Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche transceiver advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
RattytheSnowRat, Haggis_Trap, My thoughts agree with yours, time is key factor, given a chance, probe, locate them and then get them out asap! let others find others buried and do same.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-10-12 13:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One other random comment.... Mammut Pulse looks a great beacon, though somewhat complex from my experience. Most recreational skiers would be better off with the Mammut Element from that manufacturer (same beacons, fewer buttons/ modes, 100 euro cheaper, no stupid lifesigns feature, still has a mask feature for multi-victim if that is important to you).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a bit of a negative vibe on the old Tracker 1. I know it's popular and it's very easy to use in the most common training scenario - searching for a single transeiver on or just below the surface.

As part of one course I took part in, we set up some deeper burial scenarios (nothing extreme, just more realistic 1 - 1.5m burials) and the Tracker 1 was frighteningly innaccurate. Really put me off, even though I'd recommended them previously.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haggis_Trap, +1 from me especially on the avalanche situations being different every time. All the research I have read shows this to be the case and stresses very strongly that its the digging stage which is crucial.

There are so many different scenario's that its difficult to list them all out here, other than to say that multiple burials and only one rescuer is a rare occurrence, thank goodness I would hate to be the one in this situation, however if I was I would try and rescue the closet victim assuming that they were all buried and no one was visible on the surface.

As mentioned above if you can see arms legs skis (still attached?) then this is your first rescue

If its multiple buried victims with multiple rescuers then it makes sense to still go for the closet beacon signal, then have at least 3 people shovelling one doing the tunnel and the others clearing the snow from behind as quick as possible, if there or more rescuers than 3 then the others could continue with their beacon search, to the next closest signal.

In multiple group search then one person should be nominated as a leader, if your with a guide then this is your guy or girl.

The other thing is that shovelling is really hard work and some people may not be up to it, this should be factored in to the rescue.

Alos always remember that some beacons switch back to transmit if you stand still, be careful this can confuse the rescuers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
I have a bit of a negative vibe on the old Tracker 1. I know it's popular and it's very easy to use in the most common training scenario

^ Yip - it is a 10/15 year old model.
In their day beacons like the Tracker 1 / Ortovox M2 or X1 were state of the art. Now they are a little dated.

With only 2 antenna you get 'spikes' as shown below.
3rd antenna helps resolve the issue significantly.

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevomcd, be glad this problem is even worse with single antenna beacons. It might seem frighteningly inaccurate but deep burials can be resolved with two antenna transceivers:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/BackcountryAccess/content/papers/PinpointonLine_Edgerly.pdf
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sure, well aware of all this, but the Tracker 1 was by far the worst transceiver out of all those we had to hand (including old single-antenna systems). It just didn't seem to be able to cope. Hot-spots 7 or 8m away from the burial, etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What is an efficient digging technique? I am genuinely interested!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ BCA have a video on this...
Spent much of a day on a group course about 5 years ago digging holes.
It really is the that part of the search that takes the longest and worth thinking about..

http://www.backcountryaccess.com/education-research/learn-about-av-safety/

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 3-10-12 16:11; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I retired my Tracker 1 following some tranceiver training in St Anton in January. In search mode it was dead slow compared to newer, three antenna beacons like the Pulse which I now own.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

What is an efficient digging technique? I am genuinely interested!

Leave the probe in the ground where it struck the victim and retreat downhill 1.5 times the depth of the inserted portion of the probe. The aim is not to dig the victim out in the max 13 mins you've got (15 mins -2 for search), rather you are trying to get someone's airway clear in that time, which is a more realistic goal. Hence dig into the slope from the side with the aim of exposing the head. A narrow shaft going down the probe might get deep quickly but you'll struggle once you reach a certain depth and it will be hard to broaden the pit out. You'll also be standing on them.

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/services/safety/forms/shoveling_technique.pdf

Actual digging wise, you want to chop blocks out of the snowpack with a stabbing or cutting motion using the shovel blade and then move them using the shovel rather than putting the shovel in the snow and then levering the snow out of the hole.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haggis_Trap, et al. perhaps I was not being very clear. I was NOT suggesting that you wander around "locating" everyone before deciding who to dig for.

But, if you search for and locate the first victim under (eg) 2m of debris and do not have enough rescuers/equipment to dig VERY well while still searching for others then I think there is a strong argument for marking the spot and then looking for other victims who could be more realistically extractable. How would you feel if you spent an hour digging, to almost certainly find a dead body, and then found that the "next" victim was a short distance away under 20cm. (but now also dead). I agree triage is not normally so clear cut but hopefully people see my point.

FWIW we are fully in agreement on all your points about "multiple burial features" not being a big decisive thing when picking a beacon. I love my Pulse because on all the courses/practice I have done it seems to pick up/be-pickupable about 5-10m beyond the range of the other transceivers Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BenAS wrote:
Some great advice, the follow up question for a bonus point is - where to buy?? - here/online (if so where) or in the alps/france.. (again if so where).

Interesting about talking off your receiver or not having it attached when you're searching, I've always wondered about that and thought that you would have it attached some how more to stop you from dropping it and seeing it slide down the hill as well as to avoid secondary slides.

Hey, did you get this transceiver?
Which model it is exactly?

I was also told to use snowshepherd.co.uk/

Thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy