Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daily Mail Ski Show: News updates, comment, golden memories ...

Poster: A snowHead
Well the ski show was on the local BBC news - although they didn't say that was where they were! They were interviewing Kevin Alderton, a blind skier who is hoping to break the speed skiing record for blind people (not on the slope at the ski show, I hasten to add wink ), and hoping to be a member of the Paralympic team. They also showed him skiing down a dry ski slope which I think may have been Bromley but not too sure. Anyway, good luck to him!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, who went to the show?

I've just had a look at the Daily Mail website to see if there's any exciting news of the first day of the show, but the cupboard seems to be bare. They have got this item today:
Quote:
Could Thatcher save the Tories?
A tearful Margaret Thatcher left 10 Downing Street for the last time as PM on November 28 1990. But almost 15 years on - as she celebrates her 80th birthday - and four Conservative Party leaders later, there are still those who believe she is the only person who is capable of lifting the Tories out of their current doldrums. Do you think she could sort the Tories out? Vote here

If you're still blinking at the above click here.

Could Thatcher save the Ski Show? Her daughter could. Carol Thatcher's a very keen skier.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Abominable snowHead, Save your money -- first time I've ever been and if you removed S&R , EB and the hot dog concessionaires you would have one very empty hall --- appallingly supported by the trade ... who organises it ? I'm afraid I've seen better shows on day-time TV.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chances of attending 0%
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting, because I was at the very first Daily Mail Ski Show in the year 2000BC. In truth, at a guess, it was late 1960s or early 1970s (do we have a Daily Mail Ski Show historian?) at the Horticultural Hall in Westminster.

The spirit and drive behind the whole Daily Mail Ski Thing (show, magazine, newspaper coverage) came from the late Sir David English - past editor of the paper, and owner of a chalet in Villars (I think) in Switzerland.

He then hired an impressario to run the show called Peter Anslow. At its height the Daily Mail Ski Show was one of the most spectacular live performances in London. Every year it drew the most flamboyant ski aerialists in the world, with a slope show that included great music, lasers, smoke effects, trampolinists, big rolling slope, you name it).

Very sad to get such a downbeat review from a newbie to the show. Someone save it, for God's sake, or put it out of its misery.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith,

I would probably go if I lived in London, so unless they move the show to Co. Antrim, I'll have to give it a miss.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you've got a tractor handy I think that would be a great idea.
The Daily Mail Rolling Ski Show.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like a plan Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Me and a few friends are going tomorrow. we always find a beer at lunchtime before we go in always helps with the wallet loosening and should help give an upbeat view. I think that if you are after something like a new jacket / helmet , goggles or something similar it is a good place to go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll probably pop in tomorrow afternoon as I'm going to be up in London with nothing else to do
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there a Wengen stand?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Goldsmith,

Don't go there
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, not that I've noticed, for that matter Switzerland does not seem to be represented either
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In that case, DGO, I'd be very careful who you talk to. There are some persuasive hustlers in that show.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've been reliably informed that there is a Baileys stand.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat,

Have you tried the Bushmills equivalent of Baileys? Very tasty stuff and produced in Co. Antrim. Forget what it is called though, it was that good!!!!!!!!
snow report
In that case the Ski Show should definitely be moved to County Antrim.
snow report
Sounds fair enough to me Very Happy
snow conditions
johnboy, haven't tried it... yet.
If you feel the need to send me a bottle of it, I would, of course, be obliged to taste it and let you know what I think..
ski holidays
eEvans,

Went last night. Arrived at around 830 thinking I only have 2 hours panic, panic....left at 945.

Agree with comments. S & R and E & B and that's about it. The rest was a bit like Roman Road Market Ski Version.

The people that work there really get me going too. It seems to be a prerequisite to stand around and chat with your colleagues, try and look as cool possible, and overtly drink booze in front of the paying punter, who you look down your nose at and do nothing to assist.

Fat Face were disgraceful where a group stood around in a group drinking and talking rot while one of them kept changing the music 25% of way through songs and he wasn't no Fat Boy Slim, nor Fat Face Slim (tee hee, couldn't resist)

Save your dough people
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi,

Know what you mean. I hate going into surf shops. Most of the assistants just want to chat to each other and make you feel like an back bottom while browsing.
snow report
That's a shame, johnboy. But feeling like a surf bum is some people's fantasy.
snow report
back bottom
ski holidays
Ha, Ha, beat the system Twisted Evil
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
Very sad to get such a downbeat review from a newbie to the show. Someone save it, for God's sake, or put it out of its misery.

I actually went again today ( courtesy of freebie ticket I would add and someone I wanted to meet) and I'm afraid my opinion is even worse second time around. No doubt it can ( and should) be saved but there needs to be an orhaniser who has the passion and wherewithal to make it happen ... otherwise it will die a nasty lingering death if it has beeen so much better in the past.

Only highlight -- that guy Plake. Not sure how extreme his skiing is , but that hairstyle is surreal!
ski holidays
johnboy, ha ha - you forgot the piste patrol wink I feel a father jack moment coming on ... Back Bottom.
snow report
eEvans, you've never seen a Glen Plake video, shame on you. I also went yesterday courtesy of a free ticket, I wouldn't have wanted to pay to go there.
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, but who guards the guardians? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David@traxvax, Thanks for the beer! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
David@traxvax wrote:
eEvans, you've never seen a Glen Plake video, shame on you. I also went yesterday courtesy of a free ticket, I wouldn't have wanted to pay to go there.

Yes , shame on me ... twill have to be done .
ski holidays
very dull

I had a good reason for going (don't really want to mention it for fear of provoking jealousy and resentment - alright it involves helicopters Very Happy )

otherwise it was pretty desperate - you can see a better range of gear walking between 4 or five shops at covent garden

j
snow report
I see that membership of the Daily Mail Ski Magazine forum has risen to a grand total of 48.

The main point of interest today is whether The Ambassador can blag a free beer off the forum's moderator Jillian, at the Ski Show. That thread is here:
http://dmss.proboards43.com/index.cgi?board=gendisc&action=display&thread=1129111174

No doubt His Excellency will report back shortly.
snow report
I see that Neil English, son of the Show's founder, describes it as "The biggest winter sports extravaganza in the world ..."

Yeah, baby!

[scroll down for link]
snow report
David, is Ski Show organising a lucrative business?
snow report
At a guess I should think the show was quite profitable back in the 1970s and early 1980s. It rose in size sufficiently to move into Earls Court for several years, but later had to retreat to Olympia. I'd be surprised if there's much money in it now, bearing in mind the costs of staging the central entertainment stuff.

Don't know if the organisers publish attendance figures from year to year. I guess the big stands like Snow+Rock have contracts guaranteeing them attendance numbers, but that's a guess.

London will have the Red Bull event in Trafalgar Square in a few weeks, though the story is that it'll be screened off to allow the 8000 spectators the view. This is certainly one to keep an eye on - Red Bull seem to be putting serious money into all kinds of action sports.
ski holidays
Natives.co.uk has an alternative take on the show: "This year the London Show has pushed the boundaries further than ever ..."

In US skispeak I guess that means the show has gone under the ropes and into 'backcountry Olympia'.

Anyway ... here's their photos and captions, including bare torso breakdancing!

Calm down, ladies.
latest report
David Goldsmith, Yes it is getting just a bit "kitch" isn't it, but the pasties from West Cornwall were nice! (you'll know what I mean if you've been there!)
However went with a friend looking to buy a pair of skis. There did seem to be good bargains around if you are prepared to buy last years skis. We saw a pair of Salomon Streeracers for £180.00 inc. bindings, which didn't seem too bad to me.
The entertainment wasn't too bad with aerials from the youngters on the slopes, and the guys on bikes on the Red Bull pipe were fun to watch.
So it's easy to knock this event as we do, but what should we be saying to the Daily Mail to make it better and above all attract more exhibitors and visitors? or shouldn't we bother - is the whole thing out of date and dead in the water/snow?
latest report
David Goldsmith, no I didn't get a free drink off her, but I did get into the VIP bit.

There was a lot less snow this year, only the landing zone of the main ramp had snow on it. It seemed busier, but that may just have been the queues at the Baileys stand (which was vying for my favourite one along with the Alfa stand Wink )
snow report
Quote:
="David Goldsmith"]I see that membership of the Daily Mail Ski Magazine forum has risen to a grand total of 48. ..........................

Well I tried 2 or 3 times, Now I have given up!
ski holidays
boredsurfin, me to! It appears you have to register for the website as well - but I couldn't be bothered.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy