Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gadget for towing young children. Anyone tried it?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.filarinskis.com/luggage/bags-and-packs/snowmule-bumbag-for-towing-small-children-/prod_4826.html

looks quite interesting.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, if it works it looks like a great idea.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess skiers couold use it for towing snowboarders around the flat bits as well Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've seen a similar thing incorporated into a rucksack before.. I'll see if I can find a link
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obvious solution to an everyday problem. Fair price as well to just take a punt on.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
feef wrote:
I've seen a similar thing incorporated into a rucksack before.. I'll see if I can find a link
do a Google for "SnowMule".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowshepherd sells the rucksacks. They've been mentioned on SH before. Shame they don't make them strong enough to tow grownups, too Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar,

I've looked at that before. When you're trying to carry 3 pairs of skis, boots, helmets Shocked you need all the help you can get. Towing the little darlings across the flat to get them to their lesson on time might also be a help, just not not sure if my skating skills are up to it though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Shame they don't make them strong enough to tow grownups, too

Laughing Laughing its could be possible if an adult uses both straps rather than one they are rated at 45kg each.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Live to ski, not with my mates at that rating.
Musher, thats my problem as well. Struggle to skate myself along, with my pidgeon toes it is near impossible to get into an inverted plough on my inside edges.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Teach the kids to skate - much less work. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is called a "ski pole" isn't it?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ianbradders,
Quote:

not with my mates at that rating.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, should sell well in Plagne Centre!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skinanny,

If I could skate properly I could probably teach them. If I could teach then they would probably be able to skate already.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Boredsurfing, should sell well in Plagne Centre!

The newly re-profiled Plagne Centre won't be flat ...so they say. Toofy Grin
But of course all of La Plagne is flat and ugly and should be avoided at all times. Very Happy
latest report
I had something like that once. It was called an au pair.
latest report
Bode Swiller, please clarify, was your au pair something for towing the kids around, or flat and ugly like La Plagne?

As for the Mule, think it looks a great addition to their range, I expect i'll be purchasing one in a season or twos time.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Laughing Laughing
latest report
Richard_Sideways, Both unfortunately
latest report
davidof wrote:
It is called a "ski pole" isn't it?

^indeed^ snowHead
snow conditions
I'm thinking why not just use one of those retractable dog leads Puzzled Shurely same idea and much cheepah Toofy Grin
ski holidays
using one of these takes the weight evenly round the waist - a dog lead would be more awkward, and might not be strong enough.

As for a ski pole, that leaves one skating in a lop-sided manner - skating without poles is that much harder. Ok for experts. I've towed people with a pole for short distances (snowboarders, usually) but it would be easier, over a distance, to be able to use both poles.
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2002027
snow report
pam w wrote:
using one of these takes the weight evenly round the waist - a dog lead would be more awkward, and might not be strong enough.

As for a ski pole, that leaves one skating in a lop-sided manner - skating without poles is that much harder. Ok for experts. I've towed people with a pole for short distances (snowboarders, usually) but it would be easier, over a distance, to be able to use both poles.

A single pole works just fine - I tow my son around all over the place with it without issue.
snow conditions
Quote:

A single pole works just fine - I tow my son around all over the place with it without issue.

stuarth, you are probably less than half my age, a lot stronger, and a better skater. wink
latest report
I pam w, but it looks a very good idea
snow report
This does look good but maybe not the best for younger children? mine is still not quite stead on his skis? if he falls I will be walking back up to him? And no way to giving snowboarder's a lift!! ha ha (my husband is a boarder!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My worry would be that it would make it too easy for the little bugs to think sod it, I'll get a drag of mum or dad. And still be doing it aged 15!! Also, I think skating is a good skill for the child to learn, so I'd like them to do it as early as possible rather than hanging on my coat tail. They've got more bloody energy than me anyhow. Having said all that it looks very handy.
snow conditions
I thought it seemed expensive for what it was and yes, I've encountered the problem it tries to solve, I don't think I'd have bought it even then. I think you'd be very adept at getting along yourself on the flat before you could make it work, and I am not so adept in that area. Sometime's I try to skate and just at the moment when I've done 3 or 4 in succession and thought 'Yes!! cracked it!' I seem to lose it and can never fathom out why!!
snow report
Megamum,
Quote:

'Yes!! cracked it!' I seem to lose it and can never fathom out why!!

It is usually the tails of your skis that after a few skates you sort of relax and then the tails get caught up, I found years ago that if you think about ski tails all the time it becomes second nature
snow conditions
I've had my kids hold onto my ski pole and skated on the flat before....
ski holidays
Sounds good. I would turn it round though and get them both to pull me!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Now your lads are older they possibly could........ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Teach the kids to shuffle and skate on the flats - it you are constantly pulling them they will never learn to do it themselves.......!
ski holidays
One word - rope
snow conditions
The thi9ng I like about much more than the tow ropes is that is has all sorts of fasteners and gadgets for attaching all their kit to. If I remember correctly you can strap 3 pairs of skis to it?
ski holidays
livetoski, when I do it I'm pretty sure it is just by chance and when it gels I think, 'wow! this works' it makes working a straight bit so much easier. I'm not sure I've even thought about exactly 'how' its done at the time I need to do it. I posted a thread once about it maybe I should look it up just before I go next time and see if I can do it the way that was explained. I am in awe of the French instructors that used to come speeding past me on the flat bits in Les Arcs around ski school meet up time and making it look so effortless.
ski holidays
Quote:

rope

coiled over your shoulder when you're finished towing! Very handy, and never likely to get caught up in a lift.

Elliebolton55, how come you'd be walking back up to him? It's not for towing them downhill!

I can skate OK on the flat, or a gentle (shortish....) uphill, particularly with two poles to help (I admired an ESF instructor I saw skiing quite fast uphill, with a huge armfull of slalom poles). I think skating is pretty hard for little ones because you need to get the weight well forward and transfer weight to the outside edge of the ski you're stepping onto, which doesn't come naturally to 4/5 year olds. I certainly wouldn't be towing anything other than teenies.
latest report
I have offered a pole to a snowboarder on several occasions - they usually just need a short pull across a flat, to save unclipping.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy