Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's in your bag?

Poster: A snowHead
With talk of transceivers and other equipment, I thought it might be interesting to see what everyone takes with them when out skiing.
It could become a useful resource for those who are wondering what to take, what is needed and what is overkill (I tend towards the latter description I think)

So... What's in your bag?

This is mine:

Kinda clockwise from the top-left:

two man bothy-bag/storm shelter
Water bottle
waterproof pen and waterproof note-pad
Drift helmet cam
map of the area and compass`
Leatherman Wave multi-tool
head torch
NotWax puck
Clip-on crampons
Spare hat
base-layer balaclava with windproof neck and face panel
Spare goggles
first aid kit
sunglasses
spare gloves
spare mid-weight fleece
avalanche probe
light-weight gore-tex paclite shell
shovel
4mm accessory cord (4m)
transceiver
waterproof iphone case and auxiliary battery

Not shown : screwdriver and snacks.

Bag's a Hagloffs Mountain Surf 30 and I've got a 3l drinks bladder in that too.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooh this could bcome a laminated list.

I take it this is for tours or routes someway from pistes, rather than a quick blatt down the blue? Why spares of everything? - a buff will do hat, balaclava etc, a belay jacket will compress well and serve multiple purposes. Wax is for sissies. What's the diary for? No duct tape or whistle?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i leave most of that stuff out to make room for my bong and crackpipe
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob wrote:

I take it this is for tours or routes someway from pistes, rather than a quick blatt down the blue? Why spares of everything? - a buff will do hat, balaclava etc, a belay jacket will compress well and serve multiple purposes. Wax is for sissies. What's the diary for? No duct tape or whistle?

I wear a helmet, rather than a hat, so t he spare hat is in case of loss or damage to the helmet.
I only use the windproof base-layer balaclava when the wind picks up and you get that needly spray in your face. Normally I don't bother with anything else.

Duct tape : I find that at low temps it doesn't stick very well.

Whistle : is integrated into the chest-strap clip on my rucksack.

I tend to just take that with me everywhere I go, as I don't always have a set plan for a day and could end up even side-piste where some if not all of it becomes valid.

A note-pad is just generally handy, whether it's handing out your number at the bar Wink or noting down itineraries, times and places to meet. I try to avoid using my phone for that sort of thing to conserve it's battery, although with that aux battery pack it's less of a concern.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crampons but no Ice Axe and no skins? What are you using the cord for? I'll do mine this evening so everyone can be as critical. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
feef, If youv'e got a Leatherman, why do you need a screwdriver - not shown?

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Wood741 wrote:

snowHead

The screw-driver in the leatherman isn't QUITE big enough to adjust bindings easily.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh wrote:
Crampons but no Ice Axe and no skins? What are you using the cord for? I'll do mine this evening so everyone can be as critical. Very Happy

Walking about on icy slopes in ski boots can be treacherous. I find crampons and poles to be adequate for most things.

That being said, I can only think of a couple of occasions where I've had to do that, but I was thankful at the time.

If I'm on terrain that I'd need my ice-axes, it'd be a different rucksack (Northface slipstream) and a slightly different set of kit, including harness and ice-screws Smile

Oh.. and skins will be added as soon as I own a set Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
feef wrote:
Chris Wood741 wrote:

snowHead

The screw-driver in the leatherman isn't QUITE big enough to adjust bindings easily.

I knew there would be a sensible reason. snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Wood741 wrote:

I knew there would be a sensible reason. snowHead

Don't say that.. people might think I'm sensible!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a jacket with a lined hood, so I don't bother with extra hats and its easy enough to zip up the jacket and pull all the drawcords to protect my head, neck and most of my face the weather. I do have a spare buff, mind you.

I don't bother with an extra shell or spare fleece. I do carry a lightweight down jacket though... means that there's an extra layer to throw on me (or whoever I'm with) if I'm immobilised due to injury (or a stopped lift). I might have some lightweight shell trousers if I'm only wearing lightweight softshell trews and poor weather is forecast (especially if there's a risk of rain).

I have a GPS separate from my phone. This means I can leave my phone safely packed and turned off and be reasonably assured of it having charge when I need it. It also means I get a decent GPS and the knowledge that I can run it for a whole day without worrying about it running out of charge when I most need it.

Just out of interest, why is your helmet cam in your bag and not on your helmet? (and on a related note, presumably the transceiver doesn't actually spend any time in your bag either)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that's alot of kit to be carrying!!

for a typical day out where I may do some off piste I carry this in a 15l bag

skins
cylinder screwed into snowpulse
reflective emergency space blanket
1 spare layer
v thin hat
shovel
probe
water
snacks
sandwich

then wear

1-2 thin layers
peeps
Goretex outer shell

This has done me fine from -20 to +20 in blizzards, rain, and scorching easter temps where I've come off the hill and had a beer in a pair of shorts!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Serriadh wrote:

Just out of interest, why is your helmet cam in your bag and not on your helmet? (and on a related note, presumably the transceiver doesn't actually spend any time in your bag either)

the helmet-cam case holds spare batteries and SD cards. Also, if I'm not filming I'll put it away.

And yes, the transceiver doesn't live in the bag either, but I included it for completeness.

With the bag packed (full water bottle, but empty drinks bladder) it comes in at 8.75Kg
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef wrote:
I wear a helmet, rather than a hat, so t he spare hat is in case of loss or damage to the helmet.

Blimey, you really are expecting things to get rough eh? Laughing If your helmet is damaged to the point it is unwearable, you probably have bigger issues to worry about. And if you manage to actually lose your helmet, then things really have gone pear-shaped.

I'd chuck out anything with the word "spare" in front of it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
feef wrote:

Blimey, you really are expecting things to get rough eh? Laughing If your helmet is damaged to the point it is unwearable, you probably have bigger issues to worry about. And if you manage to actually lose your helmet, then things really have gone pear-shaped.

It's not just for me, tho.. I always over-equip, but those I'm with often appreciate it when they do something stupid or lose or break something Smile
ski holidays
feef, then I'd say you have spare friends.
ski holidays
Quote:

Oh.. and skins will be added as soon as I own a set

feef, Dont forget the ski crampons to go with ur skins wink
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:

probably.. Smile but it's just how I am. I always over equip, it doesn't matter what I'm doing or who I'm with.

Markymark29 wrote:
Quote:

Oh.. and skins will be added as soon as I own a set

feef, Dont forget the ski crampons to go with ur skins wink

I have been looking at them Wink
snow report
feef wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
feef wrote:

It's not just for me, tho.. I always over-equip, but those I'm with often appreciate it when they do something stupid or lose or break something Smile

It's traditional for us Brits to be completely over packed. Very Happy
snow report
meh wrote:

It's traditional for us Brits to be completely over packed. Very Happy

...and yet when it comes to the Apres wear and 'normal' holiday luggage, I travel very light Smile
snow conditions
Wow, I have a piste map, face/lip cream, phone, camera, cash, credit card and some chocolate.
snow report
feef, Your minimal apparel advice can be witnessed in the Alpaka every Monday.
snow report
Cynic wrote:
feef, Your minimal apparel advice can be witnessed in the Alpaka every Monday.

I may have to take a look when I'm out there Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Conversation overheard at the office:

Q: Why do the management waste money laminating all the crap they give us?

A: So you can't wipe your back bottom on it.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:

Remember that every spare friend you bring with you means that the chances of you being the one who gets eaten by a bear decrease.
snow conditions
Serriadh wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:

Remember that every spare friend you bring with you means that the chances of you being the one who gets eaten by a bear decrease.

That's why the leatherman is handy...

Stab your mate and run/ski the other way
ski holidays
feef, have you tried skiing without all that weight on your back???
snow report
kitenski wrote:

Careful now; without his pack he'll be able to outrun you when the bears come.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh, he'll be pitching his shelter whilst I'm running away Twisted Evil
snow report
kitenski wrote:

It feels weird if I'm honest. I've been skiing, climbing, mountaineering, ice-climbing with a pack on for so long that NOT having something there feels alien.

I was thinking earlier, actually.. That pack doesn't weigh much more than the weight I've lost this summer, so if anything I will be skiing without it this season Smile
snow report
if you do duct tape .. to save space in your bag due to it usually being on a big roll, ... attach sticky end to ski pole just below hand grip and wind back on itself around pole until desired amount is dispensed... repeat on other pole.
ski holidays
I have three bags, 18L Arva Patroller, 25L Mystery Ranch Fuze and a 35L Berghaus Tour. Which gets used depends on the amount of stuff I want to cram into it. This is assuming that I'm currently skiing so wearing my helmet, jacket, transceiver, goggles and gloves. Most of the time I just take the Fuze though as it has by far the most comfortable suspension.

Avi Kit:
Shovel.
Probe.
CPR Mask.
SAM Splint.

General Stuff:
Phone.
GoPro.
Camera.
GPS.
Map & Compass.
Head Torch.
Leatherman.
Spare batteries.
Duct Tape.
Cutdown First Aid Kit.
Skins.
Down Jacket. (not if it's warm)
Windproof Jacket.
Water Bottle.
Sunglasses.

Jacket/Trouser Pockets:
Snacks.
Hat.
Powerstretch gloves.

I think that pretty much sums up my normal 'lets go skiing' kit that fits into the Patroller and would come with me on resort days or short tours. Additional stuff depends on the objective and is pretty much the usual assortment of ski crampons/crampons/ice axe/harness/ropes/rock pro/ice pro split up between the group as required. Out of that stuff it's most normally crampons and an axe that come along which pretty much sees everything up to Scottish Grade 1 out the way unless we go onto glaciated terrain.

With duct tape you can also push out the middle cardboard roll and squish it together into a block so it's space saving and not wrapped around something inconvenient. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

CPR Mask

meh, Whats that about, for use on you, or for your use on others? Is this normal kit, never occurred to me to have one of those.
ski holidays
Markymark29, for others, chances are you might have to perform resuscitation on anyone you dig out of an avalanche. A CPR Mask gives a much better seal than you can achieve otherwise. That and the first aid training to use it are often overlooked as part of basic avi safety, particularly if you do any touring hours away from any help.
snow report
These lists are more comprehensive than the packing list for the Royal Marines Artic Warfare Course.

Laughing snowHead
latest report
Half a sandwich, newspaper and wallet.
snow conditions
Can't believe any of the sHs survivalists haven't chipped in with Glock 9mm or vaseline soaked balls* yet.

* of cotton wool. See Keith Flint qv.
ski holidays
Keep packing it all in (Who forgot the stove and dehydrated chicken supreme? Where's my solar iPad charger?)... The weight of the pack is ironically probably the last straw that triggers the avalanche and makes all the gear necessary.
ski holidays
davidhammy,

What do you do with the other half?
latest report
feef, no Kendal Mint Cake? No water?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy