Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: La Clusaz / Manigod-Merdassier / Le Grand Bornand - 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
The tannoy is now constantly reading out flights that are all cancelled. I think it's only a matter of time before we hear "EZY7286 to Liverpool is cancelled". On our departure gate it now says no information until 7.30pm. I'm now very bored

gvj, I thought you had missed some text lol!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gvj, If your nervy skiers are super nervy, you might want to think about Crest Voland. The blues in La Giettaz itself aren't harsh but they are comparatively narrow - the runs in Combloux and Jaillet are much wider, but if you start from La Giettaz, they would have to ski a long narrow blue back down - it winds through the trees and is quite Narnia-like, but it is narrow and so if we have guests that feel a bit wobbly with a lack of width, we take them to Crest Voland for a day to build a bit of confidence.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 19-01-13 17:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rick
Please tell me the snow hasn't started up again, at least they can get a chance to clear things
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowscreen, not snowed now for a good 45 minutes. Our plane is still in Lyon. I honestly don't think that there will be many inbound flights to here this evening. The backlog will be huge! The earlier Geneva to Liverpool flight is now scheduled to land at 10.55pm, yet our flight that was due to take off 2 hours later, is due in earlier. All a bit crazy, I just hope I get home this evening!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If your nervy skiers are super nervy, you might want to think about Crest Voland.

good idea.

Quote:

I'm now very bored

not got a good book, Rick? Never travel without one.

Don't mock the value of a meal voucher at Gva airport - I've spent a lot of time at that place and never yet been sufficiently desperate to spend enough money to buy a meal. A cup of coffee, paid for in euros at a robber baron rate of exchange, is usually enough!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gvj, For info, I noticed this year that Les Saisies is one of the destinations you can get a days skiing for a euro with your season's pass. Stayed for a week a few years ago and as pam w, says, there are some nice gentle blues there. Les Contamines is a bit further on - think that took about 1 1/2 hours from LGB if I remember correctly but that includes the Chinaillon-LGB leg.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm planning to ski in LGB this week actually and am a bit nervy myself these days, having only skied three times since a knee op. I'm skiing the harder reds and the very gentle black (kind of a red anyway, really) so don't need to necessarily stick to greens and blues, but not looking to go crazy either... Any tips on pistes to choose/avoid in LGB (e.g. the colour-coding of the piste is a bit off, quirks that might things a little trickier, pistes that get a bit bumpier or icier)?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
we should have stayed on the later flight! No bus to Lyon for us! We got onto the early flight. And now we are back off the aircraft, sat around waiting. raining not snowing now but several inches of snow everywhere. also waiting for a rescue plane with new crew as our crew are over their hours. GVA still shut Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
crazy_skier_jules, where are you, still in Geneva?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, yup, cursing everything to high heaven sat upstairs eating noodles! ah well.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
here are my pictures of some of the Geneva goings on http://s121.beta.photobucket.com/user/the-raven-girl/library/Geneva%20Chaos
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
crazy_skier_jules, your earlier flight is now coming up as cancelled, but ours is still saying its due to go. What a crap afternoon. I took lots of pics as well. What are they doing for you in terms of accommodation etc?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ricklovesthepowder, s**te. that's news to us. no word on accom yet. we f**ked up big time getting the earlier one! ah well.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crazy_skier_jules, i have info, your due to leave at 9.50pm, I'm due at 10pm. Fingers crossed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
crazy_skier_jules, Ricklovesthepowder, that looks horrendous - you poor things! Hopefully it won't be too long before you're climbing into your own bed at home, with nothing but happy memories of your ski holiday to think about. Fingers crossed for you. Looks like we're going to have some very late night arrivals here.
snow conditions
Birmingham flight is coming up as boarding! Hope this is true!
ski holidays
gvj, you could give Megeve a go. Some really nice cruisy blue and green stuff there.

Don't overlook the Manigod sector of La Clusaz! That's about half an hour by car (or there's probably a bus!), covered on the Aravis lift pass, and lovely.
snow conditions
Flight was cancelled, just raced to easyjet desk to have us put on the 7:35am flight tomo

Waiting on hotel details
snow report
Thanks for the tips everyone....heading back onto the autoroute shortly.....will be back on line tonight. Miranda re LGB runs we don't think any of them are badly miscategorised if you're happy on reds. La Duche can get very heavy from morning sun by midday if you've an iffy knee and Chardon Blanc (?) and tends to be nicer and quieter than the main blues down from the top of Terres Rougues if we're talking half term busy ie not now. Oh and the bottom on Envers down to the village can get cut up, narrow, crowded, icey, slushy etc....
ski holidays
Well let's try this again, sitting at the gate hoping to take of for Geneva at 7:35
Easyjet put us up in the Radisson at Stansted and gave us £13 each for food & included breakfast this morning.
We were quick so were on the 1st plane out today where as some of our flight yesterday won't fly till this afternoon
latest report
Mr Piehole, also easily accessible by ski from Beauregard Very Happy

well hey again guys! Our flight got cancelled last night! And now the terminal is mad chaos again. No staff, no info, no organisation.

snowscreen, good luck - they'd run out of hotel rooms in GVA by the time we got to the desk. I hope you get out here soon!!
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules, is the baggage hall still looking like a war zone? Did easyjet put you up in a hotel?
latest report
Well we just had one couple who didn't make it last night because their flight into LHR was cancelled so they couldn't even try to get to Geneva (the rest of their party made it on a delayed flight) and everyone else was either on an early flight or driving over, though they too were much later than expected. Fortunately the delayed couple are out for a fortnight, so missing the first day is not the end of the world. Sounds like Easyjet looked after you fairly well snowscreen.

gvj, thanks for that. I have made an error before in different ski areas thinking 'oh the pistes here are like this' and then you get on one of the same colour and think 'whoa... where did that come from?!' and couldn't remember whether there was anything like that in LGB having not been over for a couple of years due to injury etc.
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, what a pain for you both. Rick was lucky to get back last night - sounds like lots of people didn't. Any journey to or from an alpine resort when you get to your destination the same day you started hardly counts as a massive delay. wink Did you get the messages about a possible room in Geneva? Hope all goes well for today and that the awful travel conditions don't take too much of the shine off your holiday. snowHead

Wasn't there a group of SHs a couple of years ago who spent two nights bivouacking in Gva?
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, dunno, in departures not arrivals - probably!

pam w, yup - we managed to get the hotel room!! So so so thankful, have already thanked George on the thread he posted on.

Off through security now - not sure if internet on the other side - next time I post hopefully will be in England!!!!!!
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
crazy_skier_jules, is the baggage hall still looking like a war zone? Did easyjet put you up in a hotel?

Ricklovesthepowder, Thanks to the generous offer from Snowhead GeorgeVII who had booked and paid for a hotel room at the Airport Holiday Inn Express but had to cancel their trip, and a bit of Snowhead community networking snowHead , we were able to get crazy_skier_jules and her Mum into that hotel room last night, see this thread.

crazy_skier_jules and her Mum expect to be flying out from GVA 11:15am (fingers crossed!)

Edit: Just saw crazy_skier_jules had posted above.
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules, GeorgeVII, Alastair Pink, that's such great news (just read the other thread). Another terrific example of Snowheads co-operation and ingenuity. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
^ ^ ^ This Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I agree and we're eternally thankful! Still think M Piehole's epic mission finding Flowa's purse was amazing. SnowHeads teamwork for the win!
snow report
We are safely back in the Aravis. Give me snow on the autoroute any day (even with a dash of black ice) over the horrors of flying when it goes pear-shaped. Glad all have got to where they need to be.
Mrs gvj has a lesson booked for two hours tomorrow from 11.15 from the top of the Rosay bubble. So if anyone's around then and would like to ski anything at all in LGB, let me know.
ski holidays
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
I agree and we're eternally thankful! Still think M Piehole's epic mission finding Flowa's purse was amazing. SnowHeads teamwork for the win!

I drive past that spot about once or twice a month and have a little chuckle to myself.

Not far from Chevaline actually, where that bad stuff happened.
snow conditions
Managed to get on the slopes for 2pm and had a great afternoon, nice bit of sun to start us off.
Currently snowing so will be a cold walk to the bakery tomorrow I imagine.
Early start for us tomorrow, managed to change our skiers lesson to tomorrow 10-12, everything went smoothly today and yesterday's problems are forgotten.
We only really missed 4-5 hours slope time .
Knackered after a lack of sleep and this mornings early start, have been lucky with travel today and how well we were treated last night by Easyjet
ski holidays
Medium snow showers on and off today in LGB under a grey sky so rather flat light but really lovely snow on piste. A bit tracked out in places off piste but holding up really well and with more snow coming this week conditions really are great.
Both of us very impressed with Jaques from Starski. Very patient, pleasant and full of good advice. Mrs gvj's skiing visibly improved after just one session Very Happy
snow report
How quiet are the pistes at the moment, heading up to La Clusaz on Sunday for a week (4 1/2 sleeps to go Very Happy ).
ski holidays
Snowed all day and all night on and off yesterday which meant today was amazing, lovely powder on piste and bright sunshine
ski holidays
snowscreen, sounds like you're having a good week! snowHead
snow report
kez, the pistes are very quiet. In LGB the sunshine brings out the locals so the parkings get fuller quicker but it's all relative; pre half term I don't think you'll ever have more than two people in front of you in a lift "queue" here.
Conditions were indeed epic today both off and on piste - all the makings of a classic season so far snow-wise.
Tomorrow we try cross country skiing for the first time.... Might prove interesting .......
snow report
snowscreen, gvj, glad you're having more of the great weather & conditions we had, and hope it continues for you kez, and you all get back safely & on time!
snow conditions
Quote:

Tomorrow we try cross country skiing for the first time.... Might prove interesting .......

let us know how it goes. Some photos from LGB would be nice. snowHead
ski holidays
gvj, Look forward to hearing about that - looks to be a pretty good workout! Thinking of possibly trying it at half term.
pam w, Am in LGB for the day tomorrow before heading to Samoens to meet up with friends - lazy way to find out but is it easy to post photos? if so I'll try to oblige.............
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy