Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello! we know about winter tyres...

Poster: A snowHead
Having had a quote via snowHeads from Tyremen, I was a little surprised when there was no extra snowHeads discount. However after getting a lot more quotes Tyremen really are the cheapest!
So have ordered 4 tyres from them today, we shall see how we go from here.

BTB, went into to a Halfords Autocentre as I was passing and the guy at the desk, he had to get the Manager as he didn't know anything about winter tyres - apparently they sold one set last year!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still after a quote for 4 215/55/16 winters for audi a4 2.4.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apart from extra wear and a bit more noise is there any hassle with just leaving winter tyres on a car all year ?

ie on hot tarmac will they stop ok
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jake43, we kept out last lot on our car as we needed new summer tyres and planned on changing the car. We ended up keeping it for another winter, so in fact had the tyres on all summer. Stopped fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, I have done it in the past too and found the wear not much more than "normal" tyres. But that was when a set of tyres only lasted a year with the miles I did. Now with much less driving it is many years on a set and I think I will just put winters on and leave them. The ones it came with are getting worn now so time to change coming.

Put a set on Daughters car 2 years ago and they have lasted well too. So I wondered what was the point of changing over at all.

They may even actually stop better in the wet than "Summer" tyres
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

They may even actually stop better in the wet than "Summer" tyres    

Especially a typical UK summer. Have run winters on current and previous Audi year round.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Jake43, I left my winters on over the summer as I was in Bali for July and August and didn't any paying €50 to swap them in May and again in October.

Zero problems with performance, and haven't noticeably worn down much - and that includes driving in 'Austria hot't temperatures, which is quite a bit hotter than the UK!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, how do the Austrians cope with swapping TPMS wheels?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Makes me laugh, half the people on SH can feel how a different wax changes how their skis feel, yet no one can feel the difference with winter/summer tyres. If nothing the typically higher side wall is a big factor in behavior, then the grip on dry roads over 7 centigrade is very different. Are we the driving equivalent of newbies on their first green run?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@blahblahblah, I very clearly felt the difference between my last snow tyre and the ones I have just binned. A world of difference, even why driving sensibly.

The difference of course is that on public roads you should pretty never be near the limits of the systems' performance (tyres/car/driver) whereas on snow one often finds oneself at that edge of the envelope.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blahblahblah wrote:
......no one can feel the difference with winter/summer tyres. If nothing the typically higher side wall is a big factor in behavior, then the grip on dry roads over 7 centigrade is very different.

I don't remember anyone saying they couldn't tell the difference between Summer & Winter tyres. I have certainly noticed a big difference in the weight of the steering and the turn-in on fast (ish) corners (both due to the taller profile and narrower tread of my winter tyres). I'm sure I'm not the only one who can tell the difference very easily.
However, during 'normal' driving (ie not on-the-limit), the performance of decent Winter tyres is entirely acceptable - even in conditions to which they are not ideally suited.

There is undoubtedly some loss of performance at the extremes but, as @under a new name says, you shouldn't generally be driving on the road at the extremes of a tyre's performance

Edit: I wouldn't mind betting that a decent Winter tyre will still out-perform the nasty Chinese 'Summer' tyres a lot of people use - even on the hottest, driest day of the year and under ANY driving conditions - including an emergency stop.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 21-10-15 13:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, Good,I disagree to an extent, emergency stops etc

The performance of winter tyres on breaking, accelerating and cornering is quite marked even low down the performance level.

I also agree that snow tyres in snow are amazing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin wrote:
Having had a quote via snowHeads from Tyremen, I was a little surprised when there was no extra snowHeads discount. However after getting a lot more quotes Tyremen really are the cheapest!
So have ordered 4 tyres from them today, we shall see how we go from here.

BTB, went into to a Halfords Autocentre as I was passing and the guy at the desk, he had to get the Manager as he didn't know anything about winter tyres - apparently they sold one set last year!

I spent ages trekking round to various tyre centres who wanted to charge me £80 each for the TPMS valves in addition to £100 per tyre (with a limited choice of brands).
I also spoke at length to the local Mini dealers whose 'tyre & wheel' packages were both very expensive and very limited - eg. they would only sell me a 175/15 (too skinny) or a 195/16 in a runflat (which I definitely didn't want).
All very frustrating!

Then I contacted Chris @ Tyremen via this thread and only this morning, I took delivery of my lovely new alloys, pre-shod (is that a word?) with Goodyear UG9's and TPMS valves. Cool Cool
It's no surprise that Tyremen were roughly £500 cheaper than Mini's offering - and I got the tyres I actually wanted!

Very pleased - so far! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@blahblahblah, what I mean was that the difference in performance between my previous winter tyres and the winter tyres I've just binned was amazing. In the wrong direction, annoyingly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@blahblahblah, what I mean was that the difference in performance between my previous winter tyres and the winter tyres I've just binned was amazing. In the wrong direction, annoyingly.

That's worry. Just out of interest, what were the two sets?
snow conditions
altis wrote:
@clarky999, how do the Austrians cope with swapping TPMS wheels?

Sorry, I've no idea.
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
Makes me laugh, half the people on SH can feel how a different wax changes how their skis feel, yet no one can feel the difference with winter/summer tyres. If nothing the typically higher side wall is a big factor in behavior, then the grip on dry roads over 7 centigrade is very different. Are we the driving equivalent of newbies on their first green run?

FWIW it'll be two years in December since I've serviced any of skis too wink
snow conditions
@Red Leon, yeah, I was pretty surprised.

Original set on 2006 Nissan Murano mk.1 (EU Spec), Dunlop Grandtrek SJ6 (?), 225/65/18

Just binned 2010 Nissan Murano mk.2 (EU Spec), Bridgestone LM-25, 235 /65/18^

The Dunlops basically felt as though I was driving on a non-snowy road, pretty much no matter how much snow I found. I was quite secure driving briskly on quiet autoroutes in heavy snow. They let go only once braking a little too sharply while turning on a very steep hill in difficult snow-on-ice conditions. Couldn't fault them (although they were noisier).

The Bridgestones were given their first proper outing December 2010 in heavy snow that almost paralyzed Switzerland (it took over 8 hours to get from Geneva to Zurich) and I didn't feel happy above 30kph on the motorway. They never gave me confidence just really didn't work for me at all. The car had changed to be honest but I understand it was mostly cosmetic and the tyres were a slightly different size. But still...
ski holidays
@under a new name,

Thanks - I just thought it might be useful know which tyres were good and which less so.

I've never heard of the Dunlops (probably because they appear to be van / SUV-specific) and I've read less-than-inspiring reports about the Bridgestones.
I'm unlikely to use either, TBH but thanks, anyway Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hi there. Hope you can help.
I have a spare set of wheels for my Toyota MPV with Pirelli Winter 210 Snowsport tyres on 205/65 R15 rims.
I swap over to these around this time each year from the summer tyres and need to replace one of the tyres which has got a dodgy bulge in the sidewall. My local tyre fitter doesn't have any available at the moment but also said these tyres may have been discontinued (originall purchased in 2005 with at least one replaced around 5 years ago) and it would be necessary to find a different tyre with a similar tread pattern. Any suggestions? Thanks in anticipation.
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:
Then I contacted Chris @ Tyremen via this thread and only this morning, I took delivery of my lovely new alloys, pre-shod (is that a word?) with Goodyear UG9's and TPMS valves.
Sounds like good service. Are the TPMS valves correctly coded to your car, or do you need to take them in to a local dealer to get them paired?
ski holidays
Ok I will jump in here.

Looking for a et of 235/65/70 winters.

Dont need to be top line, but a name I have heard of would be good.

Could you get me some prices please.

Thanks
ski holidays
@Philip1972, @ansta1, Check the price on http://www.tyremen.co.uk/
I guess Chris is a bit busy getting my delivery out wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Red Leon, bought Vredstein Wintraks last time, better than any others we've had.
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
@under a new name, Good,I disagree to an extent, emergency stops etc

The performance of winter tyres on breaking, accelerating and cornering is quite marked even low down the performance level.

I also agree that snow tyres in snow are amazing.

Winter tyres I put on original alloys are not so different size wise. I don't need to go round corners fast, or lay rubber down and probably prefer a deeper side wall for more gentle ride. So what makes you think the performance is marked - have you tried them during summer?

But I do want to stop. I have done it before and personally not noticed any difference so just wondered if there was actually tech data.

Also got Vredstein Wintraks
latest report
@tyremen, Can you supply these, and if so what is the price please? http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate?fromTyreSelector=true&brand=nissan&selectorMode=byCar&model=juke&range=juke&engine=1.6%20l%2094&year=2010&zp=false&fromTyreSegment=1&carId=4W179753&dimensionId=crossclimate-22742-465138-261869&originalFitment=205-60-16-92-H
ski holidays
Most of Tyremens prices can be found on his website

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 21-10-15 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
@Philip1972, @ansta1, Check the price on http://www.tyremen.co.uk/
I guess Chris is a bit busy getting my delivery out wink Toofy Grin

Thanks, but usually he is cheaper than my local but not with the prices on the website, and options i have are not shown.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
Most of Tyremens prices can be found on his website

I guess not then.
snow report
What is the truth about "All Season" tyres?

My next car can be ordered with either Summer or All-Season.
There may only be the slightest chance that I'll ever drive it to the alps in the winter.

I've always thought the way was to use steel wheels with a set of noisy Vederstiens or Nokias,
but steel wheels are a bit hard to come by for modern cars.

Will these All Seasons be the answer or a poor compromise?
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
What is the truth about "All Season" tyres?

My next car can be ordered with either Summer or All-Season.
There may only be the slightest chance that I'll ever drive it to the alps in the winter.

I've always thought the way was to use steel wheels with a set of noisy Vederstiens or Nokias,
but steel wheels are a bit hard to come by for modern cars.

Will these All Seasons be the answer or a poor compromise?

Compromise. Do you wear the same shoes in summer and winter? Try runing in summer shoes, change directio and try stopping when there is a slightest of dusting.
snow conditions
Philip1972 wrote:
Ok I will jump in here.

Looking for a et of 235/65/70 winters.

Bloody Hell - Monster Truck, or what?? Toofy Grin
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
Then I contacted Chris @ Tyremen via this thread and only this morning, I took delivery of my lovely new alloys, pre-shod (is that a word?) with Goodyear UG9's and TPMS valves.
Sounds like good service. Are the TPMS valves correctly coded to your car, or do you need to take them in to a local dealer to get them paired?

I am told the TPMS valves have been programmed to talk to the car and that a simple 'reset' procedure (through the car's various menus) should be all that's required.
Time will tell, of course!
snow conditions
@Red Leon, lol, sorry 17 it should be!
snow conditions
Philip1972 wrote:
@Red Leon, lol, sorry 17 it should be!

I guessed - but I would like to see some 70" tyres!!
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
I am told the TPMS valves have been programmed to talk to the car and that a simple 'reset' procedure (through the car's various menus) should be all that's required.
Time will tell, of course!
Thanks, be interested in how you get on with this. My new car will have TPMS, unfortunately.
latest report
mooney058 wrote:

....Compromise. Do you wear the same shoes in summer and winter? Try runing in summer shoes, change directio and try stopping when there is a slightest of dusting.

Looks like a great opportunity for a new thread: winter shoes vs. summer shoes. Should we wear a helmet while doing this test?
snow conditions
Quote:

I've been to a Canadian oil sands mine - you should see the tyres on a Cat 797!
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=cat+797f
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I've been to a Canadian oil sands mine - you should see the tyres on a Cat 797!
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=cat+797f

According to wiki... "A size 55/80R63 radial tire was developed by Michelin in conjunction with Caterpillar specifically for the first generation 797.[18] The Caterpillar 797B and 797F run 4.028 m (13.22 ft) tall, 5,300 kg (11,680 lb) Michelin 59/80R63 XDR.

I'm not sure how an R63 can be 13' tall but whatever, they're impressive bits of kit
snow report
When I was there they cost... $70,000 per corner delivered!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy