Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynafit Vulcan

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone seen any UK retailers that are carrying/going to carry this boot? I'll be back in the UK over Christmas so want to see how it fits but can't find a sniff of it on the interwebs yet. Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM and Lockwoods aren't, would also be interested to hear if anyone will be.

Also interested in who's stocking the Technica Bodacious and Cochise 120...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sport Conrad in Germany has them and delivers to the UK

Bought skis, bindings & boots from them. Great service

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/25020
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999 wrote:

I got my Cochise boots from Backcountry UK. They still have the original 120 flex model for sale; probably worth giving em a bell and asking if they have any plans to get the new stuff in too. I'm guessing not, seeing as they have a bunch of new boots listed in the mountaineering section but none in the freeride section.

Profeet claim to stock the Cochise Pro and Pro Light models and they are competent bootfitters too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike Pow, thanks but I actually want to stick my foot into them and see how they fit before parting with wads of cash. My last go at boot fitting took in a fair few makes/models. Very Happy

Ideally I'd like to get everything done in one trip as I'm picking up new skis in the UK as well that I need to get mounted at the same time. I'd widen the search scope to Europe but that means explicitly going on holiday to get new boots with all the travel expense and time involved from Iceland. Or maybe that's a good excuse. Shocked

It's either that or open up my own ski shop in Reykjavik. Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't know if you've seen this, but worth a read

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/249261-Anyone-had-the-Dynafit-Vulcan-on-their-foot-yet-and-group-buy-insights
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Serriadh wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

I got my Cochise boots from Backcountry UK. They still have the original 120 flex model for sale; probably worth giving em a bell and asking if they have any plans to get the new stuff in too. I'm guessing not, seeing as they have a bunch of new boots listed in the mountaineering section but none in the freeride section.

Profeet claim to stock the Cochise Pro and Pro Light models and they are competent bootfitters too.

Ah, Profeet have several of the models in stock - cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, yarr been following that thread, had interesting feedback from the Backcountry UK guys about why they aren't stocking the Vulcan on Facebook:
"We have not ordered the Dynafit Vulcan for this season. When I tried on the Vulcan in February, I didn't like the flex of the carbon fibre cuff, I found the same on the carbon version of the Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain. Both boots didn't have an even, proggressive flex against the leg and I was very consious of pressure on the shin. I also tried on the none carbon versions of the two boots and found that the pressure on the shin was gone. One of the UIAGM Guides we sponsor has found the same thing in his carbon TLT 5 Mountain. At £750.00 the boot is aslo too expensive for the quality and technology beeing used. The Vulcan is the same last as the One PX so it is possible to size up in the One PX and order in the Vulcan. If you are looking for a stiffer perfromance ski mountaineering boot, the New Scarpa Maestrale RX and the Garmont Cosmos are also worth looking at."

Which chimes with what people are saying elsewhere. Maybe I'm falling for the hype getting excited by them.

Ideally I want to stick my foot into the Vulcan, Mercury, Maestrale RS and a few others. Basically anything as stiff as possible without compromising too much on the walk mode and weigth as I'll be human powered most of the time. The price point, point is a good one though the Vulcans are horribly expensive!

I'm going to pop into the store that stocks Scarpa kit this weekend and try on the Maestrale.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can only speak for the TLT 5 Performance but it is the best boot I've skied in. Does everything for me.

All the obvious things good and bad :

superlight
comfortable
easy touring
durable
expensive
can be cold if you feel the cold

And not so obvious,

laterally as stiff as the Lange plug boots I used to have
fore-aft very soft. If you ski with your shin on the tongue and the downhill ski trailing the uphill ski then forget it. You'll hate them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Basically anything as stiff as possible without compromising too much on the walk mode and weigth as I'll be human powered most of the time. The price point, point is a good one though the Vulcans are horribly expensive!

Take a look at the Technica offerings, several threads on TGR (and Blister Gear Review) have rather intrigued me...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also pretty sure one of the new Dynafit boots (Mercury maybe, forgot the name) is supposed to be the Vulcan without the carbon, apparently with a much nicer flex pattern (and presumably cheaper)...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999, all the info you have regarding Carbon on boots is true, it doesn't flex, it adds structure without weight I think it's a red herring, plastic flexes better without it, retains elasticity. We carry a couple of pairs of carbon boots each year for the "gottahave" crew. Take the Mercury if it the clog fits. And yes it's cheaper. Or if you want more precision for faster steeper decents, look at the Tecnica, however they have a massively reduced ROM for walking. The Scarpa is pretty but would steer this more towards someone who spends a good amount of time without skis on their feet, ie climbing. It has a great ROM and skis pretty well, but has a really low cuff and on certain sizes a really really really low cuff.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oh and Garmont, erm No.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CH2O wrote:
oh and Garmont, erm No.

That's a well reasoned argument. I'm convinced!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Serriadh, I've done my homework, don't worry.
ski holidays
Garmont really seem to have jumped the shark. Didn't their top boot designer leave? If they made a Shaman with changeable sole blocks, it would be awesome
snow conditions
Arno, There was a comment on TGR that the designer is now doing something with Sportiva.

I have been very happy with multiple pairs of Nordica Dobermann boots that were designed by him. I always thought that the Shaman would make a good coaching boot, similar last but grippy soles for walking about while looking after trainees.
ski holidays
Sadly Garmont seem to have really hit hard times, top staff leaving, quality dropping, athletes moving on due to poor product choice (paractially unheard of, cash is cash.) all this will lead to a drop in sales, more tightening of budgets, round and round we go. Scott are now looking to get involved, let's see what that does!
ski holidays
The new boots, Compo, Clegg and Foggy, are miles off the mark, laughable evn given by the improvents elsewhere and Salomon's imminent entry into Touring. Scarpa too seem to be behind the pace, the New Maestrale, albeit great is there only real progression outside the superlight series, for many years.
latest report
clarky999, the Technica boots don't have the awesome range of motion of the Dynafit and Scarpa stuff for the amount of skinning and general clambering about I do. From a bit more research it does seem to me that the Mercury is the boot to look at from Dynafit.

CH2O, yer am currently skiing in beat up three year old Garmont Radiums and their new boots don't seem to offer any improvement over them. They're not even a consideration this time around.

Mike Pow, I ski pretty balanced but AFAIK the Mercury/Vulcan are using the same design but different last to the TLT5? I also need to put them in AT Bindings as well as Tech Bindings which rules the TLT5 out from that perspective right? Unless I buy a pair of boots for each pair of skis. Shocked
ski holidays
Quote:

AFAIK the Mercury/Vulcan are using the same design but different last to the TLT5? I also need to put them in AT Bindings

Not the case i'm afraid, would have been a lovely idea, didn't run with it in the end, wider and slightly more volume, still damn awesome, will see alot of TLT5 users now wishing they'd waited, but that kind idea can run forever.
ski holidays
meh, It's a shame, everyone seems to have backed away from the overlap system, like your Garmonts, if favor of greater stride length that can be provided by a cabrio constrution, for sure we'll see the heavy end of the scale still use it, like the Lange XT et al, but for now, everyone has gone back to the original flexon type design.
latest report
meh wrote:

Mike Pow, I ski pretty balanced but AFAIK the Mercury/Vulcan are using the same design but different last to the TLT5? I also need to put them in AT Bindings as well as Tech Bindings which rules the TLT5 out from that perspective right? Unless I buy a pair of boots for each pair of skis. Shocked

Can't speak for AT bindings but my TLT 5 Performance boots fit the alpine bindings on my Head Magnum Supershapes.

Don't have them with me at the moment, but Tyrolia maybe?
snow report
Mike Pow, I had the weird idea that the TLT5 didn't work at all in non-tech bindings which is why it's shorter. Dunno why, I'll add it to the list for consideration then! Very Happy
snow report
Might be one of those "not recommended" things? Looking at some pictures, the heel and toe lugs on the TLT5 are substantially reduced compared to, say, the Titan. You've also got the slight toe flex, and that's not going to play well with bindings that need forward pressure (eg. any frame-based touring binding).

There are a various places you'll find discouragement if you do a search for "tlt5 fritschi". Compare with the age-old touring boots in alpine bindings discussions Smile
ski holidays
Serriadh, as the scar across my face gives testament.
ski holidays
It is possible to lock this off though with a few tools
latest report
Didn't have to do any adjustments or jiggery pokery even though the plastic toe and heel which I've been informed this evening are called 'lugs' is less than on other boots.

In a Look alpine binding for example it could well be a non-starter.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy