Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with British Airways

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Everyone

I am flying out to Salzburg to start my season in Flachau on 8th December - yay!!

They allow a 23kg bag as part of the ticket and you can pay extra for an extra but not sure if they will let you take your skis and boots separately or whether they are really strict on bag numbers as opposed to weight!

If anyone has flown with them and could you give me some advice that'd be most appreciated.

Cheers

Marcus
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marcuswp123, Welcome to snowheads. Can't advise on BA, but welcome to the Amade crew. There's plenty of us about. What are you doing for the season - are you working or being a ski bum?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marcuswp123 wrote:
Hey Everyone

I am flying out to Salzburg to start my season in Flachau on 8th December - yay!!

They allow a 23kg bag as part of the ticket and you can pay extra for an extra but not sure if they will let you take your skis and boots separately or whether they are really strict on bag numbers as opposed to weight!

If anyone has flown with them and could you give me some advice that'd be most appreciated.

Cheers

Marcus

how about take the boots as hand luggage, skis + 1 other bag in the hold. Pretty sure skis and boot bag would be called 2 bags.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only one bag in the hold which can include skis up to 23kg, one cabin bag as hand baggage plus a laptop/handbag. So you pack your skis and clothing in one bag and take your boots on as hand baggage.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm cashing in some airmiles for the PSB, my tickets allow me 2 bags one of which can be a ski bag. I think it depends on your ticket. Unlike budget airlines I find BA telephone help very er..helpful and well informed - give them a ring!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm pretty sure BA pig & chicken class is one hold bag only. Feef flys Club Europe and gets 2 bags. I think Club World lets you take 3.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kevin Stephens, the allowance depends upon your executive club status and class of travel. I can't remember the rules exactly (they're on the website), but I've never had a problem with all the clobber as a silver member.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brill, thanks guys...as probably traveling cattle will have to devise a way of taking boots, 2 pairs of skis and clothes in two bags split 23kg's each.

Cheers for the advice though
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
marcuswp123, Welcome to snowheads. Can't advise on BA, but welcome to the Amade crew. There's plenty of us about. What are you doing for the season - are you working or being a ski bum?

Working as an instructor for the season. Well looking forward to it. Are there a few Brit's about out there then as kinda off the usual UK brochure scene.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marcuswp123, i have an apartment near the achterjet. most of my guests are dutch . what ski school are you with?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Am gonna be working for Sport Am Jet..been brushing up on my German so i can teach in that as well as English. Are there many Brits in and around Flachau??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcuswp123 wrote:
Brill, thanks guys...as probably traveling cattle will have to devise a way of taking boots, 2 pairs of skis and clothes in two bags split 23kg's each.

Cheers for the advice though

I have one mahoosive ski bag, that I can fit all of this into (need to put some clothes into my backpack/hand luggage though) - just try and find the biggest, cheapest one possible.

I don't know about BA, but many airlines seem to consider 1 ski bag + 1 boot bag = 1 item of equipment, as you don't generally have one without the other. Worth emailing them about, BA are usually pretty accommodating (on a recent thread I think three of us had turned up either a day early or a day late for a flight, BA let us fly anyway with no extra charge).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Clarky...yeah they appear to be pretty good about things and am fairly sure that they won't get funny about boots - as you say you generally don't have one without the other - and as long as i'm within the weight i figure that's all that matters!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcuswp123, they are alot stricter nowadays. 23kg = one big ski bag full of clothes and skis, then take boots as hand luggage. Or pay for 2nd bag and get 2 x 23kg bags on stuffed to the ginnels.

Unless you fly business/Club Europeor have BA status (silver or gold) you will need to pay for the 2nd bag
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
marcuswp123, not on holiday as such but there are expats. flangesax on here has a b&b in radstadt, kooky is in altenmarkt. I'll be out with some snowheads in January, samerberg sue here skis the area nearly every week.
ski holidays
if you do want another hold bag, and pay in advance for an extra bag its only about 25 quid for up to 23kg, which is pretty good compared to other airlines.
ski holidays
marcuswp123 wrote:
Thanks Clarky...yeah they appear to be pretty good about things and am fairly sure that they won't get funny about boots - as you say you generally don't have one without the other - and as long as i'm within the weight i figure that's all that matters!!

Just to be clear, I would DEFINITELY clarify with them first (unless you can find a big enough ski bag).

Though if you can fit your boots into your handlugguge it becomes a non-issue. If you need a backpack for ski use, you should be able to fit that and boots into one of those small suitcases that fit into hand luggage allowances.
snow conditions
Well, it goes w/o saying, never check your boots! And it doesn't take much to hit that 23kg limit with skis and poles.

And, yes for us folks travelling across the pond in club world, we get to check 3 bags. Which comes in handy for those Euro ski trips.
snow report
Quote:

Well, it goes w/o saying, never check your boots!

I always check my boots in. I can't be bothered lugging them around any longer than I need to. Sure, luggage can go missing, but it's only happened to me once in 20 years so I'm happy with those odds. If they go awol I have to ski in rental and I'll moan about it then, but in the meantime I have more important things to worry about, like getting through security with my sanity intact.

Quote:
am fairly sure that they won't get funny about boots

Re: BA - their rules are now simple, if not particularly skier friendly. For Economy class within Europe you can check in one bag up to 23kg. A separate ski bag is another bag, a boot bag would be another. They do relax the dimension restrictions for "sports equipment" so skis are fine so long as the bag is <23Kg, but a bag is a bag. Personally, I put boots inside my 100l Salomon roller bag with all my other gear, then skis poles and shovel handle go in a ski bag and I have to pay for the second bag. I think Swiss and the other Lufthansa owned companies still operate the rule that "ski equipment" is counted as 1 bag, and in fact that goes free anyway, so you can take boots and skis in separate bags so long as the total weight is under the allowance (and enforcement of this is not uniform, I've often *not* been asked to weigh the skis).
snow conditions
As sah said...

For Euro Traveller/UK Domestic, you're allowed one free bag with a 23Kg per bag limit.
For Club Europe/Business class, you're allowed 2 free bags with a 32Kg per bag limit.

Sporting equipment
There is no additional allowance for sporting equipment. If the total number of bags is more than your free checked allowance, you will need to pay extra bag charges. You can save money by paying for extra bags online before you check in. Charges at the airport will be higher.

This means that if you're flying Euro Traveller/UK Domestic, you need to pay for your ski bag in addition to the one 'free' piece of luggage you're checking in. It's £34 per bag for additional luggage, but each bag can be 23Kg (Euro Traveller) or 32Kg(club/business). As far as BA are concerned, a bag is a bag so you might as well put some more stuff in your ski bag if you can.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb
ski holidays
marcuswp123, If you are going for a season, why not ship your stuff by courier a few days before you arrive and then fly Ryan Don't Care without hold luggage as cheap as you can. Not only will you not have the hassle of lugging a season's worth of gear through the airport, it will make getting public transport to / from the airport a breeze. Try Shiply or Interparcel.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy