Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boots - recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Hey

I currently have Salamon Malamutes but they are getting on a bit (had them for past 4 years), and am looking to buy some new boots this season.

Budget is about £200.

I split my boarding time about 60:40 (on piste: off piste), and don't spend any time at all in the park (though I'll do little jumps onto/off the sides of pistes etc). Normal shoe size is 8-9 UK, depending on fit; 260-270 ski boot style (I don't do much skiing though - maybe 1 day in 6 years since "discovering" boarding).

I have a "wide-ish", short-ish foot.

I thought about some Salamon F22s but I think they are no longer being made?

Thanks for any advice.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not really possible to advise boots over the internet.

Go to a shop with a wide range of stock (different makes and styles) and keep trying them on until you fine a pair that fit snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look into Salamons and Thirty Two boots as they have wide offerings. You would need to try as many as possible and just when you think you've tried them all, go try some more.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go into Snow and Rock.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are several proper bootfitters referred to on here. Go see one of them.

Do not go into snow'n'rock
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, He's got a budget of £200! he wants to look not buy yet, go to one of your afforsaid they want your cash!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cynic, Ok, so he can (potentially) a. waste his £200 or b. (maybe) spend a little more but be assured of a good and correct fit.

Duh?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does he race or have funny feet? A shop can fit a customer with this budget

A fitter £80-100 for foot bed, £40-50 for fitting SO he has £60 for the boots, Duh indeed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Malumite is the most superb boot I ever had, could not imagine ever riding in anything else. First pair lasted 10 seasons (not holidays)... ok maybe 4 as I also skied a lot but i also took them out from time to time. Second pair from 09 10 bought as the price was too good were only broken in last season and are equally as fantastic as the first. Why change a winning formula ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup Malamut is hard to beat and improved this year! circa 330euros
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Malumite is the most superb boot I ever had

Malumite - you love 'em or you hate 'em.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's beyond love....

But true they are not for everyone, pretty stiff if you were jumping around all day, and not to forgiving sometimes.... and not for every foot type (I can barely get into a pair of burton boots) but I just love that tie down strap inside, the optional stiffeners are ok, but I like a stiffer boot as I rarely go in the park....(too busy overtaking skiers through moguls....heehee)

try a few pairs ? find something that fits good, I too am a slightly wider smaller foot, salomon seem to fit. I remember once trying some Vans that I was quite partial to, maybe give these a whirl.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry under a new name, the only usual SH regular thats ever mentioned fitting snowboard boots is SmallZooKeeper, and step one for a visit to him is 'go to Chamonix'.
I've asked several times on behalf of a friend who DOES have weird feet and is currently on her 6th or 7th pair of boots and still hasn't got a fit that won't kill her feet after about 5 minutes - Very few people offer the same fitting services you get for ski boots, if anyone knows different, let me know.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, Ooops, my bad. Snowboard boots are they?

I didn't realise they needed fitting? I was told by all my snowboarding friends that they were the most comfortable things since sliced slippers.

Oh well, live and learn, Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways, Is it the boots, or is it the bindings when riding ? snowboard boots are not dissimilar to ski boots in that some boots that fit one will not fit another, If you don't know what you are doing I would argue snowboard boots need fitting like ski boots (also thermofit liners) and the same or similar properties are requred, no/very little heel lift, toes just or not quite touching the end, different flex requirement depending on riding style.... also you get different forward lean in different boots. However you can also do this yourself, just try lots of pairs and go with the ones you feel would be the most comfortable for standing at a bar, walking a km to the bus stop and don't have barely any heel lift, you know it when you try them, any doubts don't buy.
snow report
Cynic wrote:
Does he race or have funny feet? A shop can fit a customer with this budget

A fitter £80-100 for foot bed, £40-50 for fitting SO he has £60 for the boots, Duh indeed.

These are softboots, I don't know of anyone who needs that serious of surgery to snowboarding boots. Heat molding is in my experience thrown in for free if you but from the shop (or you could bake them at home/break them in through riding). If you need serious fittings, look into a boot with Intuition liners (or buy a pair and throw them in, but you'll pay for it)

Salomons tend to have a narrower last (though they offer wide models) so if your feet really are wide you may want to look elsewhere, Burton generally uses a wide last, think ThirtyTwo does as well. Salomons are some of the most durable boots I've come across (except for the F-series boots, but my F22s are still my favorite for their beaten to hell and back soft flex and the small footprint was something i really took for granted but missed when I switched to Dialogues) and I've been sticking with them for a number of seasons now. Remember that boots should be your most important buy, you can ride any board and binding combo using the same skills, but if your feet are killing you or the boots aren't right for your riding style, you'll be suffering and not a happy camper.
ski holidays
Thanks all. I don't really "do" the park, and my riding is 2 or 3 trips per year (sadly a couple of mortgages don't allow for full seasons), split about evenly between on-piste and easy-ish off-piste/between the pistes stuff (with some slightly harder off piste every now and then e.g Grand Couloir at Courchevel or (for 2013) Vallee Blanche).

I am starting to get a fair bit of "top of the foot" pain with my "Marmites" (lol @ pam).

Any specific models in 32 or Vans?
snow conditions
F22, I bought a pair last year as was told (and since discovered it to be true) that Salamon are good for skinny calves & boney feet like mine. I throw myself at pretty much anything, even some little kickers in the park, and have to say, I'm loving these boots over the Burtons I had previously. I bought them from Sno& Rock last year, but instead of the 2012 model @ £240, I spoke to the guy serving me, who informed me that the only difference from the 2011 version was the stitching was a different colour!.... So 2011 model it was @ £99 instead of £240! Very Happy

Don't see people's problem with going to S&R, just use them to find the boot you like.... Then go home and Google a deal on em! wink
snow conditions
You can't take out the liners from the F22's, so limited scope for tweaking or modifications when things start to pack out.
snow conditions
boardiac, Steer clear of Thirty Two, once bomber, now fall apart oh so easy.
latest report
CH2O, they're done as an integrated system to reduce the footprint for any given size, handy if you're a 10 1/2 like me, but a drawback in other areas as you say. Mine haven't packed out too much, though I've only put about 8 weeks into them.
snow report
If anyone is looking at 32 boots the softer Lashed and firmer Prime are now made in true half sizes.
With others to follow so 32 says.

Salomon has alot of major boot changes this season the F-series 4.0 and 3.0 are very different with a wrap shell and single string lace .

When I tryed the 2013 Dialogues, the lower zone, side lace lock seemed to only half work or not lock securely.
While the other upper zone, front tongue lace lock was fine.
The inner liner lever lock is new and seemed easy to lock.
Pledge, triumph and 2.0 share the same side lace lock systems so it may pay to see what you think before buying.
If the side lace lock is suspect all salomon parts can be replaced or if it was just a few boots with new teething probs you would hope so.

Synapse is still a similar lace system as before and was ok so the Malamute will be but was not to be seen.
Only a criss cross front tongue lock is added plus all have a new inner lever lock on the liner.
The Synapse also comes in a Focus Boa model but yet to see it .

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 19-10-12 20:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Boas are the poo-poo in the good way. I use thirty two's. With flows.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy