Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving v Stivoting...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
She's got a sort of adapted jump turn that does not rely on the ski edging but rather relies on the lack of front and back ski weight to enable her to 'force' the ski's round much the same way that a snow boarder that's not edging relies on the board following the direction of their shoulders. It's freaking ugly - trust me (there's a bit of a stem christie turn in there somewhere as well). When she has longer ski's, getting the mass moving for the turn proves more difficult since she has to fight the inertia rather than letting the ski do the work. It's not a 'blade' turn - I know what you mean about that (hate that feeling myself) but it's not that sudden and they rely on edging more. Like the skier in the video she's not really rising and falling much but relying on weight shift and kicking the ski's round whilst basically staying more or less upright. Needless to say it don't really fly when the speed mounts so she keeps the kph down and trundles back and foward across the slope. On the occasion of her facing the fall line her head basically remains totally level with minimal knee flex or hip articulation.

Since her primary concern is not to fall over she refuses to adapt or take any classes. I have tried to train her out of it for years and given up.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Serriadh wrote:
fatbob wrote:
There's more progressive US ski schools offering rocker specific lessons

There's a need for rocker specific ski lessons?

Lesson 1 takes place on snowblades to help learn how not to wheelie and fall on your @rse
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999 wrote:
There's been a trend for longer skis for probably the last 5 years already!

Having recently cleared a 190cm touring ski and a 210cm GS ski from the attic I for one won't be heading back up the numbers any time soon.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The trend for longer skis has been helped by rocker, I just bought some 195 powder skis, If they were fully cambered they would be tough to ski at the speeds that I ski at in Niseko, but given that only 2/3rds of them are going to be on the ground most of the time, I'm thinking they should be fine. The 190 GS skis that I have are frankly a pain to ski in the course, much prefer the 175, 17m cheater skis that I teach on.

But as for race technology filtering down, I can't see it happening too much, yeah some wannabes (me) will always buy the latest race gear, but realistically, for a recreational skier to ski on anything approaching a WC GS ski would be very unpleasant for them, it won't catch on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jimmer wrote:
The trend for longer skis has been helped by rocker, I just bought some 195 powder skis, If they were fully cambered they would be tough to ski at the speeds that I ski at in Niseko, but given that only 2/3rds of them are going to be on the ground most of the time, I'm thinking they should be fine.

Taking on the Scandis Jimmer? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jimmer wrote:
But as for race technology filtering down, I can't see it happening too much, yeah some wannabes (me) will always buy the latest race gear, but realistically, for a recreational skier to ski on anything approaching a WC GS ski would be very unpleasant for them, it won't catch on.

Race skis have also not been 'cool' for quite some time. The marketing and fashion is all about park, pow, big mountain regardless of what joe bloggs actually skis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stivoting ?? That's just an emergency stop (in order to make the turn) in disguise
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, most of the Scandis couldn't keep up when I was on 185s, they have no chance with 195s Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting what TL had to say about the new ski lengths today...which makes sense as it was really soft when i was out in Coronet...

The burning question all summer has been how to adapt to the newly mandated ski dimensions, particularly in GS where the changes are most drastic.

“I got a good jump on it and I've had great skis from Head,” says Ligety. “It takes a lot of work and time, but I'm happy with where I am right now. I think softer snow is really where the new skis will make a bigger difference. It is basically impossible to ski cleanly on (them) when it's soft, so hopefully we'll see a concerted effort to prepare the slopes well, inject them, use the proper amount of salt and prepare the courses well... otherwise it could be difficult next year.”
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nickski wrote:
Stivoting ?? That's just an emergency stop (in order to make the turn) in disguise

Yeah, unsure of who came up with the term 'stivoting' but 'skivoting' would be more appropriate.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jimmer wrote:
Mike Pow, most of the Scandis couldn't keep up when I was on 185s, they have no chance with 195s Wink

snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit more interesting views here...

http://www.skiracing-digital.com/skiracing/20101125?pg=57#pg57
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ron le Master gave a good analysis of this technique:

http://www.ronlemaster.com/articles/skidding-SR6_TechTalk.pdf

If it helps racers go faster then they'll carry on whether it looks pretty or not.

For recreational skiers it's good to be able to carve turns and skid turns - different tools for different terrain - so I can't see what the problem is. If you have the skill to control the skid and carving elements to the degree that these racers do then you're doing well. If you only have one turn in your toolbox you're not going to get very far.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think there is a problem perse with Stivoting...it's more to do with why the Racers are having to do it.

The FIS have put in new rules re ski racing, to slow things down and create less 'G' forces on the body...apparantly.

They want to reduce injuries, which apparantly are occuring in Junior skiers, where compression of the joints through those forces are occuring.

Who knows....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its nothing new and I really don't think its a side cut issue. Modern race snowboards have variable side cuts but racers still have to do this (some people call it slarving) turn. Racing is about speed not looking pretty. Check out the video, not skiing but it explains the process pretty well.

http://youtube.com/v/EWEs9AWlmJ0&feature=relmfu
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy