Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gadget for towing young children. Anyone tried it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have offered a pole to a snowboarder on several occasions - they usually just need a short pull across a flat, to save unclipping.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
musher, maybe, but IMHO having had kids on skis since they were 3/4 yrs old you want to be getting them to carry most/all of their kit from the start. I might still occasionally take a pair of poles if we have lots of steps, but they carry their own skis and always have done. It seems like making a rod for your own back not to Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum,

If my two were left with poles they'd kill each other. I can just about trust them with helmets. I'd rather they weren't able to damage themselves / anybody else at the moment, which means no skis or poles to carry if it can be avoided.

junior is getting useful, he will take one of the big bags at the airport and they both carry their own backpacks everywhere. The trouble is that he is at that age where he is growing so fast he's a bit like a gangly foal. All arms & legs but not a great deal of strength so coordinating all of those heavy & sharp things isn't a good idea. In a couple of years time he'll be carrying my skis - I can't wait Very Happy

pam w,
Occasionally I've offered a pole to a boarder and they have mistakenly thought it was for a tow Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you Pam, that's from all the boarders you've given a pull to in the past.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

because you need to get the weight well forward and transfer weight to the outside edge of the ski you're stepping onto

pam w, that sounds like a real gem of information Very Happy . Transfer the weight to the outside edge of the ski I'm stepping onto eh? I must try to commit that to memory.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, there was quite an interesting thread about skating, last year sometime. And you need to get all the weight up and forward onto that ski, so that you glide. Then you push off from the inside edge as you switch the weight over onto the other ski. I'm trying to imagine what it feels like - I'm sure there's a better description somewhere, and I wouldn't hold myself up as any kind of model of how to skate!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, here it is - started by someone called Megamum:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63266&highlight=skate
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, yes, I mentioned earlier that I'd posted one - I just hadn't gone back to look for it. It just seemed that you had summed it all up in that one concise sentence, and that then seemed easier to memorise than the thread itself, hence the comment. I would think knowing how to skate must be a necessity for using that device in the OP, but I still think it would be hard work.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm very bad at being towed by skiers, I keep pulling their baskets off... and then the shouting starts... Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Megamum, here it is - started by someone called Megamum:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63266&highlight=skate

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mally wrote:
Thank you Pam, that's from all the boarders you've given a pull to in the past.

What about pulling your fellow skiers??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways,

You're supposed to take a firm grip on the shaft wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here's my latest gadget...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have offered a pole to a snowboarder on several occasions

Me too! Word of warning, they don't like it when you prod at them with the pointy end.

'Skating' in ski's is just about muscle and a small amount of coordination. They may make it look effortless but it ain't, so the muscle bit is a prerequisite (as is balance and a certain amount of hip flexibility). You have to remember to tilt your front (ish) ski at an angle to the uphill direction you are going in to generate an edge to push off. You then lift the rear(ish) ski , point it uphill and 'skate' forward. As you do that, shift weight on to the forward foot as you 'fall' forward. Shifting all your weight on to the ski that you were pushing forward, continue go forward and let that ski edge slightly away and out in order to give you an edge to push off. You then alternatively repeat and repeat and repeat.

To see if you are basically equipped to perform this move: stand with your ski's together, then lift one leg to 90 degress, hold for three seconds with your ski parallel to the ground then alternate, alternate, alternate, etc. If you can do this easily without losing balance then you should be able to 'skate'. Another test is the ability to ski down the piste on one ski for some distance then alternating ski's while moving.

The key is to start slow and small, concentrating on the alternation, the pushing ski angle and lifting your ski level with the ground prior to pushing forward. If you look at ski instuctors they very often push off with their poles prior to 'skating' - that's because it's easier to initate the action whilst already moving. As you improve you will be able to glide more which is what looks graceful but which requires a much greater, well timed impetus and balance. You have to keep your weight shifting way forward on your pushing foot and this too can cause issues.

Common mistakes - pushing off on the wrong foot (queue rapid backwards slipping and occasional face plant), catching an edge on the slope or your own opposing ski (not lifting enough), falling over on the outside whilst on one ski (lifiting your ski too much and/or losing balance), edging the 'skated ski' too much and/or extending too far (not keeping the ski primarily flat on the plant and extending too far before lifting the rear ski).

I can 'skate' but I still look a bit ugly and still sometimes catch an edge when I'm not concentrating enough Embarassed .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy