Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
philipb, The bad new is that Subaru have used quite an expensive tyre size on the Forester - sorry! As I've said previously I would never recommend budget winter and in this size if you go up in price slightly (about £10 a corner) you can move into mid-range territory. There are a few products here that would be worth considering; Firestone, Fulda, Kleber, Hankook & Uniroyal - these guys all make tyres in this size which would do the job perfectly well.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tyremen wrote:
Hells Bells, no you were quite right, the HP Sport would not be suitable for driving in the Alps. Maybe give good old E-Bay a go, the second hand market seems pretty strong these days so you should get something for them.

THank you, I am pleased I was justified in buying a whole new set. The two Bridgestone's were on the car for just over 3 weeks, so perhaps 500 miles or so.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tyremen, could you maybe shed some light on a question? I was recently recommended Continental Crosscontact Winter for my new Audi A6 Allroad. Previously, I had Continental Contiwinter Contact TS 830 P (or 810, can't remember) for a BMW 5 series with xDrive and was quite happy with them.

The Crosscontacts are recommended for 4x4 / SUVs while the Contact TS 830P are aimed at performance cars. The Allroad is somewhere in between (nearly 2 tons, but a sprightly engine), what do you think would be best?

I live in Belgium and drive to the Alps 4-5 times a season.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tyremen, Thank you, I'll take a look at those brands on your site. Any news on a possible Snowheads discount!?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philipb, Many of the brands I suggested are not on our site - as I originally said I don't want to come across as a salesman, just trying to advise. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
horizon, It depends on the size really! Generally the manufacturers make either one product of the other. If you let me know what size you have been looking at I'll happily advise which is the right one to go for on your AllRoad.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tyremen wrote:
Boris, we have many people that do this with no ill effects. In fact the tyre manufacturers themselves are now saying that if you are going to use 1 type of tyre year round then you are best using a winter tyre as opposed to a summer tyre. The logic is that the trade off is less:
winter tyres - great in the winter, not too bad in the summer either
summer tyres - shocking in the winter, great in the summer.
I can see where they are coming from!
You just need to make sure you have a decent product to start with, I certainly wouldn't want to run budget winters year round, but certain tyres will work particularly well without running off quickly. Just best to opt for a pattern that isn't too aggressive.

Thanks. Run Continetal wintercontact which I think Continwntal say can be left on year round
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just changed all four tires on my wife's car - 200 euros with balancing and fitting, that's made a big hole in the wallet! Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, try paying nearer that per tyre... Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof, if only. The 4 tyres for mine last winter were nearer £600, and that was the cheapest quote.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tyremen wrote:
horizon, It depends on the size really! Generally the manufacturers make either one product of the other. If you let me know what size you have been looking at I'll happily advise which is the right one to go for on your AllRoad.

235 /55/ R18. Thanks!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hells Bells wrote:
davidof, if only. The 4 tyres for mine last winter were nearer £600, and that was the cheapest quote.

Snap
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tyremen have a quote facility on their website to give you a list price to haggle from wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got 'lowest possible price' from Norauto winter tyres on my Scenic, which I've been running all summer because I couldn't be arsed changing them. I also have some chains in my boot which I've never used, never practiced with, and cannot get my head round whatsoever. If I ever actually need them, I'm probably screwed. All the times I've been driving and seen people coming towards me wearing chains, and people on my side of the road chaining up in layby's, I've always just though 'yeah whatever, I reckon I'll be fine', and carried on without. So my 60 quid per corner budget boots are presumably not too bad.

Nevertheless, this was thread was an unexpectedly interesting read. Nice going, tyreman!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr Piehole, Hmmm, but you drive a "Scenic"... Nuff said!
snow report
horizon, sorry not wanting to doubt you but could you double check that size, as I don't see that size being listed for an All Road, sounds too big? Phill.
snow report
Hi.... Bit of a newbie to all this, sorry for such a open and general question/scenario but here goes....
I am driving out to the French alps (Alpe D'Huez) in November til next September from Southamption in my 2003 VW Bora, I would just like some advice...
Is it best to go on winter tyres? Buy some and swap them out there? Or summer tyres and use chains while I'm out there? I have read so many different things its hard to know what to do... Please help.
ski holidays
Chrisgelfs, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead
There have been one or two threads on Snowheads on the subject of winter tyres wink , here's a typical example http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=80014&highlight=winter+tyres

You'll find that many people on here are firm believers in the benefits of winter tyres (not only for use when driving to Alpine ski resorts, but also throughout the winter in the UK). You may recall about 2 or 3 years ago we had a very cold period with snow on the roads for a week or more, causing a huge amount of disruption. I had just fitted my first ever set of winter tyres a few days before the snow arrived, and the difference in grip was amazing. I was able to get about in conditions I just wouldn't have been able to on summer tyres. I felt like Mr. Smug in smugland.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Chrisgelfs, absolutely worth it, and if you can, do it before you drive down, that road up to ADH can be pretty hairy in heavy snow, and it's not unkown for the autoroutes to be affected.
snow report
Cheers guys
How about using the winter tyres over the summer? As I will be there til September, I have heard and read about their grip detoriating in temperatures above 7-10 °c. Does any know if it is better to get the tyres here (Southampton) or somewhere in France before reaching ADH? : )
ski holidays
Also.... Any companies worth looking at? Same as chains (which is a must) but where's the best place to get them from? Thanks
snow report
tyremen, Great tyres!!! Hankook Icebear W300's now fitted!! Great price and service. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Chrisgelfs, I've always got chains through the Roofbox company, but they are easy enough to pick up closer to resort if necessary.
snow report
tyremen,

Hi there. What do you think of Kumho Solus Vier KH21, they are all weather tyres. I had a set on my old volvo and they seemed a lot better than sumer tyres on cold icy roads.

Would they be reasonable 'all season' tyre for my Citroen C4 GP for occasional trips to the alps backed up with snow chains??

Brian
snow report
Chrisgelfs, you can get some very cheap chains in French supermarkets but they might be a bit flimsy, and they're harder to put on than more expensive ones. The problem with getting snowtyres en route is that you will need to accommodate 4 dirty great tyres in your car for the rest of the trip!

Tyremen have Vredestein snowtrac tyres for my car for £60 each - I'm in France for another couple of days but when I get home will measure the tread; I think my older 2 winter tyres, whilst still very much legal, are probably sufficiently worn to warrant buying two new ones, especially at that price! They're great tyres but there were still a couple of occasions when I put chains on, last winter - because there was so much snow that when the ploughs had only cleared part of the road, first thing, I had to drive off into the really deep stuff when anything big came down the road, as I was going up (I don't argue with ski buses and snowploughs!). I can usually slide back down onto the cleared area, backwards, when that happens but when the snow was really deep I just sat there, going nowhere!

Some years, of course, there's little snow, it doesn't fall when one has to be out on the road, and the chains stay in their bag. I'd never be without them though (not got 4WD).
ski holidays
I'll have a set of these please:

http://youtube.com/v/vBa5ESz7J7E
snow report
I bought some Toyo H09's van tyres (and put them on some second hand steels) the other year they have been fantastic, happily driving up UK hills that others couldn't even in ( i assume summer tyred) 4x4's (i have a old rear drive estima automatic) but would they be allowed in France? (just M+S not snowflaked). Or do i need to buy more "proper" snow tyres? (and another set of steels)

I notice that actually very few winter tyres have load rating of over 96 in 'standard' old van sizes (185/80/14) which is an issue...

edit:
found this list of places and requirements...
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

Appears M+S tyres will be ok in france..clearly i would prefer 'proper' snow tyres but chains, two lengths of carpet, spade and hoe 'should' get me out of most stuff...

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 16-10-12 10:07; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
tyremen wrote:
horizon, sorry not wanting to doubt you but could you double check that size, as I don't see that size being listed for an All Road, sounds too big? Phill.

I keep forgetting to look at my actual tyres, but that's what it says in the offer I received and that's what I have also found on the net:
http://www.automobile-catalog.com/tire/2012/1588955/audi_a6_allroad_quattro_3_0_tdi_245_s-tronic.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi horizon, hmmm we haven't seen any tech info for a new All Road 2011/12> so if a new version has been released then maybe it has come on this size tyre. I can't say that I'mm 100% confident the the site link you sent is right, but it is possible. Assuming it is then there are a choice of either 4x4 winter (CROSSCONTACT WINTER) or car/performance winter (TS 830 P Audi fitment). You do sometimes get this crossover, for yours I would definitely go for the TS830P as it's a proved quality tyre and Audi approved - happy days!
ski holidays
emwmarine, not a product that we have had a great deal of experience with I'm afraid. In standard summer tyres Kuhmo are a premium budget manufacturer and I would imagine that their all-season are 'fine'. If you already have them then they will be fine for the scenario you describe. If you haven't invested in these as yet then there are far better options, Vredestein & Hankook are the best in the all-season business.
ski holidays
Leakyideas, I think the aa have it wrong there! It's the snowflake/mountain symbol which denotes a winter tyre, not m&s!
snow conditions
tyremen, so back to my first post on the subject, have Bridgestone got it wrong? M&S might not denote a winter tyre as such, but they insist they comply with winter tyre rules in europe....
snow report
tyremen wrote:
Leakyideas, I think the aa have it wrong there! It's the snowflake/mountain symbol which denotes a winter tyre, not m&s!

yeh i think they are saying that either winter tyres OR all weather tyres are ok in Austria.. but that France actually doesn't require winter tyres or all weathers..which i thought it did..time to look elsewhere...

From what i can tell in France that in some places you don't have to fit snow chains if the driving axle has winter tyres or spiked tyres on.
and in other roads you still need to fit snow chains no matter what you have on, but you don't 'NEED' snow flake marked tyres in france.

But i think the main thing is that in the event of an accident then if your car isn't 'properly equiped' then you are going to get stiffed no matter who's fault it is...esp if the other vehicle is local. Which may cost vastly more than a new set o tyres...if you can get them Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I think they have! All the information that we have seen is very clear that when driving in places where winter tyres are mandated then m&s is not sufficient, you need the mountain/snowflake marking. If Bridgestone's tyre is an exception to the rule then it's the first time we have come across this and I do doubt what they are saying. Sorry.. Phill.
ski holidays
Tyres marked with just "M+S" are legal in Germany in wintry conditions:
http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/london/en/04/Transport/Winter__Tyres.html

And also in Austria between 1 November and 15 April:
http://www.bmvit.gv.at/en/verkehr/roads/safety/tyres.html
snow report
However it's funny that both of the example pictures that the German embassy use have the mountain/snowflake symbol. I think it's fair to say that the whole legality has some grey areas. The mountain/snowflake marking denotes a winter tyre and when I drive to the Alps that is what I'll be using! Phill. Very Happy
ski holidays
Thinking of picking up a hire car in Grenoble to push on up to Briancon. Will they have winter tyres/chains as part of the standard deal or should I assume the worst?
ski holidays
Not had a renter from here but it is not law for a French hire car to have winter tyres and chains (unlike Switzerland) so I suspect you will be need to pay for at least chains - depending on the company/broker charges it may be worth buying some on the way - a set for an Audi A3 just cost me E55 to give you an idea.
snow report
tyremen, I suspect its down to a poorly paid embassy functionary note doing his full due diligence and then any remaining detail getting lost in translation!
snow conditions
altis, thanks, I'm happy with that and the info direct from Bridgestone. No disrepect intended to tyremen but I'll go with official advice

tyremen, my bridgestone M&S tyres have the mountain symbol but not the snowflake. The german embassy shows pictures of both symbols becuase they say you can use "and/or" so they are showing what each looks like.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy