Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Chamonix to Morgins?

Poster: A snowHead
As the title really.

I've a Stag weekend invite late March in Morgins PdS and was contemplating a week at Cham UCPA beforehand. Coach out, fly back with the other staggers.

The only missing link is the relatively short journey to Morgins but without a car.

Not sure how many people, may just be me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd have thought the regular geneva transfers would take you near there, as it's kinda en-route?

Which week are you at the Cham UCPA? I'm booked in for the 9th to the 16th
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow Hound, Try the SBB website nearer the time, it doesn't seem to have the timetable after early December.

It lists a quickest journey time of 3:35.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snow Hound, bit of a faff. I'd be tempted to travel light (use the UCPA gear) and hitch. Or travel even lighter, get to somewhere like Morzine or Avoriaz, and ski!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow Hound, Cham is not the ideal place to be to get to Morgins. You will have to go either via Thonon (I think, can't right now imagine a more dorect route) or Martigny. Cham-Martigny os easy but slow, Martigny-Morgins, hmm, no idea. I believe there is some new fangled thing called Googol that might help.

Morzine/Avoriaz would be easier, you can just ski yourself ober with a rucsac, assuming you have your own skis, etc.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easiest method would be to book one of the many minibus transfers from Cham to GVA airport (approx 30Eu) and join your friends there
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd look at train from cham to martigny and then bus from martigny to morgins.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skir67, so transfer from Geneva to Chamonix for your own week, transfer from Chamonix to Geneva to transfer from Geneva to Morgins for a weekend?

Doesn't feel very efficient to me...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, GVA to Cham is only about an hour and a quarter, 90 mins max. It's an easy, and cheap, option
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a friend who did just what your describing last year to come and visit us. The only sensible way we found was to take the train from Cham to Martigny, change trains to one to Aigle and then we picked him up from there to go up to resort. If your going under your own steam then a taxi from Aigle (or Monthey) that's slightly closer. One spanner in the works to mention is that the tunnel that goes from Montroc through to Valorcine is rumoured to be closed this winter so it would be a bus on that bit of the journey.
Whole thing will take around 3 hrs (or maybe slightly longer) or so. Our friend is doing it again this year so it can't be that bad - and the train journey is a scenic one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alj your friend needs to be aware that the trains wont be running from cham to martigny this year, there are replacement bus services though so its not the end of the world....
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edit.....actually, i'm not sure the buses are going to martigny, I think they probably stop at vallorcine Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep - its just the bit between Montroc and Vallorcine that would be by bus replacement - (that's what I've read)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alj, The SBB website lists the bus connections as well as the trains, it was showing a bus from Chamonix to Le Chatelard too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the train is currently terminating at chamonix with a bus from there to les tines, argentiere, montroc etc. The "marketing" says that it will be running for the winter, in reality it wont....
ski holidays
Wow that's a headache. Thanks for all your input. I've used the train then bus all the way from GVA to Morgins once before and to be honest it was long. Now we usually hire a car or get someone to pick us up from Aigle.

Am I right in thinking that its actually only about a 1 hour trip by car?

In my head I had myself skiing all day Friday with UCPA then making it to Morgins for beers with the boys. Looks like that isn't going to happen. 1/2 day skiing then spend the afternoon traveling is more likely.

Boarding with my board bag over my shoulders wouldn't be out of the question but 1 day full PDS pass just to make the trip would be expensive plus I've still got to make it to Morzine or Avoriaz.
ski holidays
Chamcham, Perhaps I wasn't so clear.

As ideas go, given all the options, a week In Chamonix followed by a weekend in Morgins using public transport is perhaps sub-optimal.

Spending a Saturday going Chamonix - GVA just to then go GVA - Morgins wouldn't be my idea of fun if I could (e.g.) simply ski from (e.g.) Morzine to Morgins with a pack on my back. Although that means I only (!) get to ski the PDS
snow report
under a new name wrote:
skir67, so transfer from Geneva to Chamonix for your own week, transfer from Chamonix to Geneva to transfer from Geneva to Morgins for a weekend?

not what I said. Puzzled
snow conditions
skir67 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

not what I said. Puzzled

Yes I think someone has been drinking and interneting. Though not illegal, it's highly inadvisable.

As much as it pains me to admit it I think Chamcham may be on to something. Cham-GVA-Morgins by transfer is 3-3.5 hours and 60-70 Euros? The slow train-bus-bus-train-train-bus debacle is going to take at least that, cost nearly as much and be a right pain in the harris?
latest report
This idea may be as mad as (or madder) than some of the others but hey what is Snowheads for?!

If you can get to Annemasse from Chamonix (maybe a transfer driver would run you to the railway station or kick you out at at the motorway exit and you could walk to the station) you could get a train to Thonon and bus up the valley to Chatel. The train/bus is a pretty joined up service. From there a taxi, hitch or walk over the pass. From Lac de Vonnes at the top of the village it is only about a 2 mile/40 minute walk to the centre of Morgins. At least you would work up a thirst!
snow report
skir67, no, it's what chamcham suggested.

Snow Hound, drinking and interneting? not me guv, hic.

My point is only that I think it's a bit of an odd journey to want to make. Now I will concede that if one really wanted to spend that week in Chamonix, to the exclusion of any other candidate resorts, well fair enough.

But your OP didn't suggest that and also did suggest that it was a relatively short journey. It is - as the crow flies - unfortunately there are some large rocks in the way.

If it was me, I'd plan my first week to make my changeover to meet my mates easier. That's all. I'm still thinking that I'd find cheap accom in Morzine or Avoriaz and ski over to meet them. That may be more complicated if you have to rent skis (and therefore have to return them to the original hire shop although that way, time yourself to arrive early morning in Morgins, rent skis there, ski over to Avoriaz/Morzine, stay there for a week then ski back to meet your mates and ultimately drop your skis off again at the end of the trip.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy