Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nancroix Advice Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
About to book an apartment for 8 in Nancroix for the week 5th Jan and am looking for a bit of advice.

I realise that it is slightly out in the sticks but from the information I have been given the bus stop is almost right outside the apartment, can anyone tell me what time the first bus is? I am just concious that the daylight is precious that time of the year so would preferably like to be not too long after the first lift.

Is it Eurostar'able? I know it gets into Bourg but how about getting from there to Nancroix, is there a bus or would it be taxi's? Ideas on price for the 'transfer'? Any further experience/advice (or whether it is a good idea vs. fly/car hire)?

In light of the above, would we need a car to get around once there or can it be done by use of the ski bus.

The basic focus of the holiday will definitely be skiing rather than drinking, thinking a beer or two at the end of the day after the last run down and then back to the apartment for the night (without the need to drive would be ideal, driving if need be with a couple of people just having the one). Can someone tell me this is doable and fairly hassle free so I can feel at ease and book in the knowledge that I am not going to be stuck in the middle of nowhere!

Anything else you might have to add would be appreciated, thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi blawford. genepi is the Peisey expert around here - I'll point this thread out to her.
There are plenty of taxis outside Bourg station usually, and on the way back, I think Aime station is closer - very "Eurostar-able". The buses work and I think there are basic shops including a bakers in the village - genepi will know better.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Blawford -For Nancroix you would be better getting off the train at Landry, there are taxis that will take you straight up via Peisey. Nancriox a nice place (although quiet) and there are options of cross-country skiing and/or snowshoeing nearby. I believe it is quite well served by navettes, tourist information can probably give you the timetable now. One of the local experts is SnowCrazy, who is a nice guy and generous with his knowledge you could PM him, although I am sure he'll be along in a moment Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both for the information. After posting I found a few SnowCrazy posts about the area so I have PM'd him in the hope that he will chime in.

Will see if I can find some more info on trains, although I would be very interested to hear what someone with some local knowledge thinks about Eurostar vs fly/drive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
blawford, Which chalet are you staying in? Nancroix, as has been said, is a lovely, traditional french village. Not sure about shops down there - I think the locals shop in Peisey, which is a bus trip away. The buses run about every half hour, & I'm sure they run early, as several of the ESF instructors live there & catch the bus to the lobster pot lift, & get up to the ski staion that way. They also run quite late, as we have taken the bus back to Plan Peisey after a meal at L'Ancolie.
You will find that the Eurostar timetable doesn't mention Landry as a stop - but coming out from UK you can get off there. On the way back, if you catch the TGV to Paris & then change to Eurostar, it will also stop. Unfortunately, the ditect eurostar on the way back to UK doesnt stop - no passport facilities in Landry! If coming out on a Saturday, the bus runs, but they can be a bit sniffy about taking luggage! I think its a deal they have with the local taxi drivers Evil or Very Mad If doing the taxi thing, I would book in advance so they are waiting there for you.
http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/navettes-station-gratuites-skieurs-pietons.html
http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/taxis.html
http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/
Some info for you there regarding navettes/taxis & the area Very Happy

Have a lovely trip - when are you going?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally I would take Eurostar to Paris and change to the overnight train with couchettes. You do have to change stations (Gare du Nord to Austerlitz but it is quite easy: a direct line on the Metro or taxi). That way you get 8 days skiing for 7 nights - instead of 6 days skiing, but without having to sit up all night in the train, like you do with the Eurostar night train. You arrive on the train about 7am or 7.30 (7.45 at Bourg St Maurice for me last year) and leave on the last Saturday at about 10pm (9.45 for me last year) so you get to ski both days. You do have to set out from London early Friday evening and return to London early Sunday morning, of course.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So what are the thoughts about getting around without cars if we were to get the train rather than fly? Sounds like it is doable with public transport?

Accommodation is http://www.pvr-rentals.com/tabid/65/cid/28/Nancroix%2BSecherie/default.aspx - getting out there on the 5th January.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blawford, this might be helpful (admittedly last season, but wouldn't really expect any change)
http://www.peisey-vallandry.com//documents/Fiche_horaire_du_11-02-12_au_09-03-12.pdf
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's nothing in Nancroix other than a fabulous (and priced accordingly) restaurant. There's a small general store in the next village down. If you are taking your own company and like a long bus ride to and from the bottom of the piste every day, it's ideal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
blawford, It looks a fabulous chalet Very Happy Can't work out if it is catered? If it isn't, getting supplies in could be tedious without a car, unless all the party are prepared to pitch in for a supermarket/bus trip.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It isn't catered so good point about the supermarket trips, hadn't thought about that. Probably rules out Eurostar then, although I couldn't find train information for the sleeper train anyway.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/

for snow train info
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
blawford, Or you can do an internet shop Very Happy They don't charge if you spend 100euros. I've not done it myself, but often see the van around.

http://www.superu-bourgsaintmaurice.com/portailu/local/pg_d_sysu_accueil_accueil

For day to day stuff - bread & milk etc, you can pick it up in Plan Peisey before you catch the lobster pots down to Peisey.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the overnight option I mentioned, changing trains in Paris, the Eurostar rail tickets become available (I think at French midnight) 120 days before travel and the French railways (SNCF) 90 days before travel. If you apply the moment they become available there are some very cheap tickets which quickly sell out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
blawford, did Eurostar for the first time last year overnight from london, wasn't as bad as i thought though we did go standard premier so had a bit more room, would do it again, we stayed in Peisey but at the end closest to Nancroix, you don't need a car, there are food shops in both Peisey and Plan Peisey so you can do shoping at the end of the day, there is a good cheese shop in Peisey as well as a butchers, bakers and small supermarket which is also the Intersports shop, its a bit of a walk from the lobster pots, however there are some of the ski shops up in Plan Peisey that will rent you a lockergenepi, has posted the tourist office website drop them an email they are very helpfull.

The L'ancolie in Nancroix is amazing its a set meal amzing food and lots of it its around €40 per head for the three course set menue but well worth it for a holiday blow out, we walked back to save on the bus fare Very Happy http://www.restaurant-lancolie-nancroix.com/. (they also do A la carte)

Oh the busses run early, as we caught the bus coming down from Nancroix to the lobster pots.

If you need rail infomation check out the Man in Seat 61 everything you ever need to knwo is there www.seat61.com
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy