring, then I'd go for the Marker Jesters (in fact I just did! - I really like Rossi/look Pivots, but you can only get the super fat 130 brake version in the super heavy duty 18 version).
I have Rossi Axial2's on my Preachers just because I had some lying around, and I'm a big girl so I wanted to colour coordinate my green skis with green bindings! Whatever you put on them, they will be great.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stuarth wrote:
.....I really like Rossi/look Pivots, but you can only get the super fat 130 brake version in the super heavy duty 18 version....

stuarth, don't know if you're aware but the 130mm brake/base plate assembly is available as aftersale part & can be installed on to the Pivot 14/FKS14. Or someone might even offer the P14's with the 130mm brake fitted at an upcharge wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've got Preacher's P18s will definitely look the best, and that's what counts Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
how about the VIST free bindings with the WhiteDot covers ?? nice solid binding.... I hope Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

If you've got Preacher's P18s will definitely look the best, and that's what counts

Alans deep bath, thats exactly what i thought bindings were there for!

Also what does schizo mean on markers?

mbydmt, what size Preacher did you go for? Still not sure what to go for been told there ski short, im 5'10" also im not sure on my DIN can't remember my boot size and there at my parents at the mo so cant find out!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WASHOUT, the above bindings are the ones that WhiteDot supply discounted for the 'Dot Dozen'
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
stuarth wrote:
.....I really like Rossi/look Pivots, but you can only get the super fat 130 brake version in the super heavy duty 18 version....

stuarth, don't know if you're aware but the 130mm brake/base plate assembly is available as aftersale part & can be installed on to the Pivot 14/FKS14. Or someone might even offer the P14's with the 130mm brake fitted at an upcharge wink

Yep, I think it was you who told me wink
I got some more 140XXLs for some new skis at a very competitive price - almost cheap enough that I thought about getting 2 pairs + the new heelpeice, but that was quite a lot just for that, so since I also got a super competitive price for the Jesters with the 132 brake I went for that.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 4-10-12 22:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
my mistake. My old bindings were the marker griffon and i never had any problems, but there was a few threads on here that people did. I dont think you have to purchase bindings as well in the 'dot dozen' pre season sale. It may be worth considering installing quiver killer inserts if you plan to own a few pair of ski's Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 4-10-12 22:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="philmill05"]
Quote:

Also what does schizo mean on markers?

It means you can move them back and forward a bit to suit your mood
I'm guessing this makes them heavier and have a larger stand-off height so I'm not sure I'd go for them.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 4-10-12 22:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
WASHOUT wrote:
It may be worth considering installing quiver killer inserts if you plan to own a few pair of ski's Very Happy

or alternatively just own more bindings too wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Schizo means 60mm movement on rails, change the position you're skiing in to suit what you're up to.

Think i'm going to go for 179cm ones, 5ft 11" in height. You don't have to purchase bindings from the dozen offer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More people grumble about Markers than do about Tyrolias when it comes to alpine bindings. I haven't used either enough to have any feelings either way, however. If you're going for the Markers, choose the Griffins over the Squires unless you're a tiny delicate little flower, and the non-Schizos over the Schizos unless you really like fiddling with your gear. Probably more useful if you were going to spend time in the park, I reckon, but I wouldn't get something like the Preachers to go and play on rails with!

If you were going to do some touring, you'd be better off getting Barons or Dukes over the Adrenaline, unless you fancied being an early adopter guineapig.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
But I think more people grumble about falling out of Tyrolias than Markers.
I have some Dukes on some skis but don't use them all that much, so this year is a Marker experiment year - I am going to experiment to figure out if they are easier to get off when dangling upside down from a tree than Look Pivots wink
latest report
stuarth wrote:
But I think more people grumble about falling out of Tyrolias than Markers.

Only the lower release values ones, far as I've read. The cheaper Tyrolias, and the lighter ones with funny toe releases have raised the odd complaint. The Peak 15 and 18 (especially in their incarnation as Head Mojos) don't get a whole lot of bad press that I can see; they're quite a different offering.
latest report
Squire will be the lightest and probably not the best for 112mm wide skis, Jester will be strongest/heaviest, Grifffon in the middle. Schizo version lets you move binding a bit which can be helpful in finding sweet spot on the skis. Duke/Baron are touring bindings. Duke heavier and stronger than Baron. Get Pivots if you can find them, no problem putting your skis back on in powder.
snow conditions
Forget Schizo, find a shop that will seel you the demo binding of the same model.
snow conditions
philmill05, Dukes, bombproof and rock solid IME. Bit heavy but at the end of the day unless you are doing serious touring they are #1 in my view. Look at Sport Conrad, they had some summer close outs at €200 a pair, I bought a second pair am so pleased with my current ones. Have them on my WD Redeemers and Mantras, see Spyderjon for Quiver Killers too and get the job done reet!
snow report
philmill05, Where do you live Phil? I know a ski-shop just got a great deal on Marker Dukes/Jesters.
snow report
Cheapest??
snow conditions
I think VIST are the recommended binding for WhiteDot i.e. they build their skis with half an eye on the VIST format - I'd chat with/PM doc and see what he says. That's not to say that you have to go with them but I'm always tempted to follow the manufactuers lead unless I have a specifc reason not to just because I assume they know better then me (and if not WTF am I buying from them????).
latest report
Oh, and a word of warning on QuiverKillers. Great tho' they are - you need to be careful about the length of screw or bolt used. This is more a problem on some bindings rather than others and the issue arises because the total depth for 'bottom out' for the insert and 'lock up' on the binding mounting hole can differ from binding to binding. You've got to go for a screw size that avoids 'bottoming out' in the insert BUT which gives you sufficient depth so that 'lock up' point is reached i.e (length of the screw thread) cannot be greater than (depth of the insert + the depth of the binding mounting hole). This can be an issue since some standard thread lengths can be either too short or too long. Since you should not use a screw with a thread that's too long there's a temptation to use the next shortest standard screw length which may mean that you are relying on four turns of the screw, locktite and prayer. This too should be avoided.

If you have to, grind longer screws to the appropriate length rather than go for either of the options above. This is not aimed at Jon who knows all this but at anyone who is thinking of DIY. If in doubt, go to Jon.
snow report
Quote:

go to Jon

+1
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
I think VIST are the recommended binding for WhiteDot i.e. they build their skis with half an eye on the VIST format - I'd chat with/PM doc and see what he says. That's not to say that you have to go with them but I'm always tempted to follow the manufactuers lead unless I have a specifc reason not to just because I assume they know better then me (and if not WTF am I buying from them????).

My current clutch of Whitedots work just fine with Rossi/Look bindings snowHead
(Except the XXL brake isn't quite wide enough for the Redeemer even with a bit of bending - Rossi now fixed this with the new 130 brake)
ski holidays
stuarth, Can get 132mm wide brakes too for Marker, got them for my Dukes/ Redeemers.
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
stuarth, Can get 132mm wide brakes too for Marker, got them for my Dukes/ Redeemers.

yes, see above as to why I just got some Marker Jesters Smile
ski holidays
stuarth,

Not arguing, I ski Redeemers + VIST (nice super wide brake) and they work well too (but I tend to ski them really 'easy'). Subject to the compositon of the core/potential mounting points there's no real reason that any appropriate binding should not be used, its just taste. However, I'd be leery of using a binding on a ski which came with pre-determined binding mount points if those points were not designed for that binding ....

Out of interest has anyone gone old school, ditched the brake and anchored the skis to their leg with flex cables recently?? If I was going further off piste than I do, I would be well tempted to do that after having seen the plethora of lost skis last year (last season I helped one poor bloke locate a ski that had gone over 20 m downhill under the snow after seeing him search for about two hours. He had excavated a fair chunk of the slope by then and was just about to get jumped by a load of disgruntled snowboarders who kept falling over his spoil!).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
... and you could add the Marker Jester Pro to the list at the top.
latest report
skimastaaah, im living between birmingham and manchester at the moment. Where is the shop?
snow conditions
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
... and you could add the Marker Jester Pro to the list at the top.

I did ponder that too, since I tend towards the keep the ski on philosophy (though I probably shouldn't anymore!) - however I think they fall into the same category as the FKS180s that really for me since I've never even managed to break a 140 toepeice, I don't need the extra weight and the extra retention and less release options probably isn't a good thing (does the Jester pro have all the same release directions as the non-pro version?)
snow report
It's just outside Leeds................ prolly too far to go for a mounting!
snow report
yeah just a bit, if i'd known 3months ago i would have been there for uni. Whats the shop called? Do they not have a website?
latest report
stuarth,

ah, but you get a little scrapey bar to scrape snow off your boots - worth every extra penny. And yes, I believe it does have the triaxial release.

Quote:

since I tend towards the keep the ski on philosophy

I work on the 'if it wants to come off that badly, who am I to stand in it's way' philospohy - which is why Jon is providing some nice gentlemen in London with some more QuiverKillers so I can get a pair of KneeBindings fitted to a number of skis. On your philosophy you should proably go for the 'lash it to the leg' approach I was describing above.
snow report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
stuarth,

ah, but you get a little scrapey bar to scrape snow off your boots - worth every extra penny.

Good point Happy
latest report
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
stuarth,
I work on the 'if it wants to come off that badly, who am I to stand in it's way' philospohy - which is why Jon is providing some nice gentlemen in London with some more QuiverKillers so I can get a pair of KneeBindings fitted to a number of skis. On your philosophy you should proably go for the 'lash it to the leg' approach I was describing above.

But if the ski falling off means you falling off/into something, then it is a bad thing. Madeye-Smiley
Thats why I like Pivots - can set the DIN relatively low, and they only fall off when they need to.
latest report
philmill05 wrote:
yeah just a bit, if i'd known 3months ago i would have been there for uni. Whats the shop called? Do they not have a website?
Yup ............. Glide and Slide at Otley. ............ Give them a call as I don't think the Marker bindings are up on the website. They have Duke, Jester, Schizo, and even the new Scott touring kit (prolly NOT on a deal).

BTW........... Leeds Uni??? ............ Got my First degree from there! Got a lovely shot of me in gown/cape on the Parkinson Building steps. I lived for a year or so on Kelso Road. Original Oak as well.... 3 shoes.... Brahms and Liszt.... The Gaity..... Brians Fish shop. snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah just graduate with a degree in mechanical engineering, spent alot of time in Whitelocks on Briggate in my final year, great little pub if your back up there.

Will have a look on their site and see what they've got going
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy