Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping instructors?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

And you are not compelled to give me another $60 at the end of the day, but neither am I compelled to accept you as a client the following day.

Bingo - that's exactly the attitude I was refering to earlier! The oh so delicate implied blackmail that poisons the whole tipping idea. "If you don't pay me extra, I won't do the job for you again, even though I am paid to do so."
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, I'm going to the US this year and hadn't even thought about the tipping thing - argh!

skinanny, or anyone else, any 'tips' on how much to tip a guide or instructor? Thanks!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BlueSky,

someone posted a list above and there are various anecdotal stories as well (tbh, I though the list looked low ball compared to my experiences with friends who live in NYC, NY). I would not, however, ask someone on the pro-humongous tipping side either.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BlueSky, It is up to you! If the lesson is rubbish-don't tip/do complain. If its a good lesson- tip what you deem appropriate 10-20% seems to be the going rat BUT anything is appreciated. If it is great-again tip what you deem appropriate but also make sure you pass on a good report to the director of the ski school. At the end of the day you probably have a budget, if you can't afford to tip a lot you should not feel you have to. Anecdotal evidence on various websites suggest a a gift of wine or decent chocs is appreciated. If you eat/drink with your instructor/guide on mountain it is kind of expected that you will foot the bill between you. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
Quote:

And you are not compelled to give me another $60 at the end of the day, but neither am I compelled to accept you as a client the following day.

Bingo - that's exactly the attitude I was refering to earlier! The oh so delicate implied blackmail that poisons the whole tipping idea. "If you don't pay me extra, I won't do the job for you again, even though I am paid to do so."

No blackmail intended - just trying to illustrate that it works both ways. If I don't enjoy teaching you I also have a choice whether I except the lesson or not.

Just for the record - I try very hard to fit my clients needs, and I am very good at customer service and doing the little extras that people appreciate. I never EXPECT a tip, but I would also never refuse one. I am not complaining about how much I get paid, nor am I upset or ranting in anyway about my working conditions.

However, tipping is a normal cultural practice in the USA, and I have been trying to defend that point. If you don't like it don't do it, we will understand it's because you are British, and you will have just gone one step further in confirming the stereotype of the British tourist.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skinanny wrote:
No blackmail intended - just trying to illustrate that it works both ways. If I don't enjoy teaching you I also have a choice whether I except the lesson or not.

Just for the record - I try very hard to fit my clients needs, and I am very good at customer service and doing the little extras that people appreciate. I never EXPECT a tip, but I would also never refuse one. I am not complaining about how much I get paid, nor am I upset or ranting in anyway about my working conditions.

However, tipping is a normal cultural practice in the USA, and I have been trying to defend that point. If you don't like it don't do it, we will understand it's because you are British, and you will have just gone one step further in confirming the stereotype of the British tourist.

rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skinanny wrote:

Culture/working practices point perfectly understood. It is one part of the USA that I don't like, but it is there and I can either take the whole package or go somewhere else.

There is however a significant difference between saying "if I don't enjoy teaching you" and "if you don't tip me", and you are equating the two things. This is what I think is perceived as "blackmail" (or at least a mercenary attitude).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
oldmancoyote, I'm not sure skinanny is conflating the two things. I'm sure that if she had witty, charming clients who made her day a delight, a tip would only be a minor consideration, if she had people who were going into it with a moaning mindset, already of the opinion that they'd been ripped off for the lesson price and determined to pick fault she's have another opinion. It's just likely
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skinanny wrote:
stereotype of the British tourist.

If we're talking stereotypes...
British tourists: don't tip, but are fairly polite and well spoken in the main (the stereotype of those Brits who can afford ski holidays, awk) - like our beer but we've got a good sense of humour
American tourists: tip loads. But you do have to put up with them.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, I'm sure you are right. But this is how the sequence of replies/posts came across - and not particularly in the case of skinanny. I think I misread skinanny's reply ("You are not compelled to tip; I am not compelled to teach", where she is making the general point about freedom of choice) as "You are not compelled therefore I am not compelled"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
oldmancoyote, I'm not sure skinanny is conflating the two things. I'm sure that if she had witty, charming clients who made her day a delight, a tip would only be a minor consideration, if she had people who were going into it with a moaning mindset, already of the opinion that they'd been ripped off for the lesson price and determined to pick fault she's have another opinion. It's just likely

Exactly!

And
Quote:
"You are not compelled to tip; I am not compelled to teach", where she is making the general point about freedom of choice)
is also what I was trying to say.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy